Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOKP Fatties & junk food aficionados: The Oreo Burger (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12700545
12700545, OKP Fatties & junk food aficionados: The Oreo Burger (swipe)
Posted by Marbles, Fri Jan-16-15 10:42 AM
As much as I love Oreo cookies, I don't know if an Oreo hamburger sounds too good to me. I think I'd try the parmesan crusted burger out of any on the list (the list is at the very end for any TL/DR cats).

http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/general/ready-to-try-an-oreo-burger-at-the-florida-state-fair-cast-your-vote-now/2213932

TAMPA — Hamburgers and Oreos haven't had much in common beyond the sandwich thing. But all that could change.

The same people who brought us the Krispy Kreme Burger are proposing another dangerous concoction for this year's Florida State Fair: a burger deep fried in Oreo batter.

And then topped with bacon.

The sweet and salty mega-caloric invention is one of five burger concepts created by Carousel Foods competing for a featured spot at the fair. The judges? The burger-eating public.

Sadly, votes must be cast online at FloridaStateFair.com by Wednesday at midnight, without benefit of actual tasting. The votes will be tallied next week, and the top two will be added to Carousel Foods' menu as People's Choice Burgers for the duration of the fair, which runs Feb. 5-16.

For a fair that prides itself on all manner of deep-fried improbabilities, the rest of the burger contenders aren't all that outlandish. Also in the running are a jalapeno-encrusted burger; another coated in Parmesan; a Holiday Burger topped with stuffing, sweet potato fries and a cranberry orange marmalade; and the audaciously named Burger of the Gods, bearing Brie, bacon and apple-maple compote.

"The crazier it is, the more people want to try it," said Cheryl Reas, 51, of Corydon, Ind., co-owner of Carousel Foods with her husband, brother and sister-in-law.

One of 210 food vendors this year at the fair, Carousel made a name for itself years ago with its Krispy Kreme burger, which substitutes two doughnuts for the usual buns. It's their best-selling burger, Reas said.

She's predicting another sweet-salty mix could join the lineup.

"I almost think one of them will be the Oreo just because it's different, it's crazy enough," Reas said.

One of Tampa Bay's top masters of both burgers and haute cuisine agrees it's a unique concept.

"That's definitely pushing the envelope as far as being crazy," said Chris Ponte, owner of Clearwater's Cafe Ponte and designer of the original menu for Burger 21. "You kind of get a sweet, salty flavor. I think it could potentially be a great burger."

Ponte likened it to an Asian-inspired burger made with peanut butter.

''They all sound great in their own ways," he said of the five options. "I kind of like a burger that'd been thought out."

But, he said, he doesn't expect the Oreo creation or the Burger of the Gods to win. Brie isn't a strong enough cheese to stand up against red meat, he said.

The chef favored the Parmesan and Holiday burgers, though he suggested the Holiday be a turkey burger to really accentuate the Thanksgiving theme.

Reas' family sells burgers at state fairs all over the country. They've been coming to Florida since around 1980, she said. But theirs has been a family business since the 1930s when her grandfather started selling food at fairs during the Depression.

When the fair season ends in October, Reas and her husband, Dennis, spend the winter brainstorming new combinations.

"My husband will sit and watch the Food Network and he'll watch the burger shows'' for inspiration, she said.

Because Florida kicks off the national state fair season, Floridians get the first whiff of vendors' freshly crafted menus, noted Terry Longphee, Florida State Fair Authority sales and marketing director.

Items that tank in Florida may not make it to the next state's fair, while the hits will most likely continue on the fair circuit.

"I think it's a badge of honor, so to speak, that we get to debut the new unique fair foods," said markLongphee said.

THE BURGERS

Vote for the burger that sounds best to you at floridaStateFair.com by Wednesday at midnight.

Burger of the Gods: topped with brie, bacon, and an apple maple compote

Deep Fried Oreo Burger: fried on the griddle then dredged through Oreo cookie batter and deep fried. Add bacon, glaze and crumbled Oreos

Holiday Burger: topped with Havarti cheese, bacon, stuffing, sweet potato fries and a cranberry-orange marmalade sauce on a toasted bun

Jalapeno Crusted Burger: twice fried and coated with a corn chip and jalapeno mix until crispy. Then topped with shredded Mexican-style cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream

Parmesan Crusted Burger: twice fried and coated with a potato chip and Parmesan/Romano cheese mixture until crispy. Then topped with bacon and a Parmesan mayonnaise sauce
12700557, at first i was like nah then i read the description
Posted by latenitemix, Fri Jan-16-15 10:50 AM
yes please
i'd try it at the very least
12700558, carousel foods did not invent the KK burger
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Jan-16-15 10:50 AM
The krispy kreme burger was invented at Mulligans in Decatur GA
12700580, what is Oreo batter??
Posted by Calico, Fri Jan-16-15 10:57 AM
12700606, melted cookies and cream ice cream
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Jan-16-15 11:06 AM
Thats a jest...i have no idea
12700611, people just thinking up new ways to kill themselves....
Posted by Calico, Fri Jan-16-15 11:08 AM
i still haven't had "the luther" yet....closest i'll come to something like that is having pineapples on my sammich
12700921, i need 1 Luther and 1 Hamdog. no more, no less.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Jan-16-15 01:24 PM
12700914, and that will be yo ass!!! (if you eat one of those)
Posted by Allah, Fri Jan-16-15 01:19 PM