Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectComparing slavery to abortion (swipe from a FB friend's status update)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12706624
12706624, Comparing slavery to abortion (swipe from a FB friend's status update)
Posted by NikaMandela, Thu Jan-22-15 09:12 PM
im so disgusted i cant even think straight.

"Today in 1973 the Supreme Court made its decision in the Roe vs Wade case clearing the way for our modern day abortion happy society. In the 42 years since this ruling it is estimated that the death toll for aborted babies is between 55 and 57 MILLION. To put this in perspective I will compare it to another dark time in American history. The first slave was brought to America in 1603 and slavery was abolished in 1867. In that 264 years the death toll for slaves in America is believed to be 60 MILLION. Are we any better now than we were then? We should be ashamed of ourselves."
12706627, that fool would get cussed out and unfriended.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Jan-22-15 09:18 PM
12706638, i like to know how the enemy thinks.
Posted by NikaMandela, Thu Jan-22-15 09:35 PM
so i dont unfriend.
12706834, I never understood this argument for FB
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-23-15 09:02 AM

I can see it for news or soundbites but I damn sure don't need to see the inner workings of a racist on my FB feed.

12706840, i don't understand it in any context.
Posted by SoWhat, Fri Jan-23-15 09:14 AM
i don't care how my 'enemy' thinks. LOL

i mean, i do when it comes to trials but that's it.

i don't give a flying fuck what the KKK thinks. or Westboro Baptist. or Case One.

they can all fuck off. i have no interest in analyzing why they're as abhorrent as they are. what makes them tick? hate. evil. pure and simple. i already know.
12706846, So we are enemies? Really? It's that personal for you?
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:23 AM
Come one SW. Not like this. I actually like you.

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."
12706848, i find you pretty repulsive.
Posted by SoWhat, Fri Jan-23-15 09:24 AM
12706856, WOW. Man. That hurt.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:30 AM
On the Real my dude, I've never look at you like that. Even after all the foul, dirty, nasty things you have said to and about me, I've never took any of it personal or to the point where I thought of you as being repulsive. Damn!

I guess I've turned that other cheek once too many with you and have failed to see you with any disdain. Anyway, Be blessed.

12706858, good for you, rev.
Posted by SoWhat, Fri Jan-23-15 09:31 AM
12706872, So, I guess I'm not on your Christmas list.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:42 AM
May the Lord help your heart, because it takes effort to be repulsed and that's just too much wasted opportunity for peace and love to abide instead.

12706889, its more personal than political
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 09:52 AM
i just like knowing how different people think.

i feel the same way about other horrible types of people.

i also like to look at things from their POV to make my arguments against them stronger.
12706973, I used to do that with politics...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-23-15 10:31 AM
I listened to a little bit of Rush or Hannity to debate a coworker who was a good friend and hardcore righty...

shit made me bitter

Had to cut that shit off. LOL...

Now if I flip past Fox News I will stop for 30 seconds and smh at all that time wasted listening to people who are paid to hate.

12706651, can you imagine how (much more) fucked up...
Posted by fontgangsta, Thu Jan-22-15 09:57 PM
this country would be if 55 million UNWANTED children had been born in the last 42 years?
12706823, You're Kidding.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 08:55 AM

12706874, not the slightest bit
Posted by fontgangsta, Fri Jan-23-15 09:44 AM
12706893, I see your point, but IMO it's very crude way to see the matter
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:54 AM
Yaknow. I think the issue should fall on responsible behavior vs. eliminating what people call unwanted children/ pregnancies.

12706960, Cart vs horse
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Fri Jan-23-15 10:25 AM
The punishment for irresponsible actions is a child that neither contributor wants yeah we see how well that works out.

huh
12706965, You have to train the horse and use the cart better..
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 10:26 AM
Yaknow.

12706980, i agree with this - which is my biggest problem with a lot of lifers
Posted by fontgangsta, Fri Jan-23-15 10:35 AM
the loudest anti-abortion advocates are the same ones who want to deny access to birth control and comprehensive sex-ed as well, when in fact they should be full-throated supporters of these things

you can be against one or the other - if you're against both then you're just an ideologue and i have no use for you.
12707067, they also tend to be against social welfare programs
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 11:07 AM
yeah so its ok to make a woman have a child she cant provide for and allow that child to go naked and hungry and without health care.
12706855, or if the women who chose to abort didn't have the option
Posted by SoWhat, Fri Jan-23-15 09:30 AM
of having the procedure safely. how many of them would've had the procedure anyway? in likely unsafe conditions? which could've exposed them to serious risk of long term injury.

b/c that's the point of 'legalized abortion' - that we understand that prohibiting abortion via mainstream channels will only result in poor women risking their lives to have abortions on the black market. where the doctors and settings aren't regulated and controlled.

we legalized abortion b/c we value the poor, disenfranchised women who will choose abortion. if we didn't value those women we'd go back to the prohibition of abortion. and then only rich women or those w/connections would get those safer abortions on the black market. you know, the way things used to be.

talk to enough older women and you'll hear a story or few about some woman they know (if not themselves) who had a black market abortion. i've heard horror stories.
12706790, wow just wow
Posted by Ezzsential, Fri Jan-23-15 07:44 AM
they sure do find ways to kill people dont they
fuck abortion and fuck slavery

i dont have colors
my mmsic:
www.soundclick.com/sylana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brb8g8f18xE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgNuVHrEKI
12706811, This is awful
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Fri Jan-23-15 08:45 AM
I have never gotten a cogent answer from anti abortion folks about what we will do with the unwanted children that are born.

I am really not here for the MAAFA 21 rhetoric either. I know the story of Sanger and Planned Parenthood but there is no way you can tell me that family planning and birth control arent positive.
huh
12706821, So, you're mad about a valid numbers comparison?
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 08:54 AM
>im so disgusted i cant even think straight.
>
>"Today in 1973 the Supreme Court made its decision in the Roe
>vs Wade case clearing the way for our modern day abortion
>happy society. In the 42 years since this ruling it is
>estimated that the death toll for aborted babies is between 55
>and 57 MILLION. To put this in perspective I will compare it
>to another dark time in American history. The first slave was
>brought to America in 1603 and slavery was abolished in 1867.
>In that 264 years the death toll for slaves in America is
>believed to be 60 MILLION. Are we any better now than we were
>then? We should be ashamed of ourselves."

You're so disgusted over a comment where someone compared the death of millions of souls cause via slavery and the death of missions of souls cause by Americans and our irresponsible behavior as a whole. What's missing? I'm not going to argue over a woman's right to choose or not to choose, but you can't be "so disgusted i cant even think straight" unless you think the numbers are false. IDK, I haven't complied the numbers, but the point is still valid when reflecting on the deaths of souls, not just the why but the result.

So, explain the reason as to why you're "so disgusted" that you "cant even think straight." I really want to know so that I can see your perspective more clearly.

12706836, Fallacy of equivalence
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Fri Jan-23-15 09:06 AM
Unless you are one of those folks that feel that life starts at conception.

huh
12706844, It's only a fallacy of equivalence if you object to the numbers.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:21 AM
But, say we cut the numbers by 1/2 for the sake of babies that are beyond the point if initial conception, that still 27500000 Murdered Souls.

Is that still a fallacy of equivalence for your too?

12706852, Yes
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Fri Jan-23-15 09:29 AM
Viable human beings vs potential human beings.

If we were to extend that idea then every time a woman has a period or a man has an ejaculation without meeting an egg, thats "murder".

huh
12706867, But you can't negate the belief of others to consider souls -
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:37 AM
even at conception. The point where the spark of life begins. For some life begins when the egg is fertilized by the sperm and activity starts to take place. And for those people the numbers are valid.

I look at it like this, an egg is only the potential of what can be, but once it's fertilized it becomes activated and the process of Being and Becoming takes place.

12706875, Well actually
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Fri Jan-23-15 09:44 AM
I can disagree with folks beliefs and feelings. If I do not believe that life begins at conception then I dont. I don't try to convince anyone of my feelings at all.

I think the continuation of a pregnancy is between the woman, her partner and her medical professional and their respective creators if they have one.

This discussion as a whole is mired in emotional rhetoric and both sides really cant see straight.
huh
12706887, RE: Well actually.. Ummm wait..
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:52 AM
>I can disagree with folks beliefs and feelings. If I do not
>believe that life begins at conception then I dont. I don't
>try to convince anyone of my feelings at all.
>

Hey, I never said that you couldn't disagree. I said that you can't negate other's beliefs. The to matters are different. And we are always trying to provide our opinions which is nothing more then an opportunity to be heard and the possibility to sway.

>I think the continuation of a pregnancy is between the woman,
>her partner and her medical professional and their respective
>creators if they have one.
>

That's fair. But we were talking about where life begins, because you made that a point of the conversation, not me.

>This discussion as a whole is mired in emotional rhetoric and
>both sides really cant see straight.

Well, I think that you an I are doing a pretty good job of keeping the emotion out of the matter. So, it seems like it's going well to me.

Yup!

12706857, slavery is worse than murder.
Posted by Joe Corn Mo, Fri Jan-23-15 09:30 AM
the only legitimate comparrison is genocide.
if only black or jewish babies were aborted, you'd have a point.

It would still be a shitty point,
but whatever.

>But, say we cut the numbers by 1/2 for the sake of babies
>that are beyond the point if initial conception, that still
>27500000 Murdered Souls.
>
>Is that still a fallacy of equivalence for your too?
>
>
>
>
>.
>.
>.
>
12706868, Murder is murder no matter the method.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 09:40 AM
And slavery was genocide in various forms.

12706967, slavery is worse than murder.
Posted by Joe Corn Mo, Fri Jan-23-15 10:28 AM
The only comporable event is genocide.
12706995, Life. Even with life there's hope. No life, no hope.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 10:40 AM

12707017, given a choice between death and enslavement, I would likely chose death.
Posted by Joe Corn Mo, Fri Jan-23-15 10:48 AM
I am not as strong as my ancestors.
I have seriously considered suicide in less horrible circumstances than slavery.

I don't know how they did it.

Slavey is worse than murder.
The only comparable event is genocide.
12707086, Well I'm glad my ancestors chose to live
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 11:15 AM

12707459, great.
Posted by Joe Corn Mo, Fri Jan-23-15 01:43 PM
slavery is worse than murder.
the cost of slavery includes the dehumanizing suffering slaves had to endure in life.

and also, many of them were murdered too.
so there's that.

12707478, I'm glad that my ancestors thought about the future
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 01:58 PM
>slavery is worse than murder.
>the cost of slavery includes the dehumanizing suffering slaves
>had to endure in life.
>
>and also, many of them were murdered too.
>so there's that.
>

And chose to live on. And no matter what your say All Human Life is sacred and murder is murder no matter what the method.

12706968, the numbers are beside the point
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 10:28 AM
im disgusted by the notion that a born life and an unborn life are equal. that a woman who has hopes and dreams and emotions and motivations, who has to endure pregnancy and labor and provide for her child is equivalent to her fetus.

knowing that most of the people who oppose abortion are those who arent in a position to ever have to make that choice (men, menopausal woman, married women), i'm offended at making a moral comparison btwn the legalization of something that serves as a viable option for many poor, single women (abortion) vs. the legalization of something that enables rich white men to get richer, deprives black people of their humanity and establishes hate and oppression as the law (slavery).

it's also just stupid mathematically to compare dead slaves to dead fetuses. the horror of slavery wasn't that people died during it. the horror was in the lives they lived, not that they died like everyone else.

now if you want to compare 60 million black people who never had to be slaves to 60 million fetuses who were never born, that would make more sense. but that leads us to acknowledge that black people would have been better off without slavery, however we can't say that fetuses are better off being born when they don't have the consciousness to know they are born or not. we can even take it a step further and acknowledge that the world is a better place when people who are ready and desiring to be parents make up a higher percentage of parents vs those that would rather not have them for whatever reason.

saying that abortion is a result of irresponsible behavior is beside the point. people have sex. we're supposed to. biology dont give a fuck about your personal circumstances.

unless you abstained from sex before marriage, got married, then had children, and stayed with your spouse forever, you have no room to talk, because anything less than that is irresponsible. only those who have brought children into the world under ideal circumstances can say they are responsible.
12706978, Abortion is weird...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-23-15 10:34 AM
I leaned towards pro life until a girl told me she might be prego in HS. I definitely had thoughts about aborting but thank god she was just late.

One thing I noticed is most of the women I know who had an abortion are still feeling the pain from it. Not the physical pain but the emotional pain.

That has to be a tough thing to go through.
12707013, yeah i'm also offended by "abortion happy society"
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 10:46 AM
as if women who get abortions are skipping their way along to the clinic.
12707012, Dead People are Dead Souls regardless
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 10:46 AM
So, at the end of the day we are all going to have to answer for the lives that have been murdered.

12707046, we dont prosecute people for murdering souls.
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 10:57 AM
we prosecute people for murdering humans.

gotta draw the line somewhere.

all living beings have souls. how do we know human souls are worth more than animal or plant souls? we dont have the capacity to measure the value of a soul. so why shouldnt people be arrested for killing roaches or cutting down trees?

the moment you bring soul into the convo, you are bringing in personal opinions that vary widely and a very slippery slope. the law dont work that way.
12707066, When say souls it's synonymous with humans
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 11:06 AM
You ever heard the response that X about of souls were lost at sea or died in a crash. Come'on.

>we prosecute people for murdering humans.
>
>gotta draw the line somewhere.
>
>all living beings have souls. how do we know human souls are
>worth more than animal or plant souls? we dont have the
>capacity to measure the value of a soul. so why shouldnt
>people be arrested for killing roaches or cutting down trees?
>

Human Souls are worth more to God over animals. And we don't know if animals have souls.

>the moment you bring soul into the convo, you are bringing in
>personal opinions that vary widely and a very slippery slope.
>the law dont work that way.

We are all talking about personal opinions.

12707077, lol you are speaking for God now?
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 11:12 AM
how on earth would you know what distinct value God places over humans vs animals????

if a soul who has taken many breaths in the world is equivalent to a soul that has never been born and has taken no breaths, how can we say a human souls are more valuable than animal souls? how can a soul of an unborn human be more valuable than the soul of a living orca or gorilla?

this makes no sense.

the use of the word "souls" to describe plane crash victims always struck me as eerie. but i suppose its out of respect, not out of some form of legality. besides, if a woman on board is like 2 weeks preggers, theyre not gonna count that unborn baby. but they would if she was 8 months pregnant. but a soul is a soul and we are terrible at quantifying them.
12707082, I'm speaking about what God says. Bible
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 11:14 AM
Do you read the Bible and have you any insight how it proves the mind and character of God?

It's not that hard.

12707109, where in the Bible does God say human souls are more valuable
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 11:24 AM
than animal souls?

please point out specific verses if you can.
12707174, Show me in the Bible where it says Animals have souls?
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 11:55 AM
But I can tell your that God spoke everything into existence and, but he formed man out of the clay if the earth and then he breather his life into man and he became a living soul.

12707299, i believe in science, not creationism
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 12:41 PM
if humans have souls, then animals do too since we are evolved from them.

i cant recall how animals came about in Genesis but i suppose you want to believe that animals have brains and heartbeats and a will to live but they dont have souls.

12707473, Well I believe in God of all who created the gifts of Science.
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 01:56 PM
>if humans have souls, then animals do too since we are
>evolved from them.
>
>i cant recall how animals came about in Genesis but i suppose
>you want to believe that animals have brains and heartbeats
>and a will to live but they dont have souls.
>

Science can't prove that a soul exist, yet you believe in them. Hmmmm

12707498, i do believe in souls. but thats my opinion, not a fact.
Posted by NikaMandela, Fri Jan-23-15 02:04 PM
science is factual.

i also believe humans shouldnt and cant dictate which souls are more important than others.
12707241, irresponsible behavior?
Posted by GirlChild, Fri Jan-23-15 12:18 PM
12707455, wrong spot.
Posted by Joe Corn Mo, Fri Jan-23-15 01:40 PM
12707475, Yup. Not thinking pass the emotion of a sexual encounter
Posted by Case_One, Fri Jan-23-15 01:57 PM

12707129, Abortion, slavery, the holocaust, the trail of tears, Nanking, etc...
Posted by Atillah Moor, Fri Jan-23-15 11:34 AM
They are all horrible and really don't need to be compared.
12707133, EGGZACKLEE (c) Magic Johnson. I hate this Olympics of misery shit
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jan-23-15 11:35 AM
But that said, abortion sort of fails to fit in with those others for even a loose comparison. It's just not the same thing.
12707147, lol. wat.
Posted by sweet ruffian, Fri Jan-23-15 11:43 AM
one of these things is not like the others, though.
12707483, they are all huge losses of life
Posted by Atillah Moor, Fri Jan-23-15 02:00 PM
and in certain cases they are loses of life due to a life being abused which IMO is twice as tragic. Sometimes it's two lives lost as a result of poor practice or instruments. It is also tragic that the human solution to a new life is to destroy it and unlike the aforementioned tragedies this one seems to be perpetual in nature or at least more so.

Abortion as a practical means to deal with mankind's inner ill's is a tragedy. If a woman wants to kill her fetus it is ultimately her choice, but think of all the other ways an "unwanted" or unexpected pregnancy could be handled without abortion as a "solution".

12707463, WTF?
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Jan-23-15 01:45 PM