Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSystemic racism gong on the record? (CNN)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12695481
12695481, Systemic racism gong on the record? (CNN)
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 01:26 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/09/justice/georgia-gym-mat-death/index.html

If you don't know about this case you should get familiar. It's almost two years now and pretty much the whole town is keeping its trap shut. I mean you've got two brothers who've refused to talk to officials one of whom had a previous altercation with Kendrick. You've got the refusal to hand over important video footage from the school. And now you've got the link above in which the cases which seek to force the release of that important information is being held up because 7 judges say they are too close to the officials involved to serve.

My question is, if you've got seven judges saying basically they can't be fair in this black family's case, requiring they go outside to get impartiallity, isn't that basically saying there can't be justice for black folk there? Naturally this isn't the only place things like this exists, but going on the record with it. Or is this more common in other situations than I think?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
12695483, ?
Posted by SoWhat, Sun Jan-11-15 01:30 PM
per the chief judge's letter to counsel, the judges recused b/c they have personal ties to the officials whose conduct is at issue in the case.

i don't see where they recused b/c they're white and the family and the deceased are black. did i miss that part?
12695488, I'm reaching as it's not on the record in black and white
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 01:37 PM
But this isn't even about the case itself, just about giving the family rights to the evidence. I'm just not understanding how this request, not only cannot be fulfilled, but judges feel like its a conflict of interest for them to decide whether it needs to happen. A judge can't tell someone they know, you need to turn over all of the relevant information for this case? Just seems strange.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

12695490, ok.
Posted by SoWhat, Sun Jan-11-15 01:42 PM
12695491, i take it i'm way off base.
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 01:48 PM
why i framed it more as a question initially. it's my gut reaction but again maybe this is more common than i'm aware. two years going through all the proper channels only to consistently get stonewalled. i'm not sure how this happens legally without the absence of some sort of systemic bias.

am i reading it all wrong though?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12695495, i dunno.
Posted by SoWhat, Sun Jan-11-15 01:56 PM
12695500, what could be the "personal" reason? is it more likely all 7 judges in a county
Posted by Riot, Sun Jan-11-15 02:03 PM
GO to the same Church as the school principal,

Or all seven judges would be ostracized in whatever churches they really do attend, for presiding over a case against the school?

I can't see all 7 having kids at the school

Obvious answer is they don't want the case to come back and "personally" bite them

Either in the OP 'whiteness' sense
Or the "prime suspect's daddy is a somebody" sense

Have u heard of something like this happening before?
12695504, yes, i have.
Posted by SoWhat, Sun Jan-11-15 02:31 PM
last year i had 5 judges recuse themselves on a case i worked b/c they all worked w/the complaining witness.

the complaining witness was a courthouse employee.
12695509, Ok i get that. This whole thing is so confusing though.
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 02:41 PM
This judge Altman ordered the release of the files back in 2013. Still being refused. So now this case is brought up and all of the judges (can't tell if that's including Altman) recuse themselves?

There's this open records law on the state records and yet everything is being done to prevent them from being opened.

Mind you its worth noting that the suits are against the sherrif's dept and the school board. I guess it makes sense that the judges could have regular interactions with these officials, but at the same time how does the order get pushed down to release the files one year and then no judge can do it the second time?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12695510, i dunno.
Posted by SoWhat, Sun Jan-11-15 02:42 PM
12695521, :(
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sun Jan-11-15 03:01 PM
i haven't been closely following this case but, TWO YEARS and the
family still hasn't seen the original footage of that day? why? what
is on the tape? they obviously don't care and/or respect the deceased
and his family. their son is found dead rolled up in a mat at
school? video footage caught something and they refuse to release it?
it's insanity. just release the goddamn footage and any other
pertaining evidence already. show some respect.

how do they know that he was reaching for his shoe? who said that?
why didn't they help him?
12695536, that always got me
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 03:40 PM
>how do they know that he was reaching for his shoe? who said
>that?
>why didn't they help him?

I think it was indicated as forensic evidence, corroborated by statements from students that people frequently used the gym mats for lockers. Like what?

I think the independent autopsy killed that, though i don't know that it is actually on record for the case.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12695526, 2 years
Posted by bentagain, Sun Jan-11-15 03:10 PM
How many of these systemic failures do we need before we actually start to address the issue

where is their justice

where is there justice
12695548, okay, now i get it
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sun Jan-11-15 04:25 PM
just reading up on this, looks like two yt boys may have been involved.
12695551, two white boys who have been allowed to not have to answer ?s
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 04:39 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12695554, Umm...they don't have to answer questions
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sun Jan-11-15 04:44 PM
In fact, it's in your best interests to not answer any questions if you are a suspect.
If you had anything to do with it or not
12695555, Especially if you're guilty and being allowed to walk free for 2 years
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-11-15 04:46 PM
Oh i get it. So do a lot of the lawmakers in the area. And it seems they are doing all they can to protect these two kids.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12695557, this could happen to a white family
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun Jan-11-15 04:51 PM
If it involves wealthy or connected parents the outcome could easily be the same.
12696168, so protection of the family trumps possible 'cism in this case
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-12-15 12:45 PM
unless the crime itself is racially motivated, in which case it's not just protection of the family but protection of the cism.

you're right though.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

12696178, Benjamin Crump is on the as the Johnson's Lawyer
Posted by Case_One, Mon Jan-12-15 12:52 PM

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."
12696453, crump getting peeezaid...or is he?
Posted by LAbeathustla, Mon Jan-12-15 04:46 PM