Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti mean EVERY sport can be called out
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12695566&mesg_id=12695680
12695680, i mean EVERY sport can be called out
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-11-15 08:52 PM
i think the umpiring in baseball is generally clean but what about the cardinals-royals world series or the play at the plate in the play-in game between the padres and royals?

in soccer, i mean cmon, even as a casual observer you can see heavy potential for fixing. 90 minutes can pass without a single decent scoring chance, but a penalty kick is like a better-than-not chance of a goal every time.

in hockey, penalty shots are more cut-and-dried, but penalties are not. i feel like there are a lot of selective and make-up calls in games. a power play is huge, offensive-zone start plus an extra skater (or two or three in an extreme situation).

in basketball, all i have to point to is D Wade's FT attempts in 06 or, of course, the lakers and kings game 6.

football is a tough sport to officiate because there is a penalty or three or every play. i would say it's even more difficult than hockey, where rules and enforcement are slightly better defined. like you could call a hold on every single down.