Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI have a career question.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12697779
12697779, I have a career question.
Posted by MizClayton, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
JOB 1: So basically, I just got this new job as a Product Manager for a small software development company. I love it so far. It's work from home. So far it's really intense as far as work load, but I'm loving the challenge and learning a lot of new things. It's not paying me what I was making with my last freelance job. It's paying HALF. But I see long term potential, and it's leading me in the right direction career wise. I see myself making at least 100K+ next year once I get my certification, leverage my network, and get some consistency going with what I'm learning as a Product Manager. I love what I'm doing.

JOB 2: I got a call from an job placement agency who wants to submit my resume for Tech Project Manager role with NBA.com. I'll be working on their mobile app. It's paying me double what I'm making now. BUT, 1. Ultimately I'm trying to get into Product Management, and get away from project management 2. It's contract. I've been in so many contract job situation over the past 6 years. They usually never go perm, and I end up stressing about finding another job. 3. Apart of me is tired of going from job to job. I've been doing freelance work at home like all summer and had a part-time digital marketing job at this art gallery...I'm just tired of the inconsistency I've been experiencing lately.

WOULD YOU STAY AT JOB ONE, OR PERSUE JOB TWO THAT PAYS DOUBLE BUT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE ON SOME BULLSHIT?

Poll question: I have a career question.

Poll result (19 votes)
Stay at JOB 1 (17 votes)Vote
Pursue JOB 2 (2 votes)Vote

12697784, Stay
Posted by makaveli, Tue Jan-13-15 06:48 PM
Go with your heart and do what you really want to do. Money will come eventually.

PS working from home is awesome too.
12697796, Choose happiness
Posted by Kira, Tue Jan-13-15 06:59 PM
It seems like Job one makes you genuinely happy. Your words don't sound like someone who views it as a job but more of a great environment that allows you to flex your skills. My vote is for happiness and long-term security.
12697842, I don't understand why you can't stay at job one
Posted by samsara, Tue Jan-13-15 07:47 PM
while pursuing job two
and turn job two down if you decide you don't want to leave
if job two is offered to you

are you afraid of job one finding out about your application?
12697844, shit, that workload would kill her.
Posted by Very-Effortless, Tue Jan-13-15 07:49 PM
ain't no way.
12697847, Yep, always stay looking for the better job. Cross which job to take
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-13-15 07:52 PM
when you get to that bridge.

As far as which job to take I think its always best to take the job with the best long term potential.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12697942, If I move forward with the pursuit, that's what I'd be doing
Posted by MizClayton, Tue Jan-13-15 09:45 PM
it's just be super hard to turn down double the money right now since I need it, so I need to be mentally prepared to do that if I'm out in that situation

I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but I'm indecisive as fuck so I try to have my mind made up early
12700244, ah, so they are operating the same way at all levels
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Jan-15-15 07:17 PM
yeah i have noticed working for the league websites as a journalist is no prize. like i know turner is getting cheap and they probably got the idea from nhl.com, who has a very small staff and then a bunch of stringers, essentially. they will cover every game for a team/market, but they just get a daily fee. mlb.com seems a little better from what little i know.

i dunno, like i said you sound pretty decided on this and the more i read, the more i think you are making the right call. the money is tough to walk away from, you have to ask yourself how firm is this startup and how fast can you advance within it? if you were being honest about that in the OP, suck it up for a while knowing that long-term you will be in better shape.
12700339, This is me too lol ... But
Posted by samsara, Thu Jan-15-15 10:45 PM
You never know what will come out through the interview process

There may be something else that turns you on or off once you have more information. Also some people who interview well but decline, or aren't right for a position may be kept on file for a position more in line with what you are looking for down the road. You never know. I wouldn't automatically say no to applying necessarily but you know what's best re: the tempting financials so that could just be the deciding factor right there
12697845, Job 1 - Loving what you do is fucking important
Posted by Very-Effortless, Tue Jan-13-15 07:50 PM
And if that's where you want your career to head, there's nothing wrong with taking one step back in order to take three forward.
12697848, Job one. Career wise, it makes sense. Think long term.
Posted by Castro, Tue Jan-13-15 07:52 PM
12697903, take the nba job. kick ass at it & push hard for something else
Posted by Binlahab, Tue Jan-13-15 08:53 PM
NBA is out on the cutting edge of tech & mobile apps etc

if you do a good job there who knows what it could lead to

youre young, single, no ties...now IS the time to take those chances etc

good luck

does it really matter?

for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth: http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg
12697987, I mean you sound like you're more or less decided
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-14-15 12:39 AM
The way you present the two options, there is not much of a choice.

The only thing about the NBA job that makes it attractive is the pay, which you seem confident will work itself out in the first gig. The other potential thing would be that NBA.Com is going to be in business indefinitely, whereas this other thing is a startup. That seems negated by your view of contract work and the relative growth potential of each gig.
12697996, NBA is owned by Turner
Posted by MizClayton, Wed Jan-14-15 12:55 AM
Turner just had a bunch of layoffs, then hired contractors

seems like they don't want to hire anyone as a full-time employee, that's the thing

12697992, i'd take the nba job but that's me.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-14-15 12:47 AM
that's something i know i would enjoy.
12698006, Was in your position last year aka golden handcuffs.
Posted by MiQL, Wed Jan-14-15 02:08 AM
I took a significant pay cut to get out of CRUD apps, but I'm switching to an industry I'm excited about and the opportunities are great.

12698335, You made a strong case for job 1.
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Wed Jan-14-15 11:23 AM
If that's the direction you want your career to head in, I'd stay. If you're not joining the organization in the role you want your career to head in, you're risking marginalizing yourself on a path you don't want to be on. So, even though it's more money and a well known organization, you're sending a bit of a mixed message. That said, I'd probably use the interview process as an opportunity to make a connection and put my intentions out there.
12698425, product manager jobs are extremely competitive
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Jan-14-15 11:55 AM
they make senior dev money with way less openings
if you are already one and perm i'd stick with it and just hope to build out the resume/portfolio so you can leverage that in the future
you should have buco opportunity to establish a track record at a small software company trying to flesh out feature sets
12698430, Depends on how old you are and what your portfolio looks like
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jan-14-15 11:57 AM
Think about it like this, when you move on from either job will you be in a better position to get a new one that is a step up from where you started.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
12698431, could you somehow manage both?
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Jan-14-15 11:57 AM
or is the workload of Job 1 just too demanding?

cause as is...u made a much better case for job 1
12698480, You've clearly made your decision.
Posted by daryloneal, Wed Jan-14-15 12:10 PM
12700218, I mean, I have debt to pay off
Posted by MizClayton, Thu Jan-15-15 06:21 PM
so there's that

double the pay help tremendously with that

but yea, after thinking about if for a couple of days, I'm going to stay my ass put and work hard
12698802, I'm in HR and I support the Prod. Mgmt org
Posted by Friscos Finest, Wed Jan-14-15 02:10 PM
in my company.

The career pathing through PM is worth it. Stay at #1.

Side question...are you in the Bay?
12700215, no, Atlanta
Posted by MizClayton, Thu Jan-15-15 06:20 PM
12699011, certification?
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Wed Jan-14-15 04:20 PM
in what?
12700224, Agile
Posted by MizClayton, Thu Jan-15-15 06:23 PM
or some Product Management training

haven't decided

12699092, BTW, google is getting so much heat for not being diverse you should
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jan-14-15 05:27 PM
check them out.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12699226, Been in product management a long time and a Director now.
Posted by doberman, Wed Jan-14-15 08:17 PM
Stay in the 1st job. Software product Management is usually a well-paying field with great long term prospects. Since everything involves software now, all companies need PMs, be it creating new and innovative software products, or just product managing support sites, etc.

You need a few years experience on your resume to start getting the good gigs though...and it's always tough to get that first one.

You've found it...don't fuck it off!