Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: D'angelo & The Vanguard Black Messiah.. a month later after release
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12699768&mesg_id=12700043
12700043, RE: D'angelo & The Vanguard Black Messiah.. a month later after release
Posted by Creole, Thu Jan-15-15 03:22 PM
>Thoughts ? Ridiculous piece of work IMO.

>favourite tracks? My favorite track(s) changes with each spin. All in all, I can say that I really have no favorite. It's just a complete piece of work.

>was it worth the wait? Yes. I think it was in The Lesson where someone said that it seems like an effortless progression from Voodoo. IMO, it is so good that I really don't even consider the wait. It's almost as if it didn't happen even though I know it did.

>does it fill that missing void? Per what I said above, I would say that it does.

I bammed out to this on a recent roadtrip to Hampton, VA and back up the Eastern Shore of VA and MD. The singing was complimentary to instruments. It's nowhere near overpowering from a vocal perspective. The musicianship is primary to me. The music is Coltrane on the sax while the singing is the guy in the back on the glockenspiel. JK... You get the gist though.