Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe $250 laptop from wallyworld is better than a tablet
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12713540&mesg_id=12714396
12714396, The $250 laptop from wallyworld is better than a tablet
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Fri Jan-30-15 03:19 PM
>I'll take an LG G3/iphone 6+ over a 2003-2010 budget laptop in
>terms of functionality.... Due to resolution and reliable
>hardware/software. 2003 budget laptops should barely work at
>this point. Ditto for anything from 2004 to 2010 that is not a
>2008+ macbook.

For starters, it's a -new- laptop with a current OS (Win 8.1).

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/C50/C55D-B5319

^^^ This one in particular.

Before you try to scoff at it and begin to tell me everything you think you CAN'T do with it, let me tell you a little something about what I'm currently using.

I'm running a new in 2010 Dell Inspiron 1121, aka the 11z. It's running a dual core first gen, low power i3-330UM processor with 8GB of RAM. It's an 11" laptop with a screen resolution of 1366x768 and no optical drive running Win 7.

However...

I run my entire business from this machine right now with help from the second monitor I have attached to it. At any given point in time I have at least two virtual machines running (one XP, the other Fedora 20), one for each of my clients and anything else for testing code or OS changes. Both VM's get their own dedicated wireless connection out via USB wifi adapters so I can better manage the VPN connections to the client sites.

While that's going on, from the host OS (Win7) I typically have a shit ton of applications running at any given time ranging from browsers (right now I have IE, Firefox, and Opera running, all with multiple tabs with firefox at 14 tabs alone... I just stopped to count), Winamp, Wireshark, Eclipse, Notepad ++, Python IDLE and likely a Cygwin session running.

When I'm not working, it serves as my audio workstation. I have my keyboard and audio interface plugged in with FL Studio+plugins running or maybe Cubase 5 or Sonar running depending on my mood. It can handle quite a bit in terms of plugins without so much as a hiccup.

... with that said... That Toshiba is running a more recent processor than mine with far better graphics capability than the Intel HD crap integrated in the i3 I have. The one issue I have with the laptop is that you can't upgrade memory on it: It's stuck at 4GB. For my daughter it's fine, for me it'll never do.

>
>From my perspective, those budget laptops are locked on
>inferior outdated operating systems using ancient hardware.
>Give me a 2014 flagship tablet over a 2003-2010 budget laptop.
>

Your perspective is wrong.

You'd be hard pressed to find a laptop for sale from a major retailer running anything less than Win8 with 8.1 being the standard these days. Also, the hardware is almost never outdated or even "ancient" by any stretch of the imagination.

FWIW, my 2010 "budget" laptop (the Inspiron 1121) runs circles around a 2015 flagship tablet by every measure except 3D performance... And even then it's surprised me a time or two with what it can handle.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D