Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHave Ya'll Already Discussed 'Lying Brian Williams'?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12722689
12722689, Have Ya'll Already Discussed 'Lying Brian Williams'?
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Feb-09-15 05:55 PM
What would make a respected journalist such as Williams repeatedly tell a story that could easily be verified by ppl who were there w/him?

And now they're saying he's lied abt other news stories in the past such as saying he saw "dead bodies from his hotel room floating down the street in the French Quarter" during Katrina. The only problem was that it was well known that the French Quarter didn't get flooded at all.

This guy may have forever ruined his credibility. Smh

Brian Williams In 2007: 'I Looked Down The Tube Of An RPG That Had Been Fired At Us' http://huff.to/1xKrsze via @HuffPostMedia

Brian Williams On Iraq, In 2007: 'I Looked Down The Tube Of An RPG That Had Been Fired At Us'
The Huffington Post | By Braden Goyette
Email
Posted: 02/07/2015 5:14 pm EST Updated: 02/07/2015 5:59 pm EST

Tweet
Comment

Last week, it came out that "NBC Nightly News" anchor Brian Williams' story about a 2003 RPG attack in Iraq has changed dramatically over the years.

Williams -- who announced Saturday he was taking a temporary leave from "Nightly News" -- apologized earlier this week for claiming that he had been riding in a Chinook helicopter that took enemy fire and was forced to land. He said that he was actually riding in the helicopter behind the one that was hit, and had confused the events of 12 years ago.

Soldiers on that mission, however, told Stars and Stripes that Williams was nowhere near the helicopter that was shot down, and was traveling in a different formation altogether.

Now a video from 2007 has surfaced in which Williams claims that the RPG fired at his helicopter, in addition to downing the one in front of him, and that he was close enough to stare down the barrel of the weapon.

"I've been very, very lucky the way my life has turned out," Williams said in an interview with Fairfield University Student Television, after making an appearance on campus:

I've been very lucky to have survived a few things that I've been involved in. At the reception a few minutes ago, I was remembering something I tend to forget: the war with Hezbollah in Israel a few years back where there were Katyusha rockets passing just underneath the helicopter I was riding in. A few years before that, you go back to Iraq, and I looked down the tube of an RPG that had been fired at us and had hit the chopper in front of ours. And I'm so fortunate to be sitting here.
NBC News is conducting an internal investigation into Williams' statements about the helicopter attack. His reporting during Hurricane Katrina has also come under scrutiny.
12722756, Yeah there was a post, but not much discussion IIRC
Posted by Atillah Moor, Mon Feb-09-15 06:50 PM
Since when have there been creditable journalists in America though? Even stranger is the fact that there is supposedly no staff that vet these stories or accounts?

12722763, RE: Yeah there was a post, but not much discussion IIRC
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Feb-09-15 06:56 PM
>Since when have there been credit journalists in America
>though?

Well he was suppose to be one of the last remaining credible journalists on tv

Even stranger is the fact that there is supposedly no
>staff that vet these stories or accounts?

Perhaps these stories were vetted but Williams just continued to tell his "version" over the years thinking he wouldn't be called out on it
12722777, He's more liked than well respected
Posted by ndibs, Mon Feb-09-15 07:19 PM
Larry king went in on him a bit for his overly dramatic style without saying his name in a late night interview. He never went to college or maybe didn't finish it. So there's a lotta people who shoulda woulda coulda had that job but he's nice looking and well liked.

There's some more dirt out there on him too, I'm not going to say...
12722764, He's toast, I bet.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Feb-09-15 06:59 PM
Too bad bc he's likable.

He may disappear quietly. Maybe he can come back on a smaller outlet like Dan Rather has.
12722801, I kinda think so too but perhaps he can just disappear for awhile
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Feb-09-15 07:56 PM
and let this blow over...or maybe some news story will make ppl forget abt this

>Too bad bc he's likable.
>
>He may disappear quietly. Maybe he can come back on a smaller
>outlet like Dan Rather has.
12722775, Always feel bad for guys to go down in their twilight years
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Mon Feb-09-15 07:17 PM
It's just odd that he did that. But hopefully he won't be too crushed by it and just retire and find some happiness

Feel bad for his family because they are probably aching for his embarrassment

I feel bad for Allison because she has a career in her own right now and that brings negative attention to her
12722780, He's like late 50s. Diane sawyer was 70.
Posted by ndibs, Mon Feb-09-15 07:21 PM
...he's hardly twilighty.
12722790, oh lol well I hate to see a long respected career get taken down
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Mon Feb-09-15 07:38 PM
12722784, Oh well he can live off his daughter.
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Mon Feb-09-15 07:25 PM
12722799, Or, the piles and piles of cash that he has.
Posted by bignick, Mon Feb-09-15 07:55 PM
12722787, guess he's going to move to FOX News now
Posted by J_Stew, Mon Feb-09-15 07:31 PM
they have to do a background check first though, to make sure he's told more than just a couple of lies
12722797, ^
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Mon Feb-09-15 07:52 PM
12722860, thats the first thing that came to mind
Posted by Binladen, Mon Feb-09-15 09:44 PM
oh he'll have a job.
12722830, Its about the Destruction of Iraq, Not Fake Helicopter Stories
Posted by neuro_OSX, Mon Feb-09-15 08:51 PM
http://billmoyers.com/2015/02/06/shame-us-journalism-destruction-iraq-fake-helicopter-stories/

www.salon.com/2015/02/07/ronald_reagans_wartime_lies_the_president_had_quite_a_brian_williams_problem/
12722837, lester holt standing gorilla position ready for his shot.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Feb-09-15 08:59 PM
aint gonna lie brian williams tells the news well so i kinda don't care if he a liar. he just a host to me.