Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSpiderman is joining the MCU (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12722915
12722915, Spiderman is joining the MCU (swipe)
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-10-15 12:04 AM
Black Panther and the rest of that shit getting pushed back

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Marvel's Kevin Feige to Produce Next Installment of the Spider-Man Franchise with Amy Pascal

(Culver City, California, and Burbank, California February 09, 2015) – Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man.

Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.

The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel's world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU.

Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: "Spider-Man is one of Marvel's great characters, beloved around the world. We're thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building."

"We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. "This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans."

"Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future," added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.

"I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. "Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel's involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years."

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.
12722920, THEY BETTER BE KEEPING GARFIELD.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Tue Feb-10-15 12:14 AM
HE'S GREAT.
12722921, I hope they recast the role... with Garfield.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Feb-10-15 12:17 AM
The cat who likes lasagna.
12722922, I believe it means the world to him, so I dig his portrayal.
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Tue Feb-10-15 12:17 AM
That struck the biggest chord with me. People bagged on the last one, but I had very few problems with it and none at all with him. Tobey Maguire shoulda been out after part one, if anything.
12722924, He and Stone deserved better movies.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Tue Feb-10-15 12:20 AM
Sally Field too.

The first one was ok. The second one was all over the place.
12722929, What was the logic of making her Gwen tho?
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Tue Feb-10-15 12:25 AM
I still don't get it. They did it twice, casting known redheads as not the most iconic redheaded human in comics?
12722936, They did cast a redhead as MJ.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Tue Feb-10-15 12:30 AM
The Divergent girl (name escapes me).

Nerds raged that she wasn't sufficiently hot.

Her cameo got cut. Then they were going to recast. Unsure if the decision was related to nerds.
12723045, i really liked his spiderman....
Posted by bleekgilliam_420, Tue Feb-10-15 09:42 AM
but had a tougher time with him as peter parker.
still, i kind of feel for him. he was not the problem with either of those movies. i really wish he had a better story to work with.
12722927, nah he gone.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-10-15 12:23 AM
they gonna pretend like ASM never happened even though he's way better than Dopey Mcguire.
12722925, God, I would LOVE to see the contract for this arrangement.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Feb-10-15 12:21 AM
There are so many things that they worked out that I want to see.
12722942, Amazing!
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Feb-10-15 12:33 AM

I'm really surprised.

Seriously hoping we see Miles Morales in the MCU sooner than later
12722946, if anything i think it pushes Miles even further back
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-10-15 12:39 AM
or to a netflix show. i wouldn't mind that tho.

Marvel's gonna want to play with their shiny new (old) toy for a minute though
12722952, I would prefer a Miles Morales show animated or otherwise, anyway
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Feb-10-15 12:46 AM

This definitely pushes Miles appearance in film up rather than further away as sony had NO plans for his black ass while Marvel will probably fuck with him eventually
12722953, Hmmmm.....
Posted by murph71, Tue Feb-10-15 12:48 AM

Spidey appearing in the Infinity stones storyline with ALL the Marvel characters not including X Men and FF? And Civil War?????

I'm in....
12722954, Amy pascal's comeback project.
Posted by gusto, Tue Feb-10-15 12:50 AM
should be an easy grapefruit for her to hit it out of the park to make everyone forget. shit, almost everybody already forgot
12722974, NEVER FORGET.
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Feb-10-15 05:24 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-amy-pascal-scott-756438
12723072, ^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted by eldealo, Tue Feb-10-15 09:58 AM
>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-amy-pascal-scott-756438

exactly!!

-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.infin8photography.com
http://leicanthrope.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/infin8photo
http://www.facebook.com/INFIN8Photography
12723088, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't give a fuck, huh?
Posted by DVS, Tue Feb-10-15 10:12 AM
People do that everyday...it's a tasteless joke but who hasn't cracked one of those?

D
12723106, Nah, I'm the same.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Tue Feb-10-15 10:27 AM
Shit's just jokes.

*shrug*
12723186, there's a lot more to the Pascal story than racist emails
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Feb-10-15 11:08 AM
(see also: http://sonyhack.gawker.com/)

To me, this is a tasteless misstep in a series of tasteless missteps. I mean, granted, she's only human, but she's a human who's very bad about what she puts into work emails.
12723636, pretty much
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-10-15 02:05 PM
12723070, RE: Amy pascal's comeback project.
Posted by eldealo, Tue Feb-10-15 09:57 AM
she also projected that Amazing Spider-Man 2 would rake in over a billion. So I'm not sure how much credit she will deserve on any future Spidey movies. She better be kissing Feige's ass.
-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.infin8photography.com
http://leicanthrope.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/infin8photo
http://www.facebook.com/INFIN8Photography
12722973, Talk about a golden ass parachute
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Feb-10-15 05:22 AM
(Amy Pascal was removed from her position as co-chair of Sony Pictures last week, following all of that hacking/"The Interview" nonsense):

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-sony-amy-pascal-stepping-down-20150205-story.html
12722975, how many times are they gonna reboot this thing?
Posted by Binlahab, Tue Feb-10-15 05:24 AM
sheesh

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
12722987, so, credits scene in ultron, role in civil war? or just credits
Posted by Riot, Tue Feb-10-15 07:53 AM
In civil war?

Im guessing civil war is written and itd take alot to drop spidey in w/o disrupting the storyline
12723016, Unfortunately, throwing characters 'just because' is a comic movie mainstay
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-10-15 09:06 AM
>In civil war?
>
>Im guessing civil war is written and itd take alot to drop
>spidey in w/o disrupting the storyline

Marvel's avoided it so far, but goddamn those Xmen and Spiderman movies have a history of throwing in side characters/villians just because.
12723056, with all the rumors of this
Posted by bleekgilliam_420, Tue Feb-10-15 09:48 AM

>Im guessing civil war is written and itd take alot to drop
>spidey in w/o disrupting the storyline

i feel like there possibly two scripts out there. on in cause they could get spidey and one with out. especially since a deal like this takes so long to be worked out. no telling what the writers have been doing behind the scenes.
12723076, it seems clear to me that they had two plans
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Feb-10-15 10:01 AM
the one they announced (w/o spider-man) was the backup in case they couldn't get the deal done. I'd assume the scripts, etc. are already in place

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
12723081, I think a good way to do it would be to start in AOU....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 10:06 AM
I think if you ramp up the allusions that there are other/many heroes out there aside from the Avengers in AOU, you could drop Spidey in there with an after credits scene, then maybe have him Civil War.

Of course he wouldn't have a major role. I think the MCU heads will wait until they get to do their own Spidey movie before he gets featured in a major way.

EDIT:

Come to think about it, I think a good way to go about it would be to use plot point in the comics from the 80's/90's where Spidey was a reserve Avenger. Maybe after Ultron fucks shit up, Shield/Stark/Fury decide that they need more personnel and/or firepower and should groom replacements/stand-ins for emergencies. Then you see Spidey and perhaps Ant-Man in post-credits scene....

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12723069, Great move, now let's see if Fox will ever play ball.....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 09:56 AM
...although they are under way less pressure to do so. Sony's Spider-Man was going down the tubes creatively, and there just aren't enough characters to have their own universe surrounding him.

Really hope that when Sony says they have retained final control of the film that it's just on paper and that their current shot callers will go ahead and bow down to the ideas of the people in the MCU.

Just really hope they don't reset/reboot the franchise with the next film.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12723082, X-Men franchise firing on all cylinders on its own, though
Posted by Mongo, Tue Feb-10-15 10:07 AM
12723099, Exactly, but consider this....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 10:21 AM
...the money.

This Sony-Marvel deal is happening because Spidey is the only thing keeping Sony Pictures afloat financially and the last two films did not hit their marks in the money department. Add to that the lackluster critical and fan reaction, they see things going down the tubes. So why not partner with the MCU when one of their movies has made more than a quarter of the profits 5 spidey films have.

Given the recent Avengers vs. X-Men storyline in the comics, and the nerdgasm fueled profits that are sure to follow any MCU & Spidey film, why wouldn't Fox want to get in on the action? Especially if you can structure the deal like Sony did and not have to give up the film rights and still maintain control of the X-Men franchise.

If you can lend someone a little flour and you can a get a decent slice of the cake at the end, why not?

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12723110, yup, its going to come down to the money
Posted by bleekgilliam_420, Tue Feb-10-15 10:28 AM
i can see fantastic four being in play, especially if this next one tanks. x-men is going to be the really interested one, but it will really probably depend on how much the spidey collaboration makes
12723144, They are hoping to make their own 'MCU'
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-10-15 10:46 AM
http://screenrant.com/x-men-fantastic-four-movies-fox-mark-millar/

Which, funny enough, if they are able to assemble the behind the scene talent, is VERY possible considering alot of the stuff happening in the numerous mutant books tend to be in their own world anyway.

It's just they haven't had nearly as good talent in front of the camera, behind the camera, or ultimately producing the films(which is the MCU's biggest strength), as them. If I were them id raid some of the talent in Marvel/Disney, grabbing a comic writer (abiet a great one) to help organize this isn't going to work.

12723156, I was aware of this, and even with that- it's gonna come down to $$$$$$$
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 10:57 AM
It took 5 Spidey films to make 4 Billion.

It took 7 X-Men films to make 3 billion.

Avengers made 1.5 billion by itself.

While the last two X flicks were critical and financial successes, they are actually making less money than Sony's Spidey and the MCU.

Why not tap into that revenue stream, especially if you can retain the film rights and creative control?

They don't have to do it at this point. They have plenty of characters between the X-Men and the FF, but we know cash rules.

I don't think anything is imminent. If I were the people at Fox, I'd sit back in the cut and see how the Spidey/MCU collaboration works, then consider picking up the phone if the results are good.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12723580, ...because they don't wanna SHARE the money.
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Feb-10-15 01:45 PM
>While the last two X flicks were critical and financial
>successes, they are actually making less money than Sony's
>Spidey and the MCU.
>
>Why not tap into that revenue stream, especially if you can
>retain the film rights and creative control?

Sony is capitulating b/c they didn't know what to do with Spider-Man moving forward, and they have little else in their coffers that can pull those big tentpole numbers.

Fox is dead-confident in their X-Men slate of films, and they have Avatar 2 & 3 on deck and animated films from BlueSky and DreamWorks as well (those Sony animated films aren't doing nearly as well).
12723762, True, but it could be a bigger share of money.........
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 02:43 PM
...if it's coming from a bigger pot.

Of course this is all hypothetical. I know Fox has Deadpool, X-Force and probably another Wolverine in the pipe. Mutants are a much bigger and better universe than Spidey and his villain's menagerie.

Forgot that Fox has the Avatar Franchise and the other properties you mentioned. They are in a much better financial situation than Sony (or at least it sounds like it).

But then again, if the Sony/Marvel thing really pans out it wouldn't hurt to put feelers out there if you were Fox.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12723157, I'd rather they work a deal for FF than for X MEN
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Feb-10-15 10:57 AM
Disclaimer, I hate the X-MEN. Well, that's not fair. I hate that the mutant persecution has become such a defining characteristic. Obviously it's always been there since their creation, but I like that more as a trait, less as a narrative. And I hate that Wolverine has become such a centerpiece due to his popularity. But that's just me.

Anyway, I think the X-Men work best outside of the MCU. The FANTASTIC FOUR though are pretty integral to it, and seemingly would fit better in the current universe that Marvel has thrown together. Plus, FOX has done well with the X property proper (not counting the spinoffs). Only LAST STAND was a ball of fuck. The rest range from pretty damn good to great (though, in my eyes could still be better. I want better action like the future scenes in DoFP and less Magneto standing still).
12723162, Agreed.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 11:01 AM
I like the X-Men though, unlike you.

But the FF reboot's success or failure will determine that. I think if Fox is going to play ball someday, FF will lead the way.

Plus Marvel is ramping up the Inhumans for the whole "people born with powers" angle so they don't really need the X-Men except on the whole give the fans what they want/nerdgasm level.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12723195, i'll never understand that whole fantastic 4 thing., they are lame as hell
Posted by lazyboi, Tue Feb-10-15 11:17 AM
a big rock
a flying flame
ehhh i can live with that, but then you add:

a woman that can play peekaboo
and a dude who's able to give an entire classroom a group hug

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,
12723200, Alot of Marvel lore happened in that book though
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-10-15 11:24 AM
I agree with you that on paper they are pretty lame* But they were like ground zero for alot of higher powered good guys and badguys that makes the Marvel universe unique so the nostalgia factor is high with the title. They can work if written correctly.
12723287, Not to mention Marvel's #1 Villain
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Feb-10-15 11:52 AM
Doom.
12723642, its gotta be about dr doom cause hes cool. f4 lame as fuck tho
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Feb-10-15 02:07 PM
12724842, YOU. BACK OF THE CLASSROOM. POST. HASTE.
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Feb-11-15 12:01 PM
lol

Leave my FF a-lone!
12723681, This is precisely what concerns me.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Feb-10-15 02:17 PM

>Really hope that when Sony says they have retained final
>control of the film that it's just on paper and that their
>current shot callers will go ahead and bow down to the ideas
>of the people in the MCU.

If it's "on paper," then they do have control. And Hollywood shot callers rarely like to defer if it's their profit at stake (since I assume Sony maintains the lion's share of Spidey profits, otherwise Marvel wouldn't be cool with them having control). So the first time Marvel advises Sony to do something, and Sony isn't down... what happens?

It's very possible Marvel just wants Spidey for an one-off appearance, maybe two, and then they're cool with Sony moving on with him. Lord knows Marvel isn't going to invest a ton of resources into "saving" Spider-Man if Sony maintains controls and the majority of profit.

I really want to see the goddamn contracts of this thing. There are worlds of fascinating information in there that would reveal motivations and plans for both companies.
12723160, it's spider DASH man lol
Posted by lazyboi, Tue Feb-10-15 11:00 AM

"If you wanna help us, fine. Sit down with your kids and make 'em study at night...otherwise, shoot THIS mothaf*cka!" (c) Morgan Freeman,
12723329, RE: it's spider DASH man lol
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Feb-10-15 12:08 PM

Thank you
12723794, And Spider-Man's first Marvel film appearnce will be...? (SWIPE)
Posted by murph71, Tue Feb-10-15 02:54 PM

Captain America--Civil War....

----

Wall Street Journal Says Spider-Man’s First MCU Appearance Will Be In…

Published at: Feb. 10, 2015, 11:22 a.m. CST by merrick

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/70335

Yesterday we learned that Spider-Man would be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Now comes further word regarding when we can first expect to see Spidey in the official Marvel big screen continuity:

He’ll show up in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, which’ll arrive on screen May 6, 2016. This per The Wall Street Journal. Spidey appearing CIVIL WAR was already widely assumed/presumed, WSJ sources now say it is so.

We’ve previously heard that the same film will insert Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther into the fray (his standalone film arrives July 2018). Robert Downey Jr. is still expected to reprise his Tony Stary/Iron Man role in the picture, which will be helmed by THE WINTER SOLDIER’s Anthony and Joe Russo.

WSJ also indicates the much-discussed but awkward feeling SINISTER SIX movie is still in development over at Sony, although it has apparently been decelerated for further mulling.

12723848, What's the spider-man deal, they have to make a movie every few years
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-10-15 03:18 PM
or the rights revert back to Marvel?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12723855, RE: What's the spider-man deal, they have to make a movie every few years
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Feb-10-15 03:20 PM
I believe one has to be in production every five years or the rights revert back to Marvel

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12724844, this is correct:
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Feb-11-15 12:02 PM
http://screenrant.com/the-amazing-spiderman-movie-trilogy-benk-184764/
12724557, Looks like Garfield is definitely out as Spidey (link)
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Wed Feb-11-15 09:36 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-deal-sony-opts-lease-772251

"The studio is currently looking for an actor much younger than 31-year-old Andrew Garfield, who most recently portrayed the superhero, as well as a writer for its reboot.

In addition to Garfield finding himself on the outside of the franchise, director Marc Webb will not be back to complete a third Spider-Man (the studio originally envisioned its Amazing Spider-Man oeuvre as a trilogy with Webb and Garfield aboard for all three). Amazing producers Matt Tolmach and Avi Arad have been downgraded to executive producers, with no real say in the creative direction of the franchise."

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12724848, Ugh.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Wed Feb-11-15 12:03 PM
12724891, hopefully we don't have to sit through another origin story
Posted by hardware, Wed Feb-11-15 12:32 PM
12724718, two words-- Secret Wars
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Feb-11-15 10:45 AM
maybe even a proper Venom backstory.
12724890, "Black" Spider-Man is in play? (SWIPE)...
Posted by murph71, Wed Feb-11-15 12:31 PM

So it seems like Marvel/Sony is going back to the roots of Spider-Man...High School, quirk Spidey trying to cope with the cliques while getting his superhero on....But the interesting nugget is the "black" Spider-Man is on the table.....Miles may be ready for his closeup....Hmmmmm....

----

Variety's report basically reiterates all of that.

Variety as reported by Latino Review....

http://www.latino-review.com/news/more-spider-man-details-emerge-casting-setting-and-approach

......What it adds to the mix now are a few names of who is being considered for the role. The short list apparently includes Logan Lerman (Fury) and Dylan O'Brien (The Maze Runner). But the report also mentions that the studio may switch gears entirely and swap out Peter Parker for Miles Morales.

Personally, as much as I love Peter, I think the move to Morales would make the most sense just on a business level. As much excitement as there is from the hardcore fanboy community, who are doing backflips about Marvel Studios now being involved with the future of the franchise, there would likely be a sense of fatigue in having a third Peter Parker/Spider-Man hit theaters within a 9 year span.

Tobey Maguire last played the character in 2007, then Andrew Garfield in 2012 and 2014. Another Parker in 2016 in Captain America: Civil War and beyond might dilute the interest of more casual fans. If you go the Morales route, you can then frame things in such a way that it looks like you're not starting from scratch again. You can write a script that implies that Garfield's Peter has passed the torch to Morales and gone off into the sunset.

Might be easier than asking fans to buy into a third cinematic Peter Parker continuity. I can totally get why the studios are considering this.

But if they're going to stick with Peter, what if the casting process went the Man of Steel route? After all, Henry Cavill was once going to play Supes in McG's Superman: Flyby. That fell through, but Snyder revisited the actor several years later after watching old screen tests. In that vein, what if the folks behind the next Spider-Man adventures looked at Josh Hutcherson again? The actor was all but set to play the character in the Amazing Spider-Man films, when Warner Bros decided to exercise the sequel clause in his contract and bring him back for Journey 2- thus killing his Spidey hopes. The Hunger Games star is only 23. Think he could pull off a high schooler?

Remember when we exclusively revealed his Spider-Man demo a few years back?

I think he'd be a cool choice, still. Though Lerman could definitely work, too.