Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYes and no.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12691652&mesg_id=12692744
12692744, Yes and no.
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jan-07-15 06:18 PM
How many people who weren't muslims do you think suffered in the post-911 world? Sihks, Hindus, Atheists, Even Christians... who "look" muslim were undoubtedly harassed and persecuted.

Muslims are a racialized religious group. As is every other "non-white" religion.

So in a vaccuum I would agree with you -- fuck, I'm an atheist. But context is essential. I above other things, side with the oppressed.

But my issue here isn't about religion. And that's where I was having a lot of cognitive dissonance. My issue is about POWER. The Muslims in this case are the disenfranchised.

And again... that doesn't mean I side with the killers though. I don't agree with their actions at all. But what I do have empathy for/with is Muslims and other disenfranchised people in France (and all over the world) -- and it's them who will be caught in the middle of this. Between the killers and (white) France stand innocent Muslims who will be the ones who pay the price for this.