Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject3 Muslim American students killed in Chapel Hill, NC (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12724448
12724448, 3 Muslim American students killed in Chapel Hill, NC (swipe)
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 08:13 AM
https://news.yahoo.com/three-muslim-american-students-killed-in-chapel-hill-shooting-112228584.html

Three young Muslims, including a newly-wed couple, were shot dead in their home in a North Carolina neighbourhood in the US.

Students Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, were found shot dead at their apartment in Chapel Hill near the University of North Carolina (UNC) campus.

A 46-year-old man, identified by police as Craig Stephen Hicks, has been charged with three counts of first degree murder.

Police arrived at the building complex following reports of gunshots at 5:11pm on Tuesday. The man reportedly turned himself in later than evening.

All three victims were shot in the head, sources told WRAL news network. A motive has not yet been confirmed.

Barakat, a second-year dental student at UNC, and Mohammad, who was due to begin her dental studies, were married in December.

"It is with deep sadness that we share with you the news that the victims included Deah Barakat, a second-year student in the School of Dentistry, and his wife, Yusor, who had planned to begin her dental studies here in the fall. Her sister, Razan, a student at N.C. State University, was also killed," UNC said in a statement.

The incident sparked widespread outrage on social media network Twitter, and the hashtag #ChapelHillShooting was trending across the US and around the world.

Several users circulated images of the smiling victims using the hashtag, while others called for more extensive media coverage. Others speculated the murders were a "hate crime". A separate hashtag #MuslimLivesMatter began trending on Wednesday.

A Facebook page called 'Our Three Winners' has been set up in memory of the victims.

"It sorrows us all to see what has happened here today. Please rely on each other and remember these beautiful souls in your happy thoughts. Their faith meant a lot to them, and it is in fact what helps us all feel at peace with the tragedy of their murder," a post read.

Barakat and Mohammad have been described as "well-liked" and active members of the community, involved in several volunteer charity events.

A tweet by Barakat posted in January was also widely shared. “It's so freaking sad to hear people saying we should ‘kill Jews’ or ‘kill Palestinians’. As if that's going to solve anything,” it read.

12724455, Welcome to our world
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 08:20 AM
I just read about Black Wall Street the other day so-- kinda numb to this. At least the town is still there and the killer didn't pose with the bodies.

12724532, We need a movie about Black Wall Street.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 09:28 AM
12724457, The bigots are already applauding this guy
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Feb-11-15 08:22 AM
I've seen plenty of comments saying "Good job American!" and whatnot. It's really sickening.
12724476, what?!
Posted by Binlahab, Wed Feb-11-15 08:46 AM
i refuse to believe that

nobody would be that callous not in real numbers

nah

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
12724551, Yep, they are.
Posted by Huey, Wed Feb-11-15 09:34 AM
12724584, Are we surprised?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 09:42 AM
12725376, noap
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Feb-11-15 05:23 PM
12724484, Damn
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Feb-11-15 08:52 AM
12724486, the gov't/media was doing their best to prevent this
Posted by seasoned vet, Wed Feb-11-15 08:53 AM
it was bound to happen
12724536, RE: the gov't/media was doing their best to prevent this
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 09:29 AM
I hope this is sarcasm
12724552, you really need to find something else to do than be on my dick
Posted by seasoned vet, Wed Feb-11-15 09:35 AM
12724570, did you make this thread?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 09:39 AM
fucking weirdo

nigga came in my thread and told me to get off his dick...lol
12724777, cmon
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Wed Feb-11-15 11:28 AM
12724507, Fry this Nutjob
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Feb-11-15 09:11 AM
12724572, That's worse than scratching chickenpox
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 09:39 AM
12724528, RE: 3 Muslim American students killed in Chapel Hill, NC (swipe)
Posted by murph71, Wed Feb-11-15 09:25 AM

I wonder what the folks at FOX News r thinking.....?
12724541, Fox News swipe
Posted by Marbles, Wed Feb-11-15 09:30 AM

This Fox article paints him as an avowed atheist and anti-religion nut.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/11/north-carolina-man-charged-in-shooting-death-three-people/

A man who portrayed himself as an avowed atheist on social media was in custody early Wednesday after allegedly gunning down three Muslim students in a condominium complex near the University of North Carolina hours earlier.

Craig Stephen Hicks, 46, was charged with three counts of first-degree murder after turning himself in to police in Chapel Hill overnight. Police have not given a motive for the triple homicide, although a Facebook page in Hicks' name described him as a supporter of “Atheists for Equality” and in a recent post he asked “why radical Christians and radical Muslims are so opposed to each others’ influence when they agree about so many ideological issues.” The victims' religion and Hicks' outspoken beliefs fueled broad online speculation that the murders were a hate crime.

Those killed were Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; his wife, Yusor Abu-Salha, 21; and her sister, Raleigh, N.C. resident Razan Abu-Salha, Chapel Hill Police said in a statement.

Barakat was studying dentistry at the University of North Carolina, while his wife and sister-in-law were attending North Carolina State University, according to the Raleigh News-Observer.

Chapel Hill police found the victims dead at the scene after responding to a report of gunshots at a condominium complex at 5:11 p.m. Tuesday. Hicks is being held at Durham County Jail without bond. All three were shot in the head, authorities said.

Barakat and Abu-Salha were married Dec. 27, according to the Raleigh News-Observer. She had attended high school in Raleigh, and was on track to graduate from college in December with a degree in biological sciences, according to a North Carolina State University news release. Her sister was studying architecture and environmental design at North Carolina State.

Barakat, a Syrian-American, had majored in business administration and management at North Carolina State before enrolling at UNC-Chapel Hill two years ago to pursue his doctorate in dental surgery. He and his new wife worked for a charity that provided dental care to people in the United States and the Middle East. A Facebook post by Barakat dated Jan. 29 detailed a Durham project that provided dental supplies and food to homeless people this year.

He and 10 other dental students at the school were scheduled to go to Turkey in the summer, where they were going to treat Syrian refugees as part of a project organized by UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry and the Syrian-American Medical Society. Hours after the murders, more than $8,200 had been donated to the online campaign for "Project: Refugee Smiles."

The Facebook page believed to belong to the suspect said he was a paralegal studies student at Durham Technical Community College. The page's author described himself as a fan of Thomas Paine’s "The Age of Reason" and atheist author Richard Dawkins’ "The God Delusion."

In one online post, Hicks allegedly wrote: "When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I."

UNC Chancellor Carol Folt is expected to issue a statement sometime Wednesday. Meanwhile, the school issued a statement.

"We are sensitive to the impact an incident of this nature has on campus and in the community," the school said. "We understand you want to know the facts as quickly as possible. At the same time, we must respect the job our Chapel Hill police have as they investigate this crime."
12724633, damn between this and dean smith chapel hill getn all kinds of
Posted by mikediggz, Wed Feb-11-15 10:03 AM
coverage this week
12724642, This right in my back yard, I hope there are no followers.
Posted by Huey, Wed Feb-11-15 10:06 AM
12724665, Muslim American is not a thing
Posted by John Forte, Wed Feb-11-15 10:15 AM
No one is ever referred to as Christian American or Mormon American. Muslim is not an ethnicity.
12724677, OK
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 10:18 AM
12724780, yeah, that struck me as odd
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Wed Feb-11-15 11:29 AM
12724952, sure. y'all can keep pretending like
Posted by astralblak, Wed Feb-11-15 01:07 PM
9/11 didn't racialize a ethnic (Arab) and religious (Muslim) belief

WE are other:
Blacks
Native Americans / Indigenous
native born dark skinned Latinos
most Latino immigrants
Africans
Arab Muslims (be they from Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Pakistan etc)
Sikhs
Desi folk
non acculturated and poor/working class Asians
LGBTers

other other other other

hyphens at all cost to distinguish whiteness in the age of supposed post-race mutliculturalism
12724964, you forgot Jews
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 01:16 PM
I mean I know people like to think they're white people, but ummm...
12724976, agree with you but one thing....
Posted by guru0509, Wed Feb-11-15 01:25 PM

>Arab Muslims (be they from Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Pakistan
>etc)

pakistanis arent arab.

12725035, thanks
Posted by astralblak, Wed Feb-11-15 01:56 PM
i def could use a lot of schooling on SEAsia
12725002, Oh, I'm with you, but I want them to say
Posted by John Forte, Wed Feb-11-15 01:42 PM
Pakistani Americans
Arabs
Egyptian Americans

whatever

Acknowledge the racial element. Americans don't hate Bosnian Muslims or even Indonesian Muslims.
12725006, ^^^
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Wed Feb-11-15 01:43 PM
12725128, assuming you're right-- just give it time
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 02:55 PM
12725161, i see. i can dig it
Posted by astralblak, Wed Feb-11-15 03:20 PM
12724684, how is it a hate crime?
Posted by labcoat, Wed Feb-11-15 10:19 AM
did the guy set out to kill muslims?
im confused

like what does their religion have to do with their deaths?
12724732, did you see the part about his online post?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 10:55 AM
In one online post, Hicks allegedly wrote: "When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I."

seems obvious to me but I'm sure they are still investigating
12725194, ugggh why do i know too many people that would write something
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Wed Feb-11-15 03:41 PM
like that

like seriously i just read something on facebook but it was one of those memes with erme(full metal jacket) telling americans to take back their country!
12724734, you do realize alot of americans hate muslims right? this dude
Posted by mikediggz, Wed Feb-11-15 10:57 AM
looks like the good ole boy type too
12724953, what
Posted by astralblak, Wed Feb-11-15 01:08 PM
12724704, Waiting for Bill Maher to demand all non-murderous atheists condemn this
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Feb-11-15 10:29 AM
12725375, if he even mentions it
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Feb-11-15 05:22 PM
12724768, Atheist got yals 1st martyr!
Posted by SeV, Wed Feb-11-15 11:22 AM

but im banned tho.

Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!
12724776, Atheism getting more and more like a regular religion now
Posted by dafriquan, Wed Feb-11-15 11:28 AM
cause you know they're gonna get "persecuted" over this.
12724817, yup
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 11:50 AM
12724823, atheism is not a thing. stop trying to make it a thing
Posted by John Forte, Wed Feb-11-15 11:54 AM
12724833, it's the absence of a thing.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Feb-11-15 11:56 AM
there is no thing.
12724843, might be too late...
Posted by dafriquan, Wed Feb-11-15 12:02 PM
while some atheists have been steadfast in maintaining no association to anything.
lately other atheists have been trying really hard to make it "a thing". having organizations and meeting places.

12724831, is the shooter an atheist?
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Feb-11-15 11:56 AM
12724845, yes
Posted by dafriquan, Wed Feb-11-15 12:02 PM
Three Muslims killed in US; radical atheist in police custody - International
http://www.jpost.com/International/Suspected-atheist-in-police-custody-after-allegedly-killing-three-Muslims-in-US-390682

Progressive Atheist Kills 3 Muslim Students, Media Ignores
http://dailycaller.com/2015/02/11/progressive-atheist-kills-3-muslim-students-media-ignores/

Alot of media is running with Atheist killer as the headline.
Like I said persecution helps crystallize "religions".

There's gonna be atheist talking heads on TV soon
so called representatives of a "non-thing"

I agree that atheism is not religion, what i am saying is that is becoming "like" one.
12724866, cool
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Feb-11-15 12:14 PM
12724859, word
Posted by GirlChild, Wed Feb-11-15 12:09 PM
12727668, Atheism is a religion in itself.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sat Feb-14-15 07:10 PM
While Christianity had the Crusades and the Inquisition, Atheism had Communism which trumped them both in body counts and human rights violations.
12727855, no
Posted by Tommy-B, Sun Feb-15-15 03:45 PM
12724871, Nothing more atheist than shooting 3 kids over a parking space
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Feb-11-15 12:16 PM
12724879, parking space?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 12:21 PM
12724898, Not much info on it but I just saw the parking spot thing too (swipe)
Posted by Marbles, Wed Feb-11-15 12:38 PM

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/police-parking-dispute-sparks-killing-of-3-near-unc-wvideo/2217247

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — A long-running parking dispute between neighbors motivated a man to kill a woman, her husband and her sister at a quiet condominium complex near the University of North Carolina campus, police said Wednesday.

Beyond the parking dispute, police didn't comment further on the motivation or details of the crime, but a Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization asked authorities to address speculation — much of it on social media — about possible anti-Muslim bias.

Craig Stephen Hicks, 46, was charged with three counts of first-degree murder in Tuesday's shooting of Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, of Chapel Hill; Yusor Mohammad, 21, of Chapel Hill; and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, of Raleigh

Barakat and Mohammad were married, and Abu-Salha was Mohammad's sister.

Hicks appeared briefly in court Wednesday morning. He spoke only to answer that he understood the charges and to confirm an indigency affidavit. District Judge Marcia Morey said he would be appointed a public defender and held without bond until a March 4 probable cause hearing.

Police said Hicks was cooperating with the investigation and that their preliminary investigation showed that the parking dispute was the motive.

But on social media, many raised concerns that religious bias might be involved.

"Based on the brutal nature of this crime ... the religious attire of two of the victims, and the rising anti-Muslim rhetoric in American society, we urge state and federal law enforcement authorities to quickly address speculation of a possible bias motive in this case," Nihad Awad, of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said in a statement.

In an email, Chapel Hill police Chief Chris Blue said, "We understand the concerns about the possibility that this was hate-motivated, and we will exhaust every lead to determine if that is the case."

Abdullah Antepli, director of Muslim affairs at nearby Duke University, issued a statement calling for people not to jump to conclusions over the motive for the killings.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in North Carolina that encompasses Chapel Hill didn't immediately return messages seeking comment about whether federal prosecutors were involved in the investigation or looking into a possible hate crime.

At UNC, Barakat was a second-year dental student, and Yusor was scheduled to begin dental studies in the fall.

Both had graduated from North Carolina State University, school spokesman Mick Kulikowski said. Barakat graduated with a business administration degree in the spring of 2013. Mohammad graduated in December with a biological sciences degree.

Abu-Salha was a sophomore design major who had started classes last fall, Kulikowski said.

The neighborhood where they were found — about three miles east of campus — consists mostly of apartments and condominiums rented by students. Neighbors there said Wednesday morning that never before seen police or had crime problems.

"It's a very quiet community," resident Bethany Boring told WRAL-TV. "It's a lot of graduate and professional students. You know, professional families."

Crime tape hung near the apartment where the victims were found, but otherwise there was no indication of a crime scene. Outside the victim's apartment, a woman's bicycle with a helmet was parked by the stairs.
12725023, just heard about the parking spot on the news
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 01:49 PM
sounds like bullshit to me.

execution style over parking? FOH

12725135, ask Brew or John Forte about fucking with a man's parking
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Feb-11-15 03:00 PM
12725172, They're trying too hard. This was a hate crime.
Posted by bentagain, Wed Feb-11-15 03:26 PM
let me find out he had an American Sniper ticket stub
12724877, Jeb Boone's tweet tho
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 12:20 PM
Somebody wake up @billmaher, an atheist leader has yet to apologize for #ChapelHillShooting. I can't do all the apologizing myself
12724979, Anyone else allowing that this might not be about religion?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-11-15 01:27 PM
It would fit into a nice easy narrative if it were but there really isn't that much evidence of anything yet other than the killer was not muslim and the victims were.

The media is point to dude's facebook page, as evidence of an anti-muslim bent but the facebook page I see is more complicated than that:

https://www.facebook.com/craig.hicks.967?fref=photo

dude is anti-religion in general not specifically anti-islam.

Also note dude is a self-described LGBT Ally.

I mention the LGBT thing to say that this might not be a red neck good old boy who killed muslims to win amurrica back. If it were it would be easy to know where to direct our rage. But the truth might be more complicated than that.

Maybe.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12724985, I'd like to, but I think the history books say too much
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 01:32 PM
3 people execution style? I mean it maybe can't be proved similar to Trayvon Martin, but what kind of hate was it? Even if it's just religious hate in general it's still a hate crime isn't it?
12725020, My bet is it will come out dude is mentally ill. Granted, that isn't an
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-11-15 01:48 PM
explanation available to black people or Muslims but it probably would better explain his motivation than a deep seated muslim rage.

I don't know. I am wait and see mode.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12725036, nah, his FB page doesn't look like he is ill...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 01:57 PM
I wonder if the photo at the top of his page was put up right before he killed them.

12725072, IDK. People that post only about one subject come off as crazy to me.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-11-15 02:20 PM
Dude is all Atheism, dogs and I support gay people. Nary a having brunch with the fam post.

12725180, true... he definitely made Atheism sound like a religion
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Feb-11-15 03:33 PM
12725397, after all the hatred American Sniper caused, I would not doubt this is a hate crime.
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Feb-11-15 05:36 PM
even if he is a friend of the LBGT community
12725069, I need a full bio on this fucktard like they do us
Posted by bentagain, Wed Feb-11-15 02:18 PM
Was he ever in a LEO

Was he ever enlisted in the armed services

What drugs were in the blood sample that I'm sure they took from him

Was he ever arrested

etc...
12726031, pretty sure it will be brought up it there is anything
Posted by Huey, Thu Feb-12-15 02:06 PM
12725112, US Christian Terrorist Murders 3 Muslim Students
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Feb-11-15 02:44 PM
I just figured I'd punch up the headline a bit... even if it's not 100% accurate, it's not 100% not accurate.
12725188, No, it is 100% incorrect.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Wed Feb-11-15 03:38 PM
Dude isn't a Christian. Quit trying to shoehorn Christianity into this. Some of you cats just can't help yourselves. SMH.

Since 1976
12725309, you're missing the point
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Feb-11-15 04:34 PM
The headline is where you tell your lies to get people to click or read something. The media uses this tactic to get hits, it's not about your sensibilities or anything like that, why would a paper care about that as long as people buy them?
12725315, but he did kill 3 people... so not 100% incorrect
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Feb-11-15 04:37 PM
i was making a stupid point that we label anyone of middle eastern descent who is involved in a crime a Muslim terrorist regardless of their actual religious beliefs.

It was a shitty attempt at satire.
12725511, Ok, my bad on that. On the real....
Posted by The Wordsmith, Wed Feb-11-15 08:35 PM
....there were those who initially made the claim that it was a Christian terrorist act until it came out that dude hated all faiths. When I read the story linked in the O.P. I did wonder what did them being Muslim have to do with the story.

Since 1976
12725320, Wooosh...
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Feb-11-15 04:39 PM
12725371, Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Feb-11-15 05:21 PM
A good friend of mine was a teacher of the two girls and her children are friends with their younger siblings.

My heart is heavy.
12725377, it's sad man. Illogical, wrong, and sad.
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Feb-11-15 05:23 PM
12725413, Prayer Vigil tonight the Pit on UNC campus at 6:30PM
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Feb-11-15 05:51 PM
We are gathering to honor the lives, work, and memory of these three beautiful people. PLEASE NOTE that the time and location of this event has changed. The vigil will start at 6:30 p.m. at The Pit on UNC's campus. Stay tuned for further details and look here for parking assistance: http://www.parkonthehill.com/
12725459, Quran Khatm for #UNCShooting Victims
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Feb-11-15 06:38 PM
https://docs.google.com/a/vcu.edu/spreadsheets/d/1CUvNkvO8JaBiNHvCEaWB_VCPSV1RY-TUw2xRMNtFnK4/edit?pli=1#gid=0
12725999, Watch Live: Watch Live: Funeral for 3 Killed Near UNC - 1:35p ET
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Thu Feb-12-15 01:28 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/watch-live-watch-live-funeral-3-killed-near-unc-1-n305186
12727681, a mosque was burned in texas too. but won't call it hate crime
Posted by Riot, Sat Feb-14-15 07:45 PM
12727821, ^^^ and we know who burns churches, they're telling on themselves
Posted by bentagain, Sun Feb-15-15 01:12 PM
12727920, As Houston Islamic Center Burns, Firefighter Posts, "Let it burn...block the fire hydrant."
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Sun Feb-15-15 07:39 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/14/1364404/-As-Houston-Islamic-Center-Burns-Firefighter-Posts-Let-it-burn-block-the-fire-hydrant
12727933, one of the 3 killed was a dental student raising money for a trip
Posted by shygurl, Sun Feb-15-15 08:43 PM
http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/syrian-dental-relief/206249

donate!
12727973, "this is a hate crime" spray painted on RI islamic school
Posted by Riot, Sun Feb-15-15 11:13 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/cair-calls-hate-crime-probe-vandalism-targeting-rhode-032800479.html