Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThat's goes to show how people can interpret things differently.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12693200&mesg_id=12693766
12693766, That's goes to show how people can interpret things differently.
Posted by daryloneal, Thu Jan-08-15 04:26 PM
I see that in two parts.

the "new black":

a) Dreams. (and I don't take it to mean that the "old black" didn't/doesn't.. it's just a statement).

b) realizes that it's not a pigmentation, it's a mentality.

And what I took from "b" is that he's saying that 1) Nobody should be able to tell you that you aren't black enough because of your complexion and 2) your color alone shouldn't dictate your actions.

Mainly because the key point he followed it with was that people shouldn't do things just because they're black. They should do them because it interests them.

The opposite mentality causes people to put limitations on themselves and others because they feel that there are "rules" to being black. But to me he's saying that the "new black" (like I said before a cringe-worthy label) dreams beyond the color-based limitations that society AND other black people have established.

And to me there's nothing wrong with that.

He isn't saying that he isn't black (like Raven Simone) or that he is ABOVE being black, he's saying IS black all day long and he won't place boundaries on his dreams and actions because of it OR spend time trying to prove that he's black enough for other black people.

At least that's what I took from it.