Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYes, tons, but the current climate for merchandise is discouraging
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12691474&mesg_id=12691923
12691923, Yes, tons, but the current climate for merchandise is discouraging
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-07-15 10:58 AM
With the NBA, Adidas's switch to these Rev30 cuts has been an overpriced, impractical bust. Unless you are very tall and lean, you can't find anything that fits in the authentics. In the past I was between an XL and 2XL, now I have to go up to 3XL and I am not any bigger, in fact I have lost a little weight.

I did get some Sixers blanks that I plan to do as Noel, Embiid and Carter-Williams. They were too cheap to pass on ($20 each from $200), but I doubt I will ever wear them. The last Sixers jersey I bought was an Iverson from his comeback, before Adidas switched the the Rev30 Cut and before they started making jerseys with sleeves (which is not a *new* concept, btw). I own about 75 different ones from years past and other manufacturers (Champion, Mitchell & Ness, etc), so I think I can weather this storm lol.

Nike's return to the NFL has also been disappointing. Is Ripon still making anyone's gamers? I saw one gamer and it didn't look like it. Football gamers are always tailored weird anyway. Their retail stuff is crap. I didn't expect because their college stuff had gotten really shitty. I still have some Ripon jerseys (with Reebok and Puma logos on them) and a number of M&Ns, including a few durene ones (Bednariks, Van Buren, McDonald).

I still think Majestic puts out a pretty good product for baseball, although I think double knits are nicer than Cool Base, which is too sensitive of a fabric. I have a handful of newer Phillies jerseys and then some old Rawlings, Russell and M&N also.

Hockey had consistently had the best retail authentics. Outside of some guys who might have cut their sleeves or otherwise made alterations, you were getting EXACTLY what the players wore on the ice. Reebok has screwed that up in recent years but they seem to be getting back to it slowly but surely. I have a ton of Flyers jerseys from CCM, Koho, Eagle, Reebok, Nike, etc. Easily my favorite sport to collect. The game-worn hobby is going down the shitter, but honestly I was never much for that anyway.