Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Why the desire to make it a binary choice?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12701051&mesg_id=12702230
12702230, RE: Why the desire to make it a binary choice?
Posted by initiationofplato, Mon Jan-19-15 10:53 AM
>Nature and Nurture aren't mutually exclusive, as far as I can
>work out. It's not an either/or choice. Both come into play in
>most areas of human life.
>

I agree, both come into play. My argument is that "Nature" is not exclusively responsible for providing individuals with "special aptitude" other's do not have.

>Lots of people have talent, but don't nurture it. Conversely,
>lots of people spend a great deal of time and effort
>overcoming their lack of natural talent. But anyone that's
>ever been a child surrounded by other children *knows* that we
>all have different leanings, different strengths and different
>weaknesses out of the box. People are born with varying
>genetic susceptibilities to the spectrum of mental illnesses,
>varying intelligences and varying, well, everything.

I would say that many human beings differ in character. Those whom are willing to work hard at something, and overcome the countless roadblocks are people that will ultimately be accredited to "natural talent" when it was their hard work and perseverance that pulled them through. Looking at someone accomplished and telling yourself that they are "talented" is a quick and easy way to make yourself feel better about the lack of accomplishment in your own life. Simply by saying, "well, they were born with it", you throw away the responsibility for the self. It is definitely the easy way out.

>
>Even in the most rigid societies individuals are individuals.
>Nurture certainly comes into play, but saying it's the ONLY
>thing is pretty willfully ignorant.

As long as you have a healthy body and mind, anything is possible. Even if you do not, you still have a shot. Just take a look at Stephen Hawking. Nature gave him the short end of the stick, but his mind and spirit persevered and he was able to write his name in the history books. The human will is stronger than the body.