Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm looking to get into Web Development
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12716077
12716077, I'm looking to get into Web Development
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Mon Feb-02-15 02:30 PM
I have years experience in marketing so I'm looking to get a Web Development certificate to make me competitive. I don't know anything about Web Development/Coding, so is this route best? Is Web Development very hard?
12716109, sidenote: I was at the library yesterday with the family...
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Feb-02-15 02:45 PM
... and we were in the kids section. Asian father and son sittin off on their laptops, kid was about 7 or 8 years old. We were walking past and glanced over at the kid's laptop...

... He was taking an HTML coding test.

If he was older than 8 I would be surprised.

He's gonna be your boss in a few years.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12716127, kinda dad i'm probably gonna be. haha.
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-02-15 02:53 PM
12716115, depends on how bad you want it
Posted by Atillah Moor, Mon Feb-02-15 02:47 PM
It's hard if you don't follow logic or have a hard time committing structural elements or concepts i.e. syntax to memory. I'd say in general that if language learning is difficult or not interesting to you than web development would probably be more of a challenge.

I say that because you will be doing a lot of programming/scipting and will need to know several languages. Javascript for sure, some back end language like PHP, and likely some degree of SQL. In my experience I've found it somewhat similar to learning spoken languages.
12716116, make you competitive? those are usually two different jobs.
Posted by Deadzombie, Mon Feb-02-15 02:48 PM
you want to be able to create a marketing plan, AND build-out all of the web properties?

or do you simply want to say you know how to build out web properties, for the advantage at a company?

are you employed now?
12716702, full service marketing maybe
Posted by MiracleRic, Tue Feb-03-15 08:54 AM
but i too am struggling to see how this would be beneficial in marketing other than to add more responsibility with no noticeable pay bump
12716124, This is going to be your biggest obstacle
Posted by 8-bit, Mon Feb-02-15 02:52 PM
>I don't know anything about Web Development/Coding

You should try coding some stuff to see if you like it. Start with basic HTML/CSS/Javascript. I code for fun and have been doing so since I was 12, so it's fairly easy to pick up new programming languages/concepts because it's enjoyable to me.
12716132, Design is hard. Web Development and Design is even harder.
Posted by Heinz, Mon Feb-02-15 02:55 PM

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z
12716136, basically.
Posted by hardware, Mon Feb-02-15 02:57 PM
i find its easier for people to learn a bit of both, but focus on one.
12716222, ^
Posted by jetblack, Mon Feb-02-15 03:41 PM
12716163, You might be better off learning an open source framework.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Feb-02-15 03:11 PM
Get a handle on wordpress, cop a theme/plugin bundle or two(WooThemes, WPDEV, etc) and enough HTML 5, CSS, and PHP to competently customize them and you could probably do fairly well.
12716223, ^^
Posted by jetblack, Mon Feb-02-15 03:42 PM
12716236, I kinda hate how web development is now the go-to
Posted by double negative, Mon Feb-02-15 03:51 PM
so many roles on a team

with marketing you could also roll that into analytics, research, branding, project managment

development is not the end all be all in a team effort
12716372, definitely do NOT pay for a certificate
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Feb-02-15 05:55 PM
anywhere worth working for won't care about a certificate. you'll have to be knowledgeable enough about coding to sound competent in an interview. and that just takes experience.

there's an unlimited amount of training/practice material online to learn the basics.

but just to be realistic about it, if you're looking to be a legit full-time web developer, it's probably gonna take you months of dedicated practice to even get to a intro/intern-level dev gig.
12716783, i assumed he was talking about one of those nyc bootcamps
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Feb-03-15 10:10 AM
do "web development certificates" even exist?
sound like some shit you'd hear on a "fresher" forum
12716807, Sign up at this website:
Posted by initiationofplato, Tue Feb-03-15 10:28 AM
http://teamtreehouse.com/

Complete the Web Development Track. It will take you through everything you need to know to create websites. I did this in my spare time and make a lot of money with the skills it taught me.