Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNobody has engaged that point because it's very well-trodden already.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12711266&mesg_id=12712635
12712635, Nobody has engaged that point because it's very well-trodden already.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Thu Jan-29-15 11:28 AM
I don't think you'll find (m)any OKPs that disagree with the notion that the War On Drugs has always been an utterly useless and regressive policy largely due to the availability of alcohol and the War's tendency to zero-in on poor people and/or ethnic minorities and dole out disproportionate sentences that ruin people's lives.

The reason people are only engaging the "Alcohol is the hardest drug" bit is because it's in the thread title and it's wrong enough for everyone to call out; unless you bend over backwards to make the numbers work for you. Your numbers are unreliable at every turn - why would you bring a statistic into the conversation about people who've "taken cocaine at least once in their life" when we're talking about damage through long term use? It's irrelevant and only serves to cloud an already murky issue even more.

Let's try a little harder to keep focus on those numbers:

86% of Americans drank alcohol in 2013 272m people)
25% of Americans admit to binge drinking in 2013 (79m Americans)
7.2% of Americans had an Alcohol Use Disorder in 2013 (22m Americans)

About 1 in 12 (8.3%) drinkers develop a problem with alcohol use.

1.6% of Americans took cocaine in 2012 (5m Americans)
1.1m Americans were treated for cocaine addiction in 2012 (i.e. real number was likely higher).

So about 1 in 5 (20%) cocaine users develop a problem with cocaine use.

Even if you only look at addiction rates, cocaine is a harder drug than alcohol. Anecdotally, everyone knows someone who's been drunk nearly every night of their life and lived a full life to a ripe age. I bet most of us know one or two people who tried that with cocaine or opium and experienced VASTLY different results.