Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat would be the most convenient answer, yes.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12728724&mesg_id=12729391
12729391, That would be the most convenient answer, yes.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Feb-17-15 05:09 PM
The "this is a dream" film interpretation is a popular one whenever there's something that doesn't make sense on the screen. I think Inarritu would've mentioned that the end was a dream in an interview somewhere if that was the case. He's been pretty open about saying that he wanted the end to be ambiguous.

But I agree that ending makes the most sense. I don't think you not seeing that is dumb-- the idea that the ending is a series of flashes before his eyes isn't firmly established on the screen, so not seeing it makes sense. It's a take that one would need to be specifically looking for. (I'll specifically look for it on my re-watch to see if it's firmly established on screen... but, again, I suspect it isn't.)

(I'm also inclined to say I shouldn't be debating the particulars of a film I haven't seen in four months, so it's very possible others will present evidence that has simply left my mind.)