Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMarvel is releasing 2 limited edition Run the Jewels covers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12700916
12700916, Marvel is releasing 2 limited edition Run the Jewels covers
Posted by bwood, Fri Jan-16-15 01:20 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-two-new-marvel-comics-covers-paying-tribute-to-run-the-jewels-20150116

Run the Jewels, the hard-hitting duo behind the most critically acclaimed hip-hop record of 2014, have inspired two upcoming covers of Marvel Comics titles. Issue 45 of Deadpool and Issue Two of Howard the Duck will both have variant covers that feature the group's fist-and-gun logo.

"We didn't know it was happening," RTJ's El-P tells Rolling Stone. "We just got told it was happening and we were like, 'You can’t be serious, that's not possible, how is that even possible?' Then they showed us the covers. And it's fucking crazy."

"I knew it was happening potentially," corrects Killer Mike, whose management had a conversation with Marvel, "but when it came all the way through, I was dancing around the room in my Polo underwear."
Run the Jewels

The organic homage came from the top down, from Marvel editor-in-chief and hip-hop fan Axel Alonso. He was aware of the worldwide "tag the jewels" movement where graffiti artists threw up explosive spraypaint fan art, but got the idea for the comics covers after watching his son in a game of football.

"He caught a touchdown pass that won the game. And on the sidelines, he took off his glove and he pointed at it and his friends were going "Run them jewels fast," Alonso tells RS, quoting the chorus to RTJ's "Close Your Eyes (and Count to Fuck)." "Seeing the way that my 11-year-old son and his friends were improv-ing off of this really vibrant, iconic image. . .It got me thinking. If you've got this movement around the world from Bangladesh to Taiwan, people are doing their interpretations of this logo, and I got these roughnecks doing it on the sideline of a football game. . .Maybe Marvel could weight in on this and have some fun."

Alonso contacted comic artists Mahmud Asrar (for Howard the Duck) and Skottie Young (for Deadpool) and says, "They couldn't say 'yes' quick enough.

"We've done homages to album covers in the past, of iconic rock bands and hip-hop bands, but this is something a little different," says Alonso. "This is very much picking up on something that's of the moment, and a logo that I think says a lot to a lot of different people."

Both members of Run the Jewels are comics fans: Killer Mike grew up reading X-Men and Spawn; and El-P was "obsessed with" X-Men, The New Mutants and Spider-Man (not to mention a streak toward indie artists like Robert Crumb and graphic novelists like Frank Miller).

"Comic books are a part of the creative world of a kid in an urban environment," says El. "You might not admit it on record, but you talk to almost every rapper — we all grew up with that shit. I guarantee you like 80 percent of any rappers that you meet probably went through a large comic book phase."

"Just being perceived as a quote-unquote urban artist, you never get to embellish that part," adds Mike, "so I haven't been as visible on that side. But anybody who follows me on Instagram knows I'm a thirtysomething-year-old child. I play with toys, comics, that type of shit, so this is like a very big deal for me.

"I grew up reading comics with my dad — my stepdad, but I don't use that word — he let me just have his comic collection. So this is a very big deal for me, man," adds Mike. "I look forward to when this shit drops, taking him up and driving him to the comics store in North Dekalb, just to let him get out and not even tell him that it's going down. I know he's gonna be so proud he could fuckin' cry, bruh."

Beyond the Marvel Universe, El-P is expecting a 2015 release for Meow the Jewels, the Kickstarter-funded charity release of Run the Jewels 2 made with cat sounds. "The money is going to where we want it to be going, it's in process now," he says. "Now it's just a matter of getting off the road for a little bit and putting the record together. We've got a lot of cat sounds to collect."

Run the Jewels are going to hit Madison Square Garden with Jack White on January 30th, both weekends of Coachella in April and Bonnaroo in June. They’re working out the details of their Coachella performance, but they expect it to be the first time they play "Crown," the emotional climax of Run the Jewels 2 which speaks frankly about Killer Mike's brief period selling drugs in high school.

"We were holding it for something big," says Mike.

"And also for when we knew that we had memorized it," says El.

12700918, I only like a few tracks but I LOVE their come-up/the respect given
Posted by CherNic, Fri Jan-16-15 01:23 PM
12700941, I never heard any of their music as a group How'd the duo form
Posted by illEskoBar221, Fri Jan-16-15 01:36 PM
I see people talk a lot about them on the interwebs
I think its dope the killer mike is doing his thing
El-p too. But how in the hell did they link up?
12700967, El produced Mike's R.A.P Music album in 2012
Posted by CherNic, Fri Jan-16-15 01:51 PM
Then Mike rapped on a track on El's record. The first RTJ came out in 2013 and it got buzz but this 2014 RTJ2 run has been incredible
12701094, R.A.P. is better
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-16-15 03:01 PM
than both run the jewels.

that wasn't related to anything you said, but yeah.

glad Mike is getting some shine tho.
12701099, i think its better than the first RTJ, not the 2nd...
Posted by guru0509, Fri Jan-16-15 03:06 PM
12701142, not sure what it is,
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-16-15 03:28 PM
but I've only listened once to rtj2. it didn't grab me at all.
12701159, R.A.P.>RTJ>RTJ2
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-16-15 03:35 PM
I try to listen to RTJ2 but it's too noisy. It reminds me of Company Flow's vibe... dope lyrics but production gets in the way.
12701223, RE: R.A.P.>RTJ>RTJ2
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Jan-16-15 04:12 PM
that's my same order.

>I try to listen to RTJ2 but it's too noisy. It reminds me of
>Company Flow's vibe... dope lyrics but production gets in the
>way.

maybe that's it. there's no chill on rtj2 beats.
12701319, I thought the same, never heard the 1st RTJ, but R.A.P. is better
Posted by Grand_Royal, Fri Jan-16-15 06:28 PM
than RTJ2 imo
12701002, An exec from the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim introduced them
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jan-16-15 02:10 PM
They were both cool with Jason DeMarco, who ran Adult's Swim record label; Killer Mike was already going to release his album through them. DeMarco linked Mike up with El-P and the rest is history.
12700930, dope
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-16-15 01:29 PM
12700984, That's got to be one of the coolest feelings to ever have...
Posted by Mongo, Fri Jan-16-15 02:00 PM
El-P and Killer Mike have been grinding for over a decade. This kind of mainstream embrace has to feel so good at the end of the day.
12701083, I want that DEADPOOL/THANOS Run The Jewels on a teeshirt
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Jan-16-15 02:55 PM
Right now damnit.
12701236, I'd rock it until the shit was faded with holes in it...
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Fri Jan-16-15 04:20 PM

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12701095, That's what's up... I did a LOVE tribute last month, paying homage (link...)
Posted by Walk On, Fri Jan-16-15 03:02 PM
http://instagram.com/p/wPDjqJKCKT/
12701154, It's a trap! Remember the 90's!?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Fri Jan-16-15 03:35 PM
12701165, saw these earlier
Posted by Zion3Lion, Fri Jan-16-15 03:38 PM
very dope
12701234, this is so goddamned awesome.
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Fri Jan-16-15 04:19 PM
I haven't bought a comic book since Clinton was in office. I may just pick these two up just on the strength.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12701265, I think it's kinda lame.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Fri Jan-16-15 04:38 PM
I mean, the Rocket Raccoon one is okay but the Deadpool cover is just a Julian Lytle ripoff.

12701344, Shoutout to OKP buckshot_defunct - hes been doing this same thing
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Jan-16-15 07:11 PM
For like a while.
12701420, This is pretty cool...
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Jan-16-15 11:18 PM
12702721, how do i get one of these? gotta pre-order or something?
Posted by Playa_Politician, Tue Jan-20-15 12:48 AM
that howard the duck one will make a great gift.
12702773, They're gonna announce that soon. Rumored release is April. NM
Posted by bwood, Tue Jan-20-15 08:46 AM
12702778, Really, really awesome.
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Jan-20-15 08:54 AM