Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: How does that not address it?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12695830&mesg_id=12697575
12697575, RE: How does that not address it?
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jan-13-15 04:32 PM
>Yes, Black people are only like 13% of the total US
>population, but TV shows are set in specific locations,
>usually locations where black people are a quarter or more of
>the population.
>
>Thus it isn't really over-representation of black people, it's
>an under-representation of locations between the coasts and
>outside of major cities.
>
>
simple answer, urban centers are not monoliths. Many are still very segregated in terms of race (tied to the component of class). A show taking place in Los Angeles could look many different ways and be about many different things related to race, ethnicity, and culture. You can walk Santa Monica for two hours and count 20 Black people and then drive 20min Southeast on the 10/405 chill at Fox Hills and see nothing but Black and Brown bodies, etc

But I think another element of JF's post is the types of representations. So many Black shows are tied to realities that are outdated or dishonest. A middle class black family will more than likely NOT live, work, and socialize with only Black people, yet shows are obsessively tied to this idea. It literally colors America as Black or White, and some times Brown/Latino, maybe an Asian or two.

so even with your caveat it is an over representation

Blacks are still tied to super successful middle class tropes, hood narratives, or token face(s) of spiritual guidance or comedic/cool relief.

I mean you made a great point in the other post that a show based on your life should work, but it would get tweaked to fit the modes and numbers of representation

"we're" over represented in the most cliche of ways

>Also, next time, why don't you try explaining what you mean
>instead of giving a short, cryptic answer. It makes you come
>across as confrontational for no reason.
>
one, because i don't have to. it's that simple. if my reply seemed cryptic, maybe that was the point. confrontational, no. that is more about you than me

two, i rarely go into long explanations on OKP, so it's not out of character for me