Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat is a narrow and incomplete point of view.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12711266&mesg_id=12712673
12712673, That is a narrow and incomplete point of view.
Posted by initiationofplato, Thu Jan-29-15 11:51 AM
In other words, you are ignoring death rates and are focusing only on addiction. Addiction does not always lead to death.

I did not have to bend over backwards to make any numbers work for me, I'm not sure where you got that. In fact, you are framing the problem from 1 perspective and attempting to make a point about the whole, in essence, you are bending over backwards to make the numbers work for you.

What is more pertinent? Death or Addiction that can be cured?

1. I posted research which, by using the scientific method, has established alcohol as the most damaging substance to the user and the community, ranked above cocaine and other hard drugs. You don't have to take my word for it, take it up with the researchers.
2. I posted American and Global death rates for alcohol and cocaine. We can look at heroin, meth, whatever you like, the results will be similar. Alcohol kills far more than illicit drugs.

>86% of Americans drank alcohol in 2013 272m people)
>25% of Americans admit to binge drinking in 2013 (79m
>Americans)
>7.2% of Americans had an Alcohol Use Disorder in 2013 (22m
>Americans)
>
>About 1 in 12 (8.3%) drinkers develop a problem with alcohol
>use.
>
>1.6% of Americans took cocaine in 2012 (5m Americans)
>1.1m Americans were treated for cocaine addiction in 2012.
>
>So about 1 in 5 (20%) cocaine users develop a problem with
>cocaine use.
>

Your stats basically only establish and work towards proving the point I am making. Even though cocaine can be more addictive, it kills less people than alcohol, so which is the harder drug?