Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAs a comedy writer you took the joke the other way?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12726553&mesg_id=12728459
12728459, As a comedy writer you took the joke the other way?
Posted by handle, Mon Feb-16-15 06:38 PM
This joke is a litmus test I guess.

I came into the joke with the life-experience/world-view of "Merkins are funny things" side of it.

You came to it on the life-experience/world-view of "People historically have made jokes about pubic hair and nappy hair being the same."

(I'm assuming a racist would also come in from that perspective too -just with the additional thought of "And that's funny!")

Starting from there we took the joke in a different way.

Now, you want "proof" that ROBERT SMIGEL meant the joke in the way you didn't take it?

I remember that from comedy - the rule of three, the call-back, and the always submit "proof' of your intended point of view and make it clear enough to be used as "proof" on the Internet.

There's a racial sensitivity I didn't realize until you "black-'splained" it to me. (hey, did that sound as condensing as "white-'splaining? If so - then I'm sorry.)

The way I see it now could be taken this way:

1)There's along tradition of accusing black people for having pubic hair on their head.
2)?uestlove is bald.
3)?uestlove wears a toupee made of pubic hair to replace the pubic hair he's missing on his head, because of item 1.

Seen from that perspective it is not funny, and disgustingly racist.