Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAsk Me Something About Anything, I'll Ask You Back.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12715954
12715954, Ask Me Something About Anything, I'll Ask You Back.
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 01:39 PM
We had a delayed opening because of the snow, and on top of that, most of my team is at a trade show. Office is dead and I'm bored as fuck. Let's converse
12715961, Why does Jesus hate me?
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Mon Feb-02-15 01:43 PM
He made the third rail freeze on the 7 and now there's no timetable of when service will resume.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
12715996, I think it's the bewbs
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 01:56 PM
he doesn't like all that temptation. Could be worse - you could be stuck on that one 7 train that has no power AND no heat.

When was the last time you completely broke down sobbing?
12716076, sometime late last year
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Mon Feb-02-15 02:30 PM
I don't care to go into specifics at the moment.

Did you have a preference before you found out the gender of BabyKS?
12716089, It was weird. I've always wanted a boy
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 02:34 PM
but from the moment we found out she was pregnant, every time I pictured it in my head, it was a girl. I kept telling myself that it was a reverse jinx so that I'd get a boy, but really I couldn't picture it being a boy for some reason.

Would you ever enter into one of those "if neither of us is married by age XX, let's get married" pacts with a friend? If so, what age?
12716144, I already did!
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Mon Feb-02-15 03:02 PM
I agreed to it with a guy friend when I was 16 (This was in 2000)
We were talking shit about baseball when we made a bet.
The Mets had to win the World Series within the next 10 years (by 2010) or else I had to marry him. (The guy friend I made this pact/bet with was a Yankees fan.)

Ah to be young and dumb again.

We lost touch by 2003.
2004 I'm walking out of the North Bldg at John Jay
and who do I see but dude
caught up a bit
THIS GUY had the nerve to tell me to keep it moving after 10 minutes because he didn't want his crazy Dominican girlfriend to kirk out on me and in the same breath telling me I "better not have forgotten about our little bet" :( :( :(

Around 2007 I bumped into a mutual friend of ours
He knocked up Cray-Cray a year earlier in 2006
had another daughter (he already had a little girl when we met in 2000)
STILL asking about me tho

The very last time I heard anything about him was 2011 I want to say, something about moving to Roosevelt Island.
The Mets never did win a World Series but he got hemmed up so I won by default. And thank God too because I started regretting it a good 4 months after I said yes.

So
Am I invited to Baby Al's first Mets game????
12716410, of course!
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:44 PM
what's the longest you've sat in traffic? (inspired by my 2.5 hour drive home today)
12716000, You moving to the suburbs once the baby touches down?
Posted by Mongo, Mon Feb-02-15 01:57 PM
12716007, nah, our 3BR place can accomodate at least 2 kids
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 02:00 PM
there are people that live here with 3 kids, but idk if I could do it. My wife would literally rather live in another country than live on long island, and I'm not too keen on it either, even though it would cut my commute considerably. If we ever left Astoria, we'd probably be leaving New York altogether for a house in the woods or some shit. The way property values are going in my neck of the woods, I might see 100K+ in profit when I sell this place.

I remember you saying way back when that you were going to be raising your son Jewish. How's that been working out?
12716018, It's great. He was accepted into a ritzy UWS Jew school.
Posted by Mongo, Mon Feb-02-15 02:04 PM
We're the poorest family there, he's the only black kid in his school, but the financial aid is incredible, the teacher::student ratio is ridiculous, he's learning in a bilingual environment, and we get to go to cocktail parties in apartments bigger than most houses overlooking Central Park. The kid comes home and tells me new shit he's learned in Hebrew, I wait patiently for when he comes home and asks me what a schvartze joke is.

You?
12716047, we're kinda tap dancing around it.
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 02:17 PM
to be honest, the fact that it's gonna be a girl makes it a little easier.

I had always said that because bat mitvahs are a relatively new thing, I wouldn't feel bad if I had a daughter and she didn't have one. But to the best of my knowledge, the men in my family have become bar mitzvot for centuries. It's much more of an official rite of passage, and I'd feel some kinda way about being the one to break the family line by not having my son go through it.

But if the first one is a girl and the second is a boy, what then?

Right now, I think the plan is that she's gonna be baptised, and we'll kinda do a little bit of both as she grows up. Not sure how well that's gonna work out, but I guess we'll see.

If you were to ditch the job and pack it all up (with the family) for a simpler life, where would you go?
12716079, Tough call.
Posted by Mongo, Mon Feb-02-15 02:30 PM
Miami is the only place me and Most Honourable Wife can agree on.

But I really wouldn't mind Seattle or Vancouver.

I like seasons.

12716012, Im sure you answered this before
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Mon Feb-02-15 02:01 PM
but was it a conscious decision on your parts to wait this long to have a kid?
12716053, it was
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 02:21 PM
we wanted to enjoy being a couple for as long as we could. we saw the world - australia, italy, greece, various US states, the caribbean, mexico - and it would be a lot harder to do that with a kid.

My wife has one more year to go in the NYC DOE before she's fully vested in the pension, and the city holds her job for up to 5 years after the last kid. In theory, she could go back to work in 2-3 years, get pregnant with kid 2, finish out the year and be fully vested, and wait another 5 years before deciding whether or not she wanted to go back.

It also allowed us to save up enough money that we can (hopefully) live off just my salary for the next few years until the kid is in school.

How much scarier did the career change feel with a wife and kid to support?
12716165, Not scary
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Mon Feb-02-15 03:13 PM

>
>How much scarier did the career change feel with a wife and
>kid to support?

I mean it was a leap in some senses, but in others it wasnt. It wasnt like I was moving to a different country or taking a lower paying job.

There was one point where I heavily considered a sales position here (which woulda been commission based and low paying). I wanted to do it, but after talking to several people including my wife it wasnt the right move. So I bided my time and this role came up.

I will say that when you get to the point where you arent happy with your job anymore and waking up Mondays to go is actually depressing, even the sales job in my mind didnt seem as scary as it should have.

Im a risk taker though. I wanna live my life. I like being here but also would love the chance at living abroad for a year or two. Thinking of ways to make those plans happen if theyre possible without risking too much.

12716411, dope. I'm not depressed about Mondays, but not excited either
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:46 PM
12716028, any fears about parenthood?
Posted by iKilan, Mon Feb-02-15 02:08 PM
12716058, millions
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 02:23 PM
first and foremost is health. it's obviously too soon to tell, but it appears to have 10 fingers and 10 toes, which is a good start.

My brother was a schizophrenic, and there's history of mental illness in my family, so there's that to worry about.

She's going to be a girl, so there's all that stuff to worry about.

My biggest worry is that I'll do something wrong that ruins her. It seems like you're always one careless mistake away from utter devastation.

What was the thing about being the father of a daughter that you wish someone had told you beforehand?
12716134, RE: millions
Posted by iKilan, Mon Feb-02-15 02:56 PM
>first and foremost is health. it's obviously too soon to
>tell, but it appears to have 10 fingers and 10 toes, which is
>a good start.
>
>My brother was a schizophrenic, and there's history of mental
>illness in my family, so there's that to worry about.
>
>She's going to be a girl, so there's all that stuff to worry
>about.
>
>My biggest worry is that I'll do something wrong that ruins
>her. It seems like you're always one careless mistake away
>from utter devastation.
>

Most of those fears vanish the moment you hold your healthy kid for the first time. then they all resurface again with the next kid, and along with the the new fears when you see they do shit the way they do it. You matter, you guide and protect them, but they really do have their own personality, and will.

>What was the thing about being the father of a daughter that
>you wish someone had told you beforehand?

Great question, but I don't know, because i tried to avoid any preconceived notions. Most people had a lot of religious advice, or the standard 'she will be a daddy's girl if...', or 'watch out for boys", stuff.

I am not religious, and i really believe you will have to approach every kid differently. So, I just focused on my daughters temperament, and went with that. She has damn near been an angel behaviorally. like its scary how good and focused she is. This year is her freshman year in highschool, and she has been fantastic. No boy troubles. She talks to me about her problems. She is an A/B student, and she is drug free.

My new daughter will be here in May... we'll see how that goes down.
12716413, congrats! and WOW at that age gap
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:47 PM
my next door neighbors had almost the exact same age gap between their kids. good luck with the energy!
12716046, Do you think the Pats repeat next year?
Posted by Kira, Mon Feb-02-15 02:16 PM
12716060, No.
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 02:24 PM
Though I don't know who will take it from them.

What was the worst vacation you ever took?
12716082, Went back to Cleveland for a federal trial that I somehow got tossed into....
Posted by Kira, Mon Feb-02-15 02:31 PM

I was told one thing over the phone then another when we got there. Keep in mind people want my head the whole time. So yeah, I walk into tower city thinking this is a regular court somewhere on the lower level. We get in the elevator and start going up floors and my spider sense tingles. I see dat eagle with a metal detector 10 feet away and realize I was lied to. However, I'm screwed and don't have a way out of this. This dude brought me there to testify for him without telling me the specifics of the situation. I'm now sitting in front of a federal judge getting grilled by a federal attorney about an entirely different case than the one brought before me. The individual I'm with loses badly and faces severe ramifications later...

Relative to the working hell I dealt with during this run this was vacation because I wasn't working 70+ hours a week.
12716415, lol, I'd hardly call that a vacation
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:48 PM
12716138, You settle on a song for Pi day?
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Feb-02-15 02:57 PM
12716416, nah, I have no idea what's hot in the streets right now
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:50 PM
Ten Digits of Pi / Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe was an easy choice because I was really digging GKMC, and I figured the kids would know it too.

This year, I'm clueless.

Would you rather be able to perfectly play any instrument or perfectly sing any song?
12716434, Maybe that Bobby Schmurda track?
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Feb-02-15 07:09 PM
I dunno, I'm old and clueless to this shit too.

>Would you rather be able to perfectly play any instrument or
>perfectly sing any song?

Instrument. I think being able to play sax perfectly would be the coolest shit ever. Like Duke Silver cool.

What do you think of the Jets chances next year?
12716438, Not gonna do a song with that title
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 07:13 PM
I think the Jets are another year or two away, at minimum. I want them to take Cooper in the first and try and steal Todd Gurley in the second. I don't like this year's QB class, but we need one badly.
12716181, what trimester are you guys in?
Posted by JellyBean, Mon Feb-02-15 03:20 PM
have you picked a nursery theme yet?
12716417, About to enter the 3rd. Beatrix Potter. Haven't painted yet, though
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:51 PM
we just bought the crib and dresser last week, which is exciting.

How far can you throw a ball?
12716249, You think Billy Donovan gets let go?
Posted by MEAT, Mon Feb-02-15 04:03 PM
12716420, Not a chance
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:53 PM
Billy will coach at UF for as long as he wants to. He MADE that program, a la Coach K at Duke. He just made the final four LAST YEAR.

who is your favorite player of all time from your least favorite team?
12716342, Pancakes or Waffles and why?
Posted by Case_One, Mon Feb-02-15 05:11 PM

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."
12716422, Waffles, for the crispiness
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:54 PM
Have you read the book Zealot? If not, is it on purpose?
12716352, Name an aspect about yourself that you've finally accepted.
Posted by SimplyHannah, Mon Feb-02-15 05:26 PM
12716425, My beard is red.
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 06:57 PM
Growing up, I had VERY blonde hair. As I got older, it got a little darker, but I was still considered blonde. As an adult, some people have called me a redhead, and I strenuously fight against it. I refuse to accept that my hair is red. At best, I'll concede Strawberry Blonde.

But last year I started growing a beard for the first time. And when I trim it and look down in the sink, there's no denying that shit is red.

What aspect of you has been alleged by others but you will NEVER accept?
12716428, why do I have some many haters?
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Feb-02-15 07:02 PM
Is it just because I'm devastatingly handsome?

Or is it because of my incredible intellectual prowess?

Also how much shit do y'all talk abt me in the velvet room.

For the record most of the gd mods are mia and suck.

Thanks.

does it really matter?

Look at that motherfucker, Binlahab! damn i wish I was him - Corey
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
12716437, when you've said 179,000+ things on here, some will have pissed ppl off
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Feb-02-15 07:11 PM
you should know firsthand that no one really talks about anything in velvet.

I go there once a week to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

What have you said on here that you wished you could take back?