Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectdid Roger Troutman change the sound of R&B?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12724366
12724366, did Roger Troutman change the sound of R&B?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
between his ability at playing various instruments and of course the talk box and his singing what you think?

Poll question: did Roger Troutman change the sound of R&B?

Poll result (4 votes)
Yes (2 votes)Vote
naw (2 votes)Vote
in between on this (0 votes)Vote
another Greasy haired Jerri Curl cat from back in the day (0 votes)Vote

12724461, I think he took R&B from the Freddie Jackson/ Alexander O'Neal
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Feb-11-15 08:26 AM
era into the Bobby Brown/Jodeci era.

There's a certain level of "cool" and contemporary flavor in the slow jams of the latter.
Rodger was kinda the first the bring that to the table in the most palatable way.
Of course he stems from the George Clinton school of funk where Bootsy, who made
"I'd Rather Be With You" also stemmed from, but whereas George and Bootsy were hella
silly with their funk, Rogder came with some shit that wouldn't cause your girl to bust out
laughing in your face if you played it on Valentine's day but still had the cool and flavor
of some funkier slow jams by Funkadelic offspring. I'm hard pressed to think of who may
have brought that to the table before him. I mean, you can rap over "Computer Love"
TODAY and it still go hard. Who else was that forward looking?
12724465, He helped usher R&B in to the computerized 80s and thus into
Posted by T Reynolds, Wed Feb-11-15 08:32 AM
its modern aesthetics.

It's a sound obviously is regional, most heavily adhered to in the West Coast and the Midwest, but the whose influence carried over to modern R&B as a whole.
12724791, Word, I think that's probably what make song like "Computer Love"
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Feb-11-15 11:33 AM
and "I Wanna Be Your Man" kinda prophetic too.
He left the sound of instruments alone way back then even though George blatantly
did it first with "Computer Games"... Rodger followed and made it a lil more relatable.