Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDamon Wayans Jr is leaving New Girl again
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12721377
12721377, Damon Wayans Jr is leaving New Girl again
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Sat Feb-07-15 07:17 PM
And in other news, "Happy Endings" might come back on air:

http://tvline.com/2015/02/07/happy-endings-revival-rumor-writers-tweet-new-day-message/
12721383, how are they going to bring it back when half the cast is working again
Posted by RobOne4, Sat Feb-07-15 07:37 PM
all the girls are in new sitcoms already.
12721478, They are all on shitty shows headed for cancellation
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Feb-08-15 08:54 AM
As much as I love that Casey girl I realize on marry me she is a better supporting actress than lead. And the supporting actors on that show are better grocery store clerks than actors.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're ri
12721777, Whoa, mate. Marry Me is decent to good.
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Sun Feb-08-15 09:35 PM
The only problem I have with it is the poor black gay girl can't catch a break. Every line of text for her ends in virganya.
12721926, disagree...Marry Me is is st8, it's just not as good as HE
Posted by Calico, Mon Feb-09-15 08:19 AM
, and it's clearly trying to be better...

...people seem to LOVE TMP, so there's that...

...and Benched is pretty hilarious....
12722271, Marry Me is hilarious.
Posted by bonamie, Mon Feb-09-15 01:05 PM
12721394, happy endings is not coming back on air anytime soon
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Feb-07-15 08:15 PM
it's not streamed or syndicated prominently enough for it to have gained a new audience.
12722399, RE: happy endings is not coming back on air anytime soon
Posted by Original Juice, Mon Feb-09-15 02:12 PM
It's syndicated on LOGO (gay network) so maybe they're trying to bring it back?
12721496, Good
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Feb-08-15 11:19 AM
The cast is overstuffed and Lamar Morris is an infinitely better comedic actor and hopefully this will give him more to do. Although, I doubt it.
12721957, you really think Lamar is THAT much better overall?
Posted by Calico, Mon Feb-09-15 09:14 AM
or is that just just a "this show" thing? cause i'm not sure would be as funny if he wasn't playing someone as interesting or nuanced
as Winston....
12722044, Good question
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Feb-09-15 10:30 AM
I haven't seen Wayans in anything else so I can't speak to him outside of New Girl. Same with Morris. But based on what they have done with their respective characters I think Morris has way more talent. It amazes me that he can pull off such an interesting albeit under-utilized character as Winston. He sells the shit out of Winston's insanity.

Coach is not particularly interesting as written and while Morris fills in Winston's gaps Wayans doesn't do much to infuse Coach with anything distinctive or interesting. He's like male CeeCee. He's had some funny moments but there's no way in hell if the roles were reversed he could pull off a Winston whereas Morris, despite not looking like much of a coach, could do more than Wayans with the little he's given.

12721973, I just liked having two black guys for a change
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-09-15 09:32 AM
Two black guys that didn't look like they'd be friends without the other mutual friends.

That was refreshing
12721998, yeah i actually liked that too. its almost always a one or the other
Posted by Government Name, Mon Feb-09-15 10:02 AM
situation on network tv
12722054, Good point
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Feb-09-15 10:35 AM
That was definitely refreshing and I was hopeful when Coach came back for that very reason. Unfortunately the character's addition didn't really help the dynamic and if anyone was going to get short-changed in stories and characters it'd be one or both of the black characters.

I'd rather they give one black character a role as meaty as the rest of the main cast than two black characters fighting for scraps
12722075, If anything it made both 'characters'
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-09-15 10:49 AM
rather than 'black characters'

with just one its almost always just having a black face represented

with both, it felt like they were free to just be characters. it felt like what the world looks like rather than what a tv show looks like. if that makes sense.

its rare that you see a set of diverse white people paired with a set of diverse black people. even if one is kinda meh, i'd still take it.
12722079, I agree but
Posted by navajo joe, Mon Feb-09-15 11:02 AM
the problem was they were both characters who ended up getting the short shrift (Not that Winston without Coach has ever really been given as much to do as Schmidt or Nick). I'd rather have really solid characters than a representation of the world when it comes to my entertainment although it is a shitty choice I resent having to make. That said I think New Girl does just fine on that front in terms of its guest stars, love interests, and background actors.

Taking race out of the equation I just think Coach didn't add much to the show and while his character wasn't terrible he was the weak link (both as written and performed) that made the whole chain weaker.
12722194, I kinda felt like he did what he had to do
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-09-15 12:12 PM
Schmidt and Jess carry the show
i'm not sure Coach's exit will give anybody else 'more to do'
its just one less combination they'll use.

to be honest, i was getting a little bit tired of Winston until Coach came back
12722124, surprised by the reactions here.
Posted by Nodima, Mon Feb-09-15 11:34 AM
Coach just added more funny to the show and the show already had a lot of funny. His chemistry with the cast was so apparent they basically made a (lame) movie (Let's Be Cops) out of it.

I for one will miss him and his awkward "player that forgot how to play" moments with women.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
12722138, Really sad to see him go
Posted by Dae021, Mon Feb-09-15 11:41 AM
He's added a lot to the show and made the show not have to rely so heavily on Schmidt for all of its laughs.

Everyone has benefited from Coach, and I think the show will suffer a bit in his absence.

They should've kept Nick's GF though.
12722251, that's too bad.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Feb-09-15 12:51 PM
i want to see Damon Wayans Jr on TV on a regular basis b/c i think he's handsome. plus he's funny on New Girl.

i'd like to see Happy Endings return but i don't believe it's coming. and i want to be wrong about that.
12722268, No more Coach and Winston messarounds
Posted by Brother Rabbit, Mon Feb-09-15 01:01 PM
12722281, lmao!!!!!
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Mon Feb-09-15 01:12 PM
>
12722286, Damn its so good with him tho. That sucks.
Posted by Heinz, Mon Feb-09-15 01:13 PM

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z