Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDo you believe in ghosts, spirits and the like?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12717166
12717166, Do you believe in ghosts, spirits and the like?
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 01:14 PM
*I* do not believe in a spirit world, but I saw and heard some shit at a hotel in San Antonio that made me uncomfortable enough to gtfo with the quickness. It was one of those "that shit ain't real, but I ain't taking no chances either" situations.
12717170, not yet
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Tue Feb-03-15 01:15 PM
care to describe your experience?
12717216, Girlfriend and I were looking for a hotel room near the Riverwalk
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 01:28 PM
circa 1997. We went into a bunch of hotels, and they either had no vacancies or were well outside of our price range. The we found the Navarro Hotel.

I asked the front desk clerk if he had any vacancies and he said, "one, but you might want to go look at it first". We went up and checked the room out. The hotel was dingy, run down and in a general state of disrepair, but we were broke, so I said fuck it.

We went back to the room and before we could even get settled in, we heard a sound like a person dragging furniture across a tile linoleum floor, but the hotel was carpeted. Then we saw the figure of a man walk past the bathroom mirror. I grabbed the bags without a word and we walked out the door.

When we got to the lobby, I walked to the desk and the clerk just handed me my cash back. He had it ready. He KNEW we wouldn't be spending the night.
12717243, Meth-heads always breaking into shit & stealing, man
Posted by 8-bit, Tue Feb-03-15 01:35 PM
lol
12717245, NOBODY ELSE WAS IN THAT ROOM, MAYNE
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 01:35 PM
12717244, And you STILL don't believe fam?
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 01:35 PM
I never outright seen some shit like that
12717252, I still believe there's a rational explanation for what we heard/saw
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 01:37 PM
but like I said, I ain't taking no chances.
12717308, Is this it?
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 01:53 PM
"While staying at the historic Hotel Havana, we learned that some guests have reported seeing ghosts. Perhaps, they did. The property is a little bit of heaven for the hip."

http://travelingmamas.com/san-antonio-hip-hotel/
12717343, Could be! I remember the interior more than the exterior
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 02:07 PM
12717705, I grabbed the bags without a word and we walked out the door.
Posted by rdhull, Tue Feb-03-15 06:11 PM
THATS HOW YOU DO IT!
12717171, nope
Posted by nayaa, Tue Feb-03-15 01:16 PM
12717178, Yes and I lived with some
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Tue Feb-03-15 01:18 PM
for a time.
Very glad they are gone even if they made for some good stories.
12717184, Yep I feed them and everything n/m
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:20 PM

huh
12717203, what you feedin' em?
Posted by KiloMcG, Tue Feb-03-15 01:25 PM
cookies and milk like Santa?
12717215, blood of the innocent
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 01:28 PM
12717220, White hens arent innocent n/m
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:29 PM

huh
12717227, what'd the hens do to lose their innocence?
Posted by KiloMcG, Tue Feb-03-15 01:31 PM
i mean, other than being pretty filthy animals.
12717236, true lol
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 01:33 PM
that's cool that you are holding to tradition

I've only done a little reading into it myself, but it's too complex for my brain
12717251, dammit! can y'all stop speaking so cryptically, shit! I'm curious bout this
Posted by Somnus, Tue Feb-03-15 01:37 PM
hen thing.

*does Montel lean in*
12717271, I thought we were joking I can laugh about my practices
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:43 PM
and not get offended

Anyway...hens are sacred to a certain Orisha and if someone has to make Eyebale its for a major initiation. The animals are then butchered and the meat is cooked and shared with the community. The orishas or ancestors eat the blood, and the people eat the meat. It is an act of communion with the spirits.

E
huh
12717285, ah, got it. so you were joking about the other, hens not being innocent--
Posted by Somnus, Tue Feb-03-15 01:46 PM
stuff, yes?
12717298, Yep hens are okay
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:50 PM
Osun likes them
huh
12717289, I find this incredibly fascinating
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 01:47 PM
and somehow more plausible than faiths of the book...not that I believe in any of it.
12717312, Many people do
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:53 PM
I dont clown anyone's beliefs except when they try to shove it down my throat.

People would call the police on me if I chased them with a bowl of Florida water and Efun.

LOL
huh
12717233, What they ate when they were on this plane
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:32 PM
Yams
Collards
Chicken
and some Spirits

huh
12717238, I'm not eating that good RIGHT TODAY
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 01:34 PM
12717241, word. is it gone in the morning?
Posted by KiloMcG, Tue Feb-03-15 01:34 PM
shit's fascinating to me.
12717250, my coworker went back home to Chinantla and left a beer out for
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 01:37 PM
her father who had passed a year earlier

She swears up and down next morning it was half gone and that no one in else the house had been in that area

But you know Mexicans superstitious like Born in East LA. offering beers to Jesus portraits and whatnot
12717262, You dont leave it over night
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 01:39 PM
But it does disappear

Could be evaporation

Could be Uncle Douglas, Grandpa Ray and Grandpa Richard having a bite and a sip
huh
12717637, how long do you leave it then?
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Tue Feb-03-15 04:48 PM
I'm curious

Been doing a lot of reading about orisha, loa, and rituals since it was Yemaya Day yesterday...

inbox me if you feel more comfy

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12717766, She is my ori so we celebrated yesterday
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Tue Feb-03-15 08:18 PM
We feed them for every meal so the food is replaced frequently if that makes sense.
huh
12717186, as a general rule, no, but I don't entirely count them out
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 01:20 PM
San Antone is known as a hot zone for that type of stuff, no?

I've 'heard a voice' before but chalk that up to insomnia

12717191, It's complicated, but I don't believe in "Booooo!" type ghosts
Posted by 8-bit, Tue Feb-03-15 01:21 PM
12717407, Care to expound a little?
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 02:28 PM
12717447, I believe in other planes of existence. I don't believe in haunting ghosts.
Posted by 8-bit, Tue Feb-03-15 02:49 PM
12717445, I'll stand in this line
Posted by Sepia., Tue Feb-03-15 02:49 PM
but I won't expound.
12717199, nope.
Posted by napturalmystic, Tue Feb-03-15 01:23 PM
12717201, ionno.. but I knew a girl in college who saw her grandfather
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Feb-03-15 01:24 PM
who was in a wheel chair and couldn't walk stand up and said hello to his wife and then he sat down and died.

She is a Doctor right now so I can't see why she would lie about it back then.
12717218, well? don't keep us in suspense, wtf did you see/hear?
Posted by Somnus, Tue Feb-03-15 01:29 PM
12717246, No. There's always a rational explanation for everything
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Feb-03-15 01:35 PM
12717336, speaking of which (c) Phife..well sorta, but anybody remember the story of--
Posted by Somnus, Tue Feb-03-15 02:03 PM
Elisa Lam? of course you do.

I read about it a year after it happened...

the details still send shivers down my spine.
12717346, I stayed in Hotel Cecil shortly before that shit happened
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 02:08 PM
the youtube video is fuckin eerie. i think it just comes down to a sheltered Canadian girl doing some strong drugs and climbing up onto the roof and into the water tank and drowning

sounds very implausible, but I've heard of a couple improbable suicides by young people when they are on hallucinogens
12717359, yeah but wasn't it reported that the lid was shut after she jumped/fell--
Posted by Somnus, Tue Feb-03-15 02:12 PM
in and that it wouldve been damn near impossible for her to open it in the 1st place?
12717410, latest I've seen on the death, from December 2014
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Feb-03-15 02:30 PM
http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2014-12-12-the-elisa-lam-mystery-still-no-answers/#.VNEebHtfGG8
12717439, wow, it's almost like there's some type of cover-up going on. thanks 4 the--
Posted by Somnus, Tue Feb-03-15 02:45 PM
article yo.
12717388, something's there. dunno what tho'.
Posted by infin8, Tue Feb-03-15 02:21 PM
12717412, Yes. My ex saw ghosts
Posted by StephBMore, Tue Feb-03-15 02:31 PM
he once described two of my deceased family members to a T. which might not be so odd, but he described one person the way he use to look years before he got sick, and the other one, there are NO pictures of this person anywhere. (well one, that's kept under lock and key, no way he saw it ever in life.) he straight up asked me one day "it's two ghosts always around you, they look like this who are they?" and it was like OMG.

I have seen spirits several times. Not so much recently but only because I have been ignoring things that I normally wouldn't.

but now my sleep paralysis is coming back...so i suspect all of that will change soon.
12717504, who were they to you ?
Posted by labcoat, Tue Feb-03-15 03:22 PM
how did it make you feel that they
were always around you?
12717624, both family members I felt died too soon...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue Feb-03-15 04:41 PM
one was a father figure, the other was another male I would do anything for...perhaps to the point I'd give my life in exchange for theirs...so after he told me I played it off...i mean he even knew the eye colors of these ppl, he was so vivid...(they didn't have brown eyes)

but later on I cried but i felt happy because at LEAST they are together and that comforted me a lot more than it would to know they are in heaven. nothing meant more (or means more) to be than hearing they were together and happy.
12717428, coworker died, i was seeing her for weeks after
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Feb-03-15 02:38 PM
i was good work friends with her. her desk was on the other side of the office, but positioned in a way where every time she went to her desk, she crossed in front of my field of vision. i'd be looking down at my screen, so it was just like a corner of my eye type thing. she was real friendly, got up a lot just to talk to people, so it happened dozens of times a day for years.

she got cancer young, fought it for a year, took a turn for the worst one week. i went to visit her in the hospital on a sunday, got up to her room, and her family was all around her bed crying. she died, like, literally a minute before i got there, probably while i was walking in the building.

everyone at work was crushed. we're a pretty quiet bunch, and she was the one who'd keep the place buzzing. it was solemn for, like, a month. felt empty. anyway, for weeks after she died, anytime someone on the other side of the office crossed in front of my field of vision, i saw her. clear as day. i'd look up from my screen and it'd be someone else. my brain was so used to that movement from that side of the office being her, that it would fill in the blanks in my peripheral vision, and i would literally see her out of the corner of my eye. half the time, i'd forgotten she was gone, i'd see her walking to her desk, look up and be like, oh, yeah. after we moved to a new office a few months later, it never happened again, because my brain wasn't used to seeing her in the new space.

the point is, i think ghosts are tricks our brain plays on us when we're so used to seeing someone in a particular space. i read something where, unless you actually stop and think about your peripheral vision, you only really see what's in front of you. when you aren't thinking about it, your brain only processes basic outlines or movements and fills in the details with what it expects to be there. so with the visual signals your brain is firing off, you really are "seeing" that person exactly as you remember them and expect them to be there, but when you look up, they're obviously not there. after my dog died, i'd see her sitting in her usual spot by the door all the time. i'd look up and be like, oh, yeah. ghosts.
12717745, But then how do u explain ghosts of people u dont know
Posted by Heinz, Tue Feb-03-15 07:13 PM
and peopel who have pretty clear details on them and shit

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z
12717436, Yeah and they freak me out a little lol
Posted by Heinz, Tue Feb-03-15 02:43 PM
Like i dont see myself buying a house that was occupied by someone else lol

____

12717437, My house is 115 years old. No ghosts
Posted by John Forte, Tue Feb-03-15 02:45 PM
12717709, Fuck that shit lol
Posted by Heinz, Tue Feb-03-15 06:14 PM
Unless it was like totally stripped down and looked like some shit that would end up in Dwell then i would live there but I don tthink i could do it otherwise

____

12717441, RE: Do you believe in ghosts, spirits and the like?
Posted by double 0, Tue Feb-03-15 02:47 PM
Could be a partial rational answer to a lot of sightings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound#Human_reactions_to_infrasound
12717449, no comment
Posted by guru0509, Tue Feb-03-15 02:50 PM
12717460, no. the mind is powerful when you believe though
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Feb-03-15 02:57 PM
12717507, not even a little bit.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Feb-03-15 03:24 PM
sometimes when i've been really high i've thought my cat has been inhabited by the spirits of recently deceased relatives. but that's only when i've been really high. otherwise i don't entertain the notion even a little.
12717511, Lou got into a fight. Lou got knocked down and hit his head
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Feb-03-15 03:27 PM
on a tire rim.

Lou was my grandmother’s roommate’s boyfriend. They put Lou in bed. Loud didn’t wake up. Grams said she’d see him from time to time, sitting in a chair or standing in a door way, but she wasn’t bothered by it. I figured, sure thing grams. Have another Budweiser and let’s knock out this game of Yahtzee.

Like 12-13 years later, my friend moved into that same apartment. Not the same complex, but the same apartment. Or house, really. There were two on the lot. After awhile I decide to tell him about Lou. He freaks out.

Apparently, his mom kept complaining about seeing a ghost. She wouldn’t go into his younger brothers room, because she ‘felt something’ in there. His younger brothers complained about an ice cold spot in the room.

Well friends, that spot was the spot where Lou died in his sleep. My friend was big time religious at the time and got his prayer warrior on. According to him, that was the end of his mom seeing ghosts and the cold spot went away. At some point she no longer felt anything in the room. He never told her or his brothers any of this, by the way.

I’m not saying anything was or wasn’t there. All I know is that this sequence of events happened.
12717721, nope, I do believe there is an after life but it doesn't interact with this one
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Tue Feb-03-15 06:34 PM
Or they can only observe
12717723, we have a saying: no creo en brujas pero de que vuelan, vuelan
Posted by j., Tue Feb-03-15 06:35 PM
Literally: I don't believe in witches but they fly, they fly

the syntax is a little off but the gist is "I'm not saying they're real, but they probably are"

I could write a book on this shit. I have family that are full time dedicated Santeros, babalaos, all of that. Then I also have family that are evangelical born again anti-witchcraft Christians. I miss our reunions lol.

I've heard every argument pro and con about spirits, omens, deities, ghosts, etc etc. At this point I'm just like "you guys stay over there, I'm good right here"

When I was in Venezuela some years back my santera cousin smoked some tobacco, spit some rum, and called out Oshun...then told me some stuff about a girl I was dealing with at the time. Another cousin did the shell toss and told me some other shit...but it was all fake in the end. They probably just told me what I wanted to hear. To me it's the same as horoscopes, psychics, mediums, etc. A lot of hocus pocus with some basic psychology thrown in.

Santeria is big in LatAm and in Miami. It's part of Latin culture. But I've seen my cousins throw a lot of money away into babalao initiations and rituals with nothing to show for it. But then again Christians tithe faithfully so what's the difference?

I'll leave you with another saying: Cuidado con meterse a brujo sin conocer las yerbas. Basically it's like Heisenberg: thread carefully.
12717725, Prior to 1996, I would've definitely said no...I wouldn't even entertain
Posted by vee-lover, Tue Feb-03-15 06:40 PM
such a thing...

But

That all changed for me after September 7th, 1996

That was when my grandmother passed...

Her funeral was in Tennessee and I traveled from Atlanta to Chatt. to attend it

And after it was over, I stayed at her house with my father and stayed the night there.

Her room was still kept intact when I entered it and I said to my Pops that I was going to sleep in her room that night.

So later on that night as I was in bed sound asleep, I was awoken to the flower vase and some small chandeliers on a lamp SHAKING non-stop and for at least 30 to 45 seconds

I had NEVER EVER experienced anything like that and didn't know what to make of it at first...but for some reason I wasn't scared...but I was sitting up in my bed just staring at the vase and the chandeliers shaking

I wasn't going to tell ANYONE at first for fear of being perceived as delusional

But

I decided to tell my dad...and to my surprise he confessed that he had experienced the exact same thing a few days after she passed...

So that one experience compelled me to re-think my beliefs abt the spirit world...
12717728, Definitely the sort of experience people discount until they have it
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Feb-03-15 06:43 PM
I think some folks can be a little too rational, whereby they don't even consider the possibility that some otherworldly shit might be going down.
12717731, RE: That was me %1000...prior to 1996
Posted by vee-lover, Tue Feb-03-15 06:50 PM
>I think some folks can be a little too rational, whereby they
>don't even consider the possibility that some otherworldly
>shit might be going down.
12717727, also, I played Ouija one time in HS and never again
Posted by j., Tue Feb-03-15 06:42 PM
I don't know if it was my young impressionable mind or what
and I've read/heard all that shit about people moving the dial, etc
but that shit felt too real
I'm good
12717729, I have a family member who went through that
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Tue Feb-03-15 06:46 PM
>I don't know if it was my young impressionable mind or what
>and I've read/heard all that shit about people moving the
>dial, etc
>but that shit felt too real
>I'm good

Apparently they asked about Jesus' blood and the glass shattered. That person has been pretty upfront and honest with me about lots of other things, and doesn't share that story willy-nilly either.
12717773, I could never deal with a Ouija board....
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Tue Feb-03-15 08:44 PM
I remember early in the 90's Hasbro was trying to sell it as a board game *shudders*

Only two purposes for a Ouija board, contact and release.

I'm sooooo good on that....

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12717774, definitely
Posted by Johnny, Tue Feb-03-15 08:50 PM
never experienced anything supernatural but i definitely believe in other dimensions and entities that reside there

12717808, look goddammit..there's no such thing as gho..oh shit what was that?!!
Posted by rdhull, Tue Feb-03-15 10:08 PM
12717842, RE: Do you believe in ghosts, spirits and the like?
Posted by neuro_OSX, Tue Feb-03-15 11:21 PM
Nope, because if ghosts existed a large number of the slaves that were killed back in the day would be haunting the hell outta white folks today..