Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectis paying a festival price just to see one band/artist some simp shit?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12703814
12703814, is paying a festival price just to see one band/artist some simp shit?
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
so yeah Tame impala is coming to atlanta, as part of this festival:

http://www.songkick.com/festivals/625034-shaky-knees/id/22612433-shaky-knees-festival-2015

http://shakykneesfestival.com/

i really only want to see them and kinda james blake

now the cheapest thing they will be offering is single day tickets for 99 bux, so thats basically paying 100 dollars to see one band's set

i really really want to see them tho and they dont come thru the A much

ima bite the bullet methinks, i will probably end up liking some other bands there too hopefully

interesting venue choice too, mad because i used to live literally a block over from the park where they are having it

Poll question: is paying a festival price just to see one band/artist some simp shit?

Poll result (7 votes)
yes (0 votes)Vote
naw, thats what live music lovers DO! (0 votes)Vote
naw, it aint simping if you got it (1 votes)Vote
depends on which band/artsits (0 votes)Vote
do it, you'll probably end up introducing urself to other great music (6 votes)Vote
white (0 votes)Vote

12703816, IMO yes because the set will be short, atmosphere watered down
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-21-15 08:20 AM
versus seeing them at their own show for less money.
12703825, yeah this is my concern, less likely to hear the songs i really
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 08:34 AM
wanna hear too, tame impala hasnt been here since june 2013 tho....and besides this festival doesnt seem they will be coming here anytime soon either
12703830, it depends on two things i think
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-21-15 08:40 AM
1) if you wanna see this band badly enough to see them here and then the next time they come to town on tour.

2) if you have the time/interest to see a good number of acts at this festival. you might find some new shit you like, in which case it would be well worth the effort, money, etc
12703819, Only worth it if you're open to the other bands as well.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Wed Jan-21-15 08:24 AM
Make it more about hearing some new shit with Tame Impala as the icing.
12703827, yeah i think this is the only mentality to have to make it not a waste
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 08:36 AM
ive gone to festivals before where i wanted to see like 4-5 of the performers and then ended up being put onto some other great acts so hopefully this will work out this way

im just so-so about it because i really only want to see them out of about 20-30 different bands in this festival
12703878, The whole point of a festival is to see a bunch of different acts
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 09:25 AM
if you are only going to see them and dip right after it's foolish...

but if you spend all day out there you won't feel cheated.

12703903, If you love that one band and can afford it why not?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Jan-21-15 09:44 AM
12703950, That lineup is loaded.
Posted by Frank Mackey, Wed Jan-21-15 10:15 AM
Hopefully is doesn't rain the whole time like last year.
12703969, who else is doing psychedelic music as good as them?
Posted by MEAT, Wed Jan-21-15 10:24 AM
12704018, i like temples a lot too
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 10:46 AM
12704074, Eternal Tapestry, Wooden Shjips, Birds of Maya, Olivia Tremor Control,
Posted by JayEmm, Wed Jan-21-15 11:14 AM
White Hills, Acid Mothers Temple, etc

that Shaky Knees Festival is LOADED, too
I'd go for Spiritualized and Neutral Milk Hotel alone
12703984, Do you dislike the other acts, or do you just not know them?
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jan-21-15 10:30 AM
There are some really great bands on that bill. I'm sure you'll discover some really good music. I'd go for just the left column.
12704016, just don't kno them, I tried some tv on the radio years back and didn't
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 10:45 AM
Quite "connect" I hope they are on the same day as tame so I can give them another try
12704021, they are decent live, i saw them a couple times
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-21-15 10:50 AM
i tried hard to get into their studio stuff and while i liked some of it, it just didn't move me (c) mistermaxxx. live show was about the same but i mean if they were playing in my backyard, i certainly wouldn't close the curtain. so getting to see them for the same price, i'd stay and check them out for sure.
12704028, yeah with me, outside of hip hop and r&ab/soul, I get exposed to stuff
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 10:53 AM
Randomly, tv shows, Okp, pandora from artists I already know, I don't seek this music out, but I LOVE tame impala. I don't assume I'll like every band from that genre tho or similar
12704029, saw them in Philly at a Church when they first came out.. $10
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 10:53 AM
12704032, Go. You'll have fun
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jan-21-15 10:54 AM
I wasn't moved by TV On The Radio right away, but I heard the wrong songs first. Here are a couple of their more accessible tracks:

Crying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhaJuKpxxk
Wolf Like Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-xRk6llh4
Blues From Down Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9I3ul8z7A
12703990, So far, Shaky Knees has the BEST lineup IMO
Posted by ChampAreno, Wed Jan-21-15 10:34 AM
If you go for one day and it's the day that Tame is playing, you'll almost certainly enjoy yourself and it'll be well worth the $99 price tag.
12704015, dude there's at least fifteen acts up there that do some form of trippy
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Wed Jan-21-15 10:45 AM
awesome shit just like Impala.

If you're really not that interested, double check that they won't be doing any other additional acts while they're in town.

Chances are they're prolly gonna pop up closer to festival time but yeah don't shell out those kind of funds for one act.

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12704022, Really good point!
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 10:50 AM
I think I will still do the one day but Hopefully they do something else around town so i could get more

>If you're really not that interested, double check that they
>won't be doing any other additional acts while they're in
>town.
>
>Chances are they're prolly gonna pop up closer to festival
>time but yeah don't shell out those kind of funds for one
>act.
>
>

12704027, trust me, I feel your pain.
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Wed Jan-21-15 10:53 AM
for the longest while, Ticketmaster only had FlyLo's at Terminal 5 listed but I knew there would have to be at least one more show cuz that venue sucks and was wayyy too deep in the city for me. I had to camp out on that site for a minute before finally a BK show popped up at the last minute.

I.was.so.happy.

So yeah thug it out and hopefully check out some new music on the way :)

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12704044, It's a great way to get introduced to new music
Posted by bentagain, Wed Jan-21-15 11:02 AM
If Tame Impala is the reason you want to go

is $100 really that big of a difference

in going to some off brand show

with an a$$ juice band as their opener

or going to a festival

with some polished live performers and top notch acts

you'd probably pay between $30-$50 to see them on their own tour anyway

I do a festival a year and I'm always blown away by somebody I wouldn't have otherwise been checking for

= worth the $$$, IMO.
12704209, depends on how bad you wanna see said artist
Posted by J_Sun, Wed Jan-21-15 12:17 PM
I went to The Roots picnic one year just to see Public Enemy perform "It Takes a Nation..." backed by The Roots. Not that I was opposed to seeing the other acts, but the show was like 9 days after my first son was born. I just went to see PE then I left and it was totally worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common
12704213, it's tame impala ....not sade
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Jan-21-15 12:23 PM
they'll be around
you said they were last in town in '13
2 yrs ain't that long to wait and maybe he'll have some more music out by there

also traveling for shows is cool
make a trip out of it
12704283, 2 years is a long ass time to see a band
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 12:58 PM
that you could see in a few weeks.
12704314, then pay the money if you're that pressed
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Jan-21-15 01:17 PM
12704376, lol ur ridiculous
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 01:59 PM
The traveling for a show is a good/fun idea tho. They will be in New York in June but I'm going to Nyc in March and it wouldn't suck to be able to see them right here in the A
12704233, no...ultimately it's your money and you can spend it however
Posted by gumz, Wed Jan-21-15 12:39 PM
you please...it'd be a waste if you just went and dipped right after that band though. might as well make a day or night of it.
12704260, not here to name call
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-21-15 12:50 PM
i know there are people who do this, but i hope you enjoy some of the other acts. i used to love festivals. here are some thoughts:

Pixies - i would definitely like to see them
Interpol - saw them live at a festival a decade ago, not into their music much, but they were good
Wilco - same as above
TV On the Radio - good live, it's been a few years now since i last saw them so would definitely be interested
Ryan Adams - every time i hear a song from his recent self-titled album i'm mad at how good it is, i would definitely catch this set
Flogging Molly - probably fun
Social Distortion - not sure after their guitarist died, but maybe
Dr. Dog - i saw them at a festival and wasn't into it, but i am in the minority there
Old Crow Medicine Show - would definitely catch
Black Lips - likewise
Neutral Milk Hotel - a must see
Mastodon - same
Panda Bear - i guess
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - yep
Tennis - sure
The Mountain Goats - yes
Built to Spill - definitely
Spiritualized - seen live and enjoyed, would see again for sure
Death from Above 1979 - they were ok live before they broke up, wouldn't go out of my way to see them again
Heartless Bastards - would go
Old 97's - yes
Ásgeir - just heard them (him?) for the first time the other day, dug it
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - oh yes
The Both (Aimee Mann & Ted Leo) - yeppers

not $99 worth *to me,* but if i went, i'd have plenty to entertain me... have a good time
12704288, that wouldn't be worth it to me...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 01:01 PM
now, there may be 10 bands on there who play stuff I would dig but if just 1 band plays shitty music for 40 minutes... I'm going to be upset/feel robbed.

Are there multiple stages?

I guess this is why I never did the festival thing.
12704306, that isn't the complete list, i edited out a bunch
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-21-15 01:12 PM
if i saw the complete lineup, i wouldn't be tempted to buy tickets. the lineup isn't where my tastes are currently. still, i know i would have a good time if i did go.

>Are there multiple stages?

yes, you wouldn't be forced to see a set you didn't like, i would bet there are even more than 2 stages
12704362, I could do it if I had options...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jan-21-15 01:53 PM
but I couldn't do a festival where I had to sit through 2 or 3 shitty bands to get to a good one.

12704381, it's all relative
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-21-15 02:02 PM
to taste obviously but also to attitude. if you aren't expecting to be wowed, just open to the possibility, it's fun. most festivals are designed so that you can walk to different tents and stages with live music on at the same time so you can pick what you want to hear. actually the best designed ones i've seen didn't give the choice, there were 2 stages and alternating so that there was minimum downtime between performers, but that's because the lineups were so right for me. i've gone to other festivals where there were scheduling conflicts and i wanted to see more than one performance going on at the same time, which sucks because i paid to see both but have to sacrifice one, and then there are parts of the day where there isn't anything i must see. it's one reason i don't go to festivals like i used to. the lineups are less to my taste than they were in the '90s and early '00s, but the main performers i want to see are pitted against each other on the schedule at different stages.
12704356, i did that to see Kast at Counterpoint last year
Posted by Jay Doz, Wed Jan-21-15 01:50 PM
i left before they event went on stage
12704369, lolol :-( I think they were performing with their with a lot of non hip hop
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 01:57 PM
Acts, iirc, so it's like which of these do not belong lol but from what folks in here are saying bands on this shaky knees line up have "complimentary" sounds to tame impala so I might be ok
12704373, what does simp mean?
Posted by Deadzombie, Wed Jan-21-15 01:58 PM
i thought i knew, but i don't think i do anymore.
12704412, Striving Infinately Meaningful Purpose
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Jan-21-15 02:22 PM
12704478, I will probably pay the $60 Sweet 420 fest tick for Thievery Corp
Posted by Allah, Wed Jan-21-15 02:59 PM
Probably so. Snoop Dogg is supposed to be there too, and the Wailers, but I would be mainly going for Thievery Corporation
12704690, they are very good live
Posted by howisya, Wed Jan-21-15 04:27 PM
i saw them at a FREE festival a few years back
12704512, it's some gems on that list though
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Jan-21-15 03:11 PM
i'm torn though...

i voted it aint simpin if u got it...

cause if you only kinda got it...u better off waiting to see if they do more intimate shows closer to the date or even hitting up their management to see when/if they are going tour around it all

but the festival itself might still be a dope as an exposure to some new shit...their set is likely to leave u disappointed in that type of environment though so i would go only if you really open to peep the other shit

but if u aint trippin over price...have your cake...eat it...and put the top layer in the freezer for later...fuck it