Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThanks for your thoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12715432&mesg_id=12732181
12732181, Thanks for your thoughts
Posted by nipsey, Fri Feb-20-15 12:23 AM
I offered comments on your podcast above, I'm not sure if you saw them.

>I really appreciate the content.
>
>at first listen, it all seems fairly informative.
>
>and you have to bear with me, because im not even a podcast
>fan, but the more im familiarizing myself, the more i find to
>appreciate and forgive.
>
>everyone says sound quality is important, so im curious about
>your set-up.
>
>we want to get to a radio broadcast quality of sound, so we
>have dedicated hardware - xlr mics, audio interface etc.
>
>are you all using usb mics? i can tell there's a lot of
>compression in your audio. sounds like a skype session almost.

We use the Yeti Blue microphone and record using Garageband. I am a complete novice to podcasting and sound engineering, so I'm not sure what is the best settings to use for my microphone. We use the "cardioid" setting on the microphone and I use the "podcasting" setting on garageband.

Our apartment is "open" concept and we record at our dining table. So you can hear the the refrigerator cycling on and off. That's pretty much going to be the case until we're able to move to a larger apartment.

>
>also, i can tell you all dont do too much editing. i think
>there's value in removing some uhhhs and aaahs. im not sure
>how valuable it is, really.

I purposely decided not to edit. Two reasons: 1) I'm lazy and don't really want to spend the time going through and editing every mess up. I'd rather get the podcast out there and 2) I want the podcast to sound like a free flowing conversation.

>
>do you all give yourselves a time limit? what's the motivation
>for going an hour plus?

The goal was initially to do between 45 minutes and 1 hour. Sometimes we go over the hour but only by a few minutes. The reason we go over is really just us getting caught up in the conversation and wanting to ensure we hit all the topics we planned to talk about.

>also, i find it funny with the 'family' approach to podcasts.
>
>
>wholesome podcasts with husband and wife runs the risk of
>sounding corny. i don't think you all are corny, but im
>curious about the motivation for husband and wife team? will
>you talk about your marriage? sleeping in separate rooms?
>inlaws?
>
>why not just a man and a woman who are co hosts, who happen to
>be married.

I hear what you're saying. There was no real motivation other than letting people know we were a husband and wife. We don't have any plans to talk about topics specific to marriage. I'd rather not do that personally.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's still a work in progress. Especially with me learning the ins and outs of garageband and manipulating the sound settings. We're going to keep working to make a higher quality podcast.