Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject#BlackBrunchNYC Disrupts Diners To Protest Police Brutality (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12690203
12690203, #BlackBrunchNYC Disrupts Diners To Protest Police Brutality (swipe)
Posted by Kevin26_2, Mon Jan-05-15 02:05 PM
So there's a war on black people, and the front lines are at Whole Foods and brunch places? I don't quite get it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/black-brunch-disrupts-restaurants_n_6416844.html

In a seemingly new approach to demonstrating, protesters in New York interrupted patrons at various restaurants on Sunday to declare injustice in America and call attention to problematic policing tactics.

The event was part of a movement dubbed #BlackBrunch in which protesters purposely selected eateries across the city, or places they referred to as "white spaces," to voice their outrage over police violence against Blacks.

On Sunday, about three dozen demonstrators marched into restaurants and briefly interrupted mid-day meals as they read aloud the names of African Americans killed by police, Yahoo reports.

“There is a war on Black people in America that cannot be ignored and the Black Brunch tactic is one that is committed to interrupting ‘business as usual’ until the war against us has ended,” reads a statement written by #BlackBrunch organizers.

“Young Black leaders organized Black Brunch in response to the historic violence and unjust crimes committed against Black people in America,” the statement continues.

Some of the protests were held at popular New York City eateries including The Barking Dog, Lallisse, Maialino and Pershing Square. Meanwhile, across the country, similar protests also took place in restaurants in Oakland, California.

“We march, chant and sing together as we claim space in areas that are predominantly non-Black,” organizers wrote.

Organizers said this spin on sit-in style protests is a resistance tactic that was created by organizers in Oakland last year.

Many applauded the protests on Twitter while others weren’t too pleased with the momentary demonstration. Instead, some patrons saw the interruption as an inconvenience and subsequently expressed their frustration on social media.
12690206, reminds me of the protest @ STL Opera House.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jan-05-15 02:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7ErkQFduQ
12690254, that at least included
Posted by Kevin26_2, Mon Jan-05-15 02:31 PM
some singing, so i feel like there was some artistic merit...

... that would have been more appropriate not during the event. maybe outside or across the street as people go in.
12690497, protest isn't supposed to be appropriate.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jan-05-15 04:43 PM
the disruption is part of the point.

if ppl want the disruption to stop they're supposed to call their legislative rep/governor/prosecutor/et al and demand action on the issues raised by the protest. sure, at first the ppl are likely to be mad at the protestors and ignore the issue. that's why the protest continues until the ppl finally relent and demand action from __.
12690209, I haven't heard enough *feelings* about this?
Posted by illegal, Mon Jan-05-15 02:08 PM
how dare they interrupt bottomless mimosas?
12690242, It's not that much of a stretch.
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Mon Jan-05-15 02:25 PM
They're making those who are oblivious feel the same discomfort that we do on a regular. I think it's a good look.
12690309, how is this a good look?
Posted by Kevin26_2, Mon Jan-05-15 02:54 PM
a protest in places that are utilized by mostly liberal white people? whats the nexus between liberal whites and police brutality?

put another way, how are brunch and whole foods protests going to move the movement (in a way that political / community organizing wouldn't)?
12690447, Who says all of those folks are liberal?
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Mon Jan-05-15 04:12 PM
After having lived in Plano, I can tell you plenty of conservative Bush-loving white folks shop at Whole Foods and brunch. Even if they are liberal, do you not think liberal white folks ignore the injustices black people face on a regular? It's a good look, because one of the main points of protesting is to put an issue in people's faces to pay attention. So, anything that brings recognition is a good look. Protest isn't supposed to be comfortable or compartmentalized. What good does it do to keep the protesting limited to black neighborhood?
12690503, the liberal white brunchers should be so upset about
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jan-05-15 04:45 PM
police brutality that they get on the horn to ___ and demand action. and/or they are shamed into participating in protest themselves b/c they're lefty-leaning liberals who don't want to be on the wrong side of history - like the ppl who are more upset that their brunch was disturbed than they are about innocent ppl being killed in the street like dogs by police who are sworn to protect them.
12690285, Actually makes more sense than protesting in their own neighborhoods
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Mon Jan-05-15 02:41 PM
Take the riot to Brentwood not Watts
12690452, Ex-NYPD officer posts twitter threat against Black Brunch *link*
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Jan-05-15 04:15 PM
https://hiphopwired.com/2015/01/05/black-brunch-protests-former-cop-threat/
12690459, and they say a database is a waste of time
Posted by Atillah Moor, Mon Jan-05-15 04:19 PM
Hats off to this man though. I can see why they put him on the force.
12690482, in today's edition of Telling on Yourself
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jan-05-15 04:35 PM
I'll shoot you

for protesting

me shooting you

gotta love NYPD logic folks
12690665, why is their first response almost always a threat of violence?
Posted by homer_pimpson225, Mon Jan-05-15 10:43 PM
Yet we're supposed to be the brutish savages!
12690526, I would have only question: Is it effective?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jan-05-15 05:01 PM
I think any protest that fails this test needs to be re-examine.

If the only goal is to get publicity for the cause, this would be effective because people are writing about it.

But who read this story or was at that restaurant and didn't know anything about the ongoing issue of police brutality in the city?

If the goal is to get the brunch goers to act (call their congressman, etc.), I fail to see how this would be effective.

Happy to hear other ways this could be considered effective protesting.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12690543, We're talking about it
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jan-05-15 05:16 PM
I am truly surprised by how many people think the protests have actually stopped

12690663, right but did it raise awareness regarding police brutality?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jan-05-15 10:22 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12690667, more importantly, did it affect change
Posted by Kevin26_2, Mon Jan-05-15 10:52 PM
or get a ball rolling somewhere to get police to act better? its good we're more "aware" but past awareness this doesnt seem effective
12690669, Why Brunch Diners though?
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Mon Jan-05-15 10:58 PM
Population?
Space?
Demographic?

What variables were analyzed when deciding on bourgie brunch diners?
12690672, nyc is so socially integrated i doubt anyone noticed
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Jan-05-15 11:06 PM
:/