Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI've been having trouble coming to an opinon on this...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12691652&mesg_id=12692728
12692728, I've been having trouble coming to an opinon on this...
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jan-07-15 05:52 PM
I think I have it worked out, but I may still need some help.

Charlie Hebdo was wrong. The killers were wrong.

I am not a muslim, I am not a christian. But in situations like these (before the killing) I side with the muslims because they're the disenfranchised. I do not agree with those in power making fun of those without. You've already got your foot on their throat economically, politically, socially... We need no more of your "jokes."

At the same time, I don't think that the folks at Charlie Hebdo should be have been murdered.

I think I was having trouble at first because I hadn't inserted the power dynamics. Context is important.

So while my general viewpoint gives not a shit about Islam or Muhammad or anything. Muslims in the west are oppressed and by virtue of that, should not be antagonized of by their oppressors. Regardless of the fact that I disagree with (their) religion.

By the same token, I would have no problem with muslims (for example) making similar comics about Jesus... because of their social position. Power matters.

I looked at an article showing 21 "inspiring" pictures about the public response to this... Je Suis Charlie shit... and all I see is white faces. Not a single brown face. Which is interesting to me, because it seems to point to them saying "We want the freedom to be racist/xenophobic" which is what lead me to my thoughts about how power plays into this. If the response (murder) wasn't so extreme... would they still feel like they are Charlie? I would hope not... power dynamics...

Does my line of thinking make sense?