Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI was always surprised he made it out of the country.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12693136&mesg_id=12693356
12693356, I was always surprised he made it out of the country.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Thu Jan-08-15 11:17 AM
Most people that were into Jamiroquai at the time over here had to admit it was at the very least a "guilty pleasure" - he was kind of a cross between Jools Holland, the "Jazz" bloke from The Fast Show and that guy who's always in the corner of a houseparty boring everyone about strains of dope. He was never really "cool", but he managed to project an image of an alternative mainstream or something... like you could claim to yourself you were being alternative by listening to a ginger bloke in a floppy hat faux-scatting through a 16 year old pothead's diary... but your friends would be laughing at you behind your back so you'd never actually mention it out loud.

I was pretty amazed when I realised ten years later that he'd managed to sell the same weak shit all round the world, espcially to countries that really should have known better.

No wonder he's got such a nice garage. He really does have a lovely garage. That always struck me as incongruous with his designer crusty image too. Dude looks like he should be chaining himself to trees to stop roads being built, but he spent most of the 90s and 00s hooning around London in a McLaren F1.

I've made myself all angry just by thinking about him.