Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI need to lease a car. Under $200/month. Please advise.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12696768
12696768, I need to lease a car. Under $200/month. Please advise.
Posted by GHNO, Tue Jan-13-15 09:23 AM
I don't want to pay for maintenance (ie oil changes, etc.).
I need good gas mileage for a 24mile daily round trip commute.
It needs to be safe (ie, airbags everywhere, and good ratings).

I looked at the Hyundai Elantra...but I feel like I might be missing out on some brands I don't know about....
For instance, I see the VW Passats can be leased for under $200/month and that's a larger car and higher class than the Elantra....

I'm just getting confused now, and I need some advice from the OKP family.

12696780, VW Passat or Jetta
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-13-15 09:28 AM
Honda Civic
Mazda 3, maybe the Mazda 6

12696791, Is maintenance included on all of these?
Posted by GHNO, Tue Jan-13-15 09:35 AM
The Mazda 3 was on my radar...but I read somewhere that it has a noisy and uncomfortable cabin in it's class.

Also, I need an automatic, forgot to list that....

The Passat is cool...but I think it might be too big for my wife.
I do like the rear leg room though....
My folks have one....and one thing I hate is how sluggish it is...like..you push the gas...and it seems to take FOREVER to accelerate...also the brakes are VERY touchy....
VW's used to be fun, but they've done something to the drivetrain that I can't pinpoint...they just seem very sluggish now.

The Honda Fit....just doesn't look safe...is it?
12696807, I have a VW CC and it's a little sluggish
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-13-15 09:49 AM
but I think they did it on purpose.. it has the feel of a stick even though it's an automatic. I don't mind it because I'm not THAT GUY who peels off as soon as the light turns green.

The Passat feels huge compared to the CC so I would suggest looking at the Jetta if VW is still on the list.

I have no idea about Mazda 3's and the oil changes... pretty sure you are still responsible for all the minor maintenance with a leased car.

Elantra was nice but a little small for my taste.
12696974, i'm SOooooo THAT guy...
Posted by GHNO, Tue Jan-13-15 11:50 AM
if you're not in my rearview, you're winning the game...thus I have to pass you so that I'm winning.

But alas, the whip is for my wife, not me....

I like the rear legroom of the Passat a LOT.