Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectR&B and every other sphere of society will make room for Black gay men.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12722121&mesg_id=12722956
12722956, R&B and every other sphere of society will make room for Black gay men.
Posted by Goldmind, Tue Feb-10-15 12:54 AM
First of all, Black gays are indomitable. Hand us lemons and we will somehow make some tea. Then we'll have straight black men drink it as they watch "Empire" and scream, "Yassss!"

So I can't imagine any space in the near future being off limits to openly Black gay men, who by our very nature bust down your walls (pause).

Also, to assume that there isn't a space for us in R&B is to ignore the queerness of stars like Frank Ocean and Sylvester, and the hiding in plain sight performed by queer Black artists like Luther and Freddie Jackson.

Even worse, it's to assume that Black people are more homophobic than white folks. Like SoWhat, I definitely used to believe that the Black community is stubbornly and disproportionately anti-gay. And maybe it was true at one point. But probably not. Either way, there is no part of me that believes that Black people are particularly homophobic in 2015. From the White House to the NFL and NBA, Blacks are actually at the forefront of creating spaces for the LGBT community. I have no reason to doubt that the same won't be the case in R&B.