Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI don't think they were saying they're equal..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12702483&mesg_id=12702717
12702717, I don't think they were saying they're equal..
Posted by Lardlad95, Tue Jan-20-15 12:29 AM
It's that our perspectives on the two are completely black and white, and even benignly suggesting that like those two did gets people blowing up in your face.

I'm not saying that FGM is ever a good thing, but it's classified as 4 types of procedures that grow in level of severity...but the first level, a clitoridectomy can sometimes be medically necessary. And just like male circumcision doesn't remove most of the penis, a clitoridectomy doesn't remove the entire clitoris, just the visible part. All of it is classified of Genital Mutilation, even the one procedure that can sometimes be medically necessary.

Now, no I didn't say this because I want people to think men have it harder. Yes, I think FGM is a terrible practice that needs to be eradicated. And by and large I agree with your sentiments.

I really only replied this way because I think you were being unfair to them. It shouldn't be wrong to suggest that male circumcision isn't a cut and dry issue or entirely benign just because the issue with the opposite gender is so heinous.

It's fun to make fun of people who complain about problems that are small relative to more pressing problems, but it isn't a terribly practical way to go about dealing with people.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard