Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTalking Cars on Saturday: This Fucking Grand Marquis
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12714927
12714927, Talking Cars on Saturday: This Fucking Grand Marquis
Posted by Oakley, Sat Jan-31-15 10:56 AM
so I have a 96 Grand Marquis, had it a couple years, can't have more than 100K on the odometer.

About a month ago, I started having this issue where when it was cold, and the car had been sitting for a long period of time, like overnight, when I go to start it first thing in the morning (6AM), it just cranks, but won't ever start. however if I leave it and come back around 8, it starts right up, no problem.
The CEL is not on, and there are no codes.

I took it in to have it looked at.
of course they couldn't replicate the problem.
they told me that they were fairly confident that it was the fuel pump. and that to replace that and filters and wiring, etc. would run me around $1,000. since the car is almost 20 years old, and i'm trying to get something new/er in the next year or two I just went and picked it up.

I later found out that if I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition(when it won't start) that the fuel pump is working.

i've poked around the internets and found that my problem could possibly be the MAF Sensor or the Crank Sensor.

any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
12714941, Talking Cars: Is there Car more responsible than the Honda CV-5?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Jan-31-15 11:42 AM
These upper middle class stroller pushing bjorn wering white folks in my neighborhood LOVE this car. 4 or 5 on the block. It's kind of what subarus use to be to these people a few years ago.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12714954, sounds like battery to me
Posted by GHNO, Sat Jan-31-15 12:13 PM
12714999, RE: sounds like battery to me
Posted by Oakley, Sat Jan-31-15 01:36 PM
Just got a new battery a couple months ago
12714965, check the Ignition coils
Posted by DavidHasselhoff, Sat Jan-31-15 12:27 PM
12715001, RE: check the Ignition coils
Posted by Oakley, Sat Jan-31-15 01:37 PM
How do You do that?
12715013, fam, get the haynes/chilton book on it and fix that shit yourself
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Sat Jan-31-15 02:30 PM
>so I have a 96 Grand Marquis, had it a couple years, can't
>have more than 100K on the odometer.
>
>About a month ago, I started having this issue where when it
>was cold, and the car had been sitting for a long period of
>time, like overnight, when I go to start it first thing in the
>morning (6AM), it just cranks, but won't ever start. however
>if I leave it and come back around 8, it starts right up, no
>problem.
>The CEL is not on, and there are no codes.
>
>I took it in to have it looked at.
>of course they couldn't replicate the problem.
>they told me that they were fairly confident that it was the
>fuel pump. and that to replace that and filters and wiring,
>etc. would run me around $1,000. since the car is almost 20
>years old, and i'm trying to get something new/er in the next
>year or two I just went and picked it up.
>
>I later found out that if I can hear the fuel pump when I turn
>the ignition(when it won't start) that the fuel pump is
>working.
>
>
>i've poked around the internets and found that my problem
>could possibly be the MAF Sensor or the Crank Sensor.
>
>any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm being reeeeally serious here. For someone that ain't a mechanic, changing all three is maybe a day job. I changed the fuel pump on out old Caravan years ago without having enough jacks and shit and a half tank of gas (the pump was attached to the fuel tank, which had to be dropped and weighed a helluvalot due to the gasoline in it). I did it before going to work that day... shit took me like 3 hours to finish and I strolled into the office at about 10-11am.

The MAF sensor shouldn't take long to replace at all and neither should the CKP sensor. If the fuel pump is located in the tank like it was on my old van then it will be the most time consuming part of the job.

But... You'll save a shitload of money doing it. Parts can't cost too much for that car.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12715018, yeah the Crank Sensor and MAF sensor shouldn't be hard to do
Posted by Oakley, Sat Jan-31-15 02:36 PM
not sure bout the fuel pump.
my only issue is that the car isn't throwing any codes, the CEL isn't on, so it's all shots in the dark. and i'm concerned that i'd spend time and money on this and still have the same problem.
12715063, No CEL?
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jan-31-15 03:32 PM
That's an OBDII car, a shitty MAF or CKP would more than likely throw a CEL.
12715106, yeah, no CEL
Posted by Oakley, Sat Jan-31-15 04:56 PM
when the mechanic hooked it up he didn't get any codes so I know it's not a issue with the light in my dash
12715055, just because you can hear the fuel pump working...
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jan-31-15 03:28 PM
doesn't mean that it's pumping enough VOLUME. That's important. I can't tell you how many times I have had a car that started all day long and it wasn't until we had the customer leave the car overnight, then checked it first thing in the morning, that it acted up. What's happening is...the fuel pump has an internal check valve and it's supposed to leave the fuel rails with fuel in them for a start up. When this check valves fails, that doesn't happen...of course, this takes time...like, overnight time. Without hearing anything else except what you described, I would have said it's the fuel pump. That's sight unseen, of course, but that'd be my educated guess.
12715105, how dificult is it to replace the fuel pump on this car?
Posted by Oakley, Sat Jan-31-15 04:51 PM
cause i see fuel pumps on Autozone for $100 and they were quoting me $1,000
12715181, depends on how easy it is to get to the fuel tank.
Posted by GHNO, Sat Jan-31-15 09:37 PM
if it's in the trunk, it's probably easy as hell....
if it's under the backseat...might be a tad more difficult.
12715236, think it's under the backseat.
Posted by Oakley, Sun Feb-01-15 08:59 AM
12715363, sorry man, forgot to check back in....
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Feb-01-15 05:47 PM
the pump is bolted in sideways in the fuel tank. You don't have to drop the tank, but you DO need to get under the car...so you'll need some clearance under there. There's like 6 bolts that hold the outside of the pump to the tank. Fam...if you've got ANY gas in that jawn...be prepared to get poured on. No way around it. It will pour til it gets below the opening of the pump (again, it sits in there sideways as opposed to most pumps that go in from the top of the tank)
12715372, oh wow...that's crazy! why sideway?
Posted by GHNO, Sun Feb-01-15 06:13 PM
12717907, so, on sunday, at the advice of a co-worker
Posted by Oakley, Wed Feb-04-15 08:12 AM
i bought a can of MAF Sensor cleaner, and a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner. Poured the Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas Tank, and Sprayed the MAF Sensor and the other sensor in the air filter box with the MAF sensor cleaner. it got cold and wet again this week, and the car has run fine since I did that. hopefully it keeps up. if not I guess I start looking at the fuel pump.

thank you
12715064, You need it to work at 6am but it doesn't start 'til 8am?
Posted by CRichMonkey, Sat Jan-31-15 03:32 PM
Your car is black.

Throw some chicken in the trunk and talk about its momma and it'll crank right up.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*
12715072, http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/042/174/1266418652493.gifRE: You need it to work at 6am but it doesn't start 'til 8am?
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Sat Jan-31-15 03:41 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/042/174/1266418652493.gif

>your car is black

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12715263, check your contacts around the battery
Posted by LAbeathustla, Sun Feb-01-15 10:22 AM
make sure they are clean and tight..it could be something this simple
12721349, Not sure if i should make a new post for this saturday....
Posted by Playa_Politician, Sat Feb-07-15 04:20 PM
looking at 2013 Tacomas, i can get a TRD or SR5 for about the price. what's the better value?