Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat's cool, although enlightenment is not the goal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12706906&mesg_id=12708149
12708149, That's cool, although enlightenment is not the goal
Posted by initiationofplato, Fri Jan-23-15 11:15 PM
Enlightenment cannot be attained really, it has to be experienced, and it is symptomatic of knowing your self in the present reality.

>Is more to my point.
>
>Also that while you've given good advice IMO, the entire field
>of meditation is so mysterious, ancient, and complex, that
>even after internalizing the lessons you outline, one still
>continuously finds oneself at a beginning point.

It's a well developed and outlined practice. As an example, the Tibetan Book of the Dead was written based on the knowledge one experienced through meditation, which is a guide on navigating the spiritual realm after you die in order to escape the cycle of rebirth. I think meditation in the west is as you said, "mysterious". In the east it is a real means to a very specific reality.

True mastery
>of these concepts is almost impossible. Separating reality
>from fiction is great advice, but know that that separation is
>incredibly subtle sometimes.

It is not impossible. It requires focus and self awareness, and finally the ability to detach. It is difficult for us here because we are exposed to a vast variety of distractions which become totally consuming. We we are very good at absorbing ourselves in something. Experiencing enlightenment I think feels like an avalanche, practicing small acts, or the lack of certain thoughts will bring you closer to your true self. The true self emerges more and more on its own as you close the door to the past or future. It picks up momentum on its own because ultimately, you learn to let go.

I like what you said about the subtlety of separation. I know exactly of what you are referring to as it happens to me, but, I can honestly say the difference overall in my life has changed pretty dramatically and it came with little to no effort. As anything it takes a bit of practice. Zen masters say that some people are able to meditate quickly and effectively, and are like a Stallion, but there are others who are like donkey's, they struggle, and are slow for a long time, but if they continue on this path, they eventually surpass the stallion. I think it would be helpful for society to inject a healthy level of spirituality into the mechanized world, to en-soul it with unifying spiritual ideas as opposed to differences and argument. The world is truly plagued by a kind of immaturity I think.