Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMinorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12704041
12704041, Minorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*
Posted by Mongo, Wed Jan-21-15 11:00 AM
http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/01/minorities-and-the-slumburbs/384680/

The history goes something like this: White families left inner cities in droves during the white-flight era of the 1950s and 60s. Now they are returning to—have returned to—the metro centers that their grandparents once called home. Families of color called these inner cities home during decades of depopulation. Now they, in turn, are leaving for—have already left for—the suburbs. Drawn by the promise of safer schools, larger homes, and better lives, or alternatively, pushed out by rising property taxes, it doesn't matter: What minorities found in the suburbs was the subprime mortgage crisis, followed by the collapse of the global economy.

That's the theory behind "slumburbia," the notion that the dark conditions that once characterized the Inner City are following minorities as they pursue the American Dream to the suburbs. Gawker's Hamilton Nolan used the label to explain rising suburban poverty. The New York Times's Timothy Egan applied the term to the Inland Empire.

There's a flaw to this theory of a growing "slumburban" America, and to the notion that the suburbs are contributing to ever-downward social and economic mobility for minorities relative to whites. A new study finds that, in fact, minority households are faring better in some suburbs, specifically those suburbs that have "matured" after the 1968 Fair Housing Act. Most of the gains in these places—what the study describes as "post-civil rights suburbs"—are accruing to low-income and African-American households.
12704052, This will be the new normal. See the Paris suburbs
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jan-21-15 11:08 AM
Cities have the infrastructure, amenities and communities. It's only 'cism that pushed affluent people out of the cities. In more (historically) homogenous societies where white flight wasn't a factor, the suburbs are where people who can't afford the city live, not vice versa.

People SHOULD want to live in the cities (or completely rural areas). Dense population centers are what birthed society and civilization. Humans are meant to live in close proximity with other humans.
12704107, older I get, the more I'm thinking like this
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jan-21-15 11:26 AM
>People SHOULD want to live in the cities (or completely rural
>areas). Dense population centers are what birthed society and
>civilization. Humans are meant to live in close proximity with
>other humans.

was out driving in near "No Man's Land". thought about how annoying it must be to go out miles to get to anything of note when you ain't on a farm
12704118, I GET the farm/rural thing
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jan-21-15 11:29 AM
but I don't understand why people want to live in the middle of nowhere and NOT be in the country.
12704141, the best years of my life
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jan-21-15 11:40 AM
were when we lived a mile from our closest neighbors. it was also the time when i probably had the closest relationship with my neighbors.

being able to walk out without being bomboarded by the presence of others is truly a joy. of course i still want access to some of the things the modern world. but living all on top of each other... nah.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
12704151, This I get. What I don't get is being an hour away from the city and
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jan-21-15 11:45 AM
NOT living a mile away from your closest neighbor.
12704155, I was 90 minutes from the nearest city
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jan-21-15 11:48 AM
Required trips maybe two times a month for essentials.

*edit* oh maybe you're talking about suburbs with row houses... yeah not me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

12704621, its a compromise
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jan-21-15 03:53 PM
a bit more space rather that what might be the opposite of claustrophobia

a bit of yard rather than having to care for an acre or more of land

just compromise
i get it

realized i really want a large condo not land because unless i'm retired i'm not trying to do all they work to maintain the house and the land
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12704743, Most ppl aren't going to the museum routinely
Posted by ndibs, Wed Jan-21-15 04:51 PM
And don't have dining needs McDonald's or tgi Fridays can't fulfill.

Low crime and good schools are most ppls reasons.

12705267, This is why we left NYC
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jan-22-15 09:18 AM
it wasn't the only reason. We definitely wanted to be able to afford to buy property and the bubble bursting in 2008/09 didn't help.

All the shit we claimed we loved about NYC we weren't actually doing.

My sister still lives in Brooklyn and if we want to experience NYC we just fly up and enjoy all it has to offer.
12705471, I can see that. Why pay for what you don't need
Posted by John Forte, Thu Jan-22-15 11:00 AM
That's a big part of why Pittsburgh works for me. It has shitty nightlife, but I don't go out like that anymore anyway. As far as museums and culture go, I visit a museum or gallery at least twice a month. We're members at all the Carnegie Museums (art, natural history, science center, Andy Warhol museum), the Children's museum, as well as the zoo and Phipps Conservatory. We eat out at the independent restaurants and shop at the ethnic markets. I bike and take public transportation. I take free Korean classes at the public library. We use the parks and playgrounds.

If you're in the city and not making use of the city, maybe you shouldn't be paying for it.
12704765, Old homes can be expensive and difficult
Posted by ndibs, Wed Jan-21-15 04:59 PM
To get to the point where they have the amenities and energy efficiency of a new home. The homes in my area once renovated are no doubt more expensive than west omaha homes. Someone renovated an arts and crafts style house here on a corner. They had a construction crew there everyday for 6 months. I can't imagine what that costs. My cousin liked the smaller older homes in this neighborhood, but the $ investment for fixing things up put everything over her budget.
12704147, s p a c e.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jan-21-15 11:43 AM
12704651, People are moving from the NE to Charlotte...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 04:06 PM
but it ain't really Charlotte. They move an hour from Charlotte in the middle of nowhere in a big ass house and then say "Charlotte's boring"

well, it's because you don't live in Charlotte.
12704135, i'm afraid ATL, LA, and Houston might be the models.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jan-21-15 11:37 AM
ever-expanding suburbia. w/more edge cities.

i hope not though.
12704614, why do you keep claiming there is nothing in the Suburbs
Posted by astralblak, Wed Jan-21-15 03:50 PM
Why?

I use to think you meant culture: Music venues; Quality museums and art galleries; niche or varied food choices; boutique clothign stores; high-quality eye candy; access to transportation that does not require a car

Suburbs wont have that...

but you aren't speaking of this, you are speaking of simple shit like housing and amenities.

All SoCal suburbs have malls, a Chilis, a BJs, a YardHouse, a quality Mexican food spot, a quality Indian food spot, a hardware store, a gun range, a BNN

so a family of 3-4 best be living in the Burbs and not a city if they aint making that 100k singular or together. It would be a fucn mistake. 800 square foot apartment for $1500, or a three bedroom house with a lawn and front backyard for $1250

i've lived in all three City, Rural, Burbs, they all have their positives and negatives.

12704773, Lol.
Posted by ndibs, Wed Jan-21-15 05:06 PM

>All SoCal suburbs have

Not a gotdamn thing I'm interested in...

malls, a Chilis, a BJs, a YardHouse, a
>quality Mexican food spot, a quality Indian food spot, a
>hardware store, a gun range, a BNN

So they're basically like all suburbs.
12704835, no shit. that's the point tho
Posted by astralblak, Wed Jan-21-15 05:37 PM
John keeps saying its the sticks, they're not. it's a very sterile form of modern life, it's not a got to drive an hour to get some milk
12705479, there's definitely shit in the suburbs
Posted by John Forte, Thu Jan-22-15 11:04 AM
you just have to drive a ways to get to it, and it's usually nothing of worth. Although, the burbs DO have good supermarkets.
12704957, something bad happened to him in the suburbs...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 07:08 PM

12704057, Anywhere that there is no diversity and middle to low income is a bad idea
Posted by GHNO, Wed Jan-21-15 11:09 AM
regardless of the racial makeup....

but yeah...
this old news.
12704064, See: Clayton County, GA
Posted by Overqualified, Wed Jan-21-15 11:11 AM
12705065, and Douglas/Southwest Fulton area
Posted by Lach, Wed Jan-21-15 09:09 PM
12704072, they're only telling half the story of where the white folks are going.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jan-21-15 11:13 AM
b/c they're not just filling up the inner cities. they're also pushing even further out into the boonies.

like in STL. the slumburbs thing is real in North St. Louis County (see: Ferguson and Berkeley). and some parts of the city are gentrifying w/white influx. but the western communities in St. Charles County are also gaining in population. parts of St. Charles County that were farmland and prairie 10 yrs ago are now full of strip malls and townhome developments and detached single family home subdivisions. the state has built 2 new bridges across the Missouri River to increase access out there. it's exploding - and faster than the city is being gentrified, i suspect.

i wonder where else that's going on.
12704120, Yep
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jan-21-15 11:29 AM
>like in STL. the slumburbs thing is real in North St. Louis
>County (see: Ferguson and Berkeley). and some parts of the
>city are gentrifying w/white influx. but the western
>communities in St. Charles County are also gaining in
>population. parts of St. Charles County that were farmland
>and prairie 10 yrs ago are now full of strip malls and
>townhome developments and detached single family home
>subdivisions. the state has built 2 new bridges across the
>Missouri River to increase access out there. it's exploding -
>and faster than the city is being gentrified, i suspect.
>
>i wonder where else that's going on.

places no one would have ever thought would be "home"
torn away to make circles of beige houses
12704159, ^^^ excellent quote
Posted by poetx, Wed Jan-21-15 11:50 AM

>places no one would have ever thought would be "home"
>torn away to make circles of beige houses
>

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
12704165, yea it's really about whites grabbing up new development
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Jan-21-15 11:52 AM
whether that be in the city
or 15 miles outside in new subdivisions
12704625, true
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jan-21-15 03:55 PM
i'm thinking about detroit
and areas of upstate where folks bought farms

there mainly this avoidance of the suburbs thing going on
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
12704739, Here it is a continuation of white flight
Posted by ndibs, Wed Jan-21-15 04:50 PM
And also a lot people don't have an appreciation for the older homes in the gentrifying areas. My cousins both bought houses near 170th street in the last year. I grew up on 95th which was an area that was mostly farmland when we first moved there and considered the western edge of town (in fact it was a suburb). Now 170th street is omaha.

12705077, this is the DFW area
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Wed Jan-21-15 09:47 PM
people just moving further and further out

its just so much cheaper and you get so much more
12705485, yea, it's like sandwiches with layers added on sometimes
Posted by MiracleRic, Thu Jan-22-15 11:08 AM
metro cities are becoming more expensive and pushing us coloreds out to the suburbs without addressing some of the issues that was plaguing us in the cities...add class divides to that bc those that made the jump early got raped by the housing bubble...the late-comers were pushed rather than looking for new oppurtunities...all the while...some of the things the early nigga-colonists tried to escape followed them...

while all this was happening...the dev companies were bathing in money while everyone else took most of the hit for the bubble bursting while yt went full gentrification mode or held on to their pockets of affluent suburbia and tried to insulate themselves from the economic shittiness...

and the ones that didn't reverse white flight back into the city often pushed further out into what was once no man's land...i know way more people living in W Va or commuting from some flyover area with mad land back home...it seems miserable to me but people are definitely making the most out of it somehow
12704086, It's happening in Philly
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Wed Jan-21-15 11:18 AM
More poor people moving out to the Delaware County burbs because the rents are too high in their old neighborhoods.
12704124, key sentence
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jan-21-15 11:32 AM
>That's the theory behind "slumburbia," the notion that the
>*****dark***** conditions that once characterized the Inner City are
>following minorities as they pursue the American Dream to the
>suburbs.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12704126, STAY WOKE
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jan-21-15 11:33 AM
12704166, Right here (Im in Detroit)
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Wed Jan-21-15 11:52 AM
I struggle with this notion
People didnt have the "foresight" to see this coming.

In cities such as Southfield, Oak Park, Royal Oak etc the rents started getting cheaper and landlords started accepting Section 8 as well.

In my area most of those folks that moved are Black so it contributes to the stereotype that when Blacks move in the property value goes down and the area because a "ghetto" as opposed to benign neglect. There is this idea that Southern Oakland County is now "North Detroit" with all the issues the city has.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_neglect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_shrinkage
When you marry, your credit report stays the same. The only information on both spouses’ reports are joint accounts or those for which one spouse is an authorized user.
12704638, i dont know what to compare it to
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jan-21-15 03:59 PM
one group of people with the resources and the gov't backing to make things happen
another group with less resources and govt opposition

its hard to describe this to people
living in a gentrified area
its so damn hard to explain this to people
its not "they dont care" its NO ONE LISTENED
~~~~
~~~~
12704664, Oh I refuse to have this discussion any
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Wed Jan-21-15 04:11 PM
on other city related forums especially with NEWBIES

People DO NOT GET IT

Its all well "why didnt the residents clean up, why didnt the residents do this and that blah blah".

The Byzantine bureaucratic mess that is/was Detroit.

I wont even get into that city computers were on Windows ME or XP. . .in 2014

12704758, yes yes yes!
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jan-21-15 04:56 PM
>on other city related forums especially with NEWBIES
>
>People DO NOT GET IT
>
>Its all well "why didnt the residents clean up, why didnt the
>residents do this and that blah blah".
>
>The Byzantine bureaucratic mess that is/was Detroit.
>
>I wont even get into that city computers were on Windows ME or
>XP. . .in 2014

THIS

~~~~
~~~~
12704767, LIES AND MENDACITY
Posted by Mongo, Wed Jan-21-15 05:01 PM

>I wont even get into that city computers were on Windows ME or
>XP. . .in 2014
>
>

THERE IS NOT NOW NOR WAS THERE EVER A 'WINDOWS ME'

I REFUSE

NO

UNICORNS FIRST
12705461, LOL I promise it exists
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Thu Jan-22-15 10:50 AM
I will take a pic next time I go to city county building
Im there all the time doing my research
When you marry, your credit report stays the same. The only information on both spouses’ reports are joint accounts or those for which one spouse is an authorized user.
12704168, hilarious. my parents live in the inland empire
Posted by double negative, Wed Jan-21-15 11:53 AM
i totally hate it out there

but

its quiet as hell and Im seeing black/poor families thrive in ways not seen in the city
12704626, my family live in it's twin to the North, the Antelope Valley
Posted by astralblak, Wed Jan-21-15 03:55 PM
and it's true. Black and Brown are mostly chilling and surviving in ways that would be impossible in Los Angeles proper
12704647, fascinating
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jan-21-15 04:02 PM

~~~~
~~~~
12704703, aka Spring Valley
Posted by Mongo, Wed Jan-21-15 04:31 PM
12705514, RE: Minorities and the 'Slumburbs' *swipe*
Posted by double 0, Thu Jan-22-15 11:21 AM
Sounds like the Poconos