Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12691669&mesg_id=12691952
12691952, RE: Trying To Get My African Co-Workers To Understand...
Posted by kaytomah, Wed Jan-07-15 11:16 AM
I think the issue is valid as a diaspora topic of discussion. However, I think your assertion leave little room for an expansive and inclusive discussion.

I am Liberian; I know what the "Americo-Liberian" did to indigenous nations in "Liberia." Not the same, but I just want to illustrate that the Atlantic Slave Trade was not practice by most Africans.

Africans like most immigrants tend to generally buy into the American narrative. The institutional, governmental, scientific and culturally believe that anyone(group) can make it regardless of the systematic diseases AA went through from Slavery, cultural alienation, Jim Crow, Black codes...

My mother likes to stress that America has "free education." But she misses the fact that this free education is secondary to most. Your African co-workers will understand the institutional and cultural racism if you point them in the direction of health in the US.

My point is the world in general has bought into this narrative; African or not.