Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTech Talk: Wearables = LOL + SMH
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12699702&mesg_id=12699702
12699702, Tech Talk: Wearables = LOL + SMH
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jan-15-15 11:59 AM
SO I got this LG Android Watch for Christmas. I figure it's kind of a prototype for an Apple product that will eventually launch this year. That is, I am sure that the Apple product will be more feature laden, better designed, more polished but functionally very similar.

I see one very convenient feature about this watch. When I get an incoming notification. I can conveniently glance at my wrist instead of fish around in my pocket.

Other than that I haven't seen anything that could possibly represent a killer app (fitness monitor? phone remote control?)

That's a worthwhile feature and I am pretty sure at some point in the near future it will be possible to tether all digital watches to your phone and get a similar convenience.

I also think wearables will be ubiquitous in the near future, but I don't think they are game changers. Extensions of your phone, but not a whole new category in and of themselves.

If you have way following CES though folks would have you think that wearables such as watches are the next Big Thing like smartphones were.

I don't buy it.

I heard someone else say it but we have probably underestimated the impact of smartphones and they are one of those once in a life game changers so we shouldn't expect anything with nearly that impact anytime soon. Kinda sucks for Apple which is expected to drop products like that every other quarter but oh well. I am sure the cool kids will gobble up the Apple watch when it comes out as status symbol accessory but I don't think it will be an indispensable way of life though.

My prediction: Bigger deal than 3D TVs. Less of a big deal then tablets.

Thoughts?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/