Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRIP my Local Arcade at the Mall
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12689610
12689610, RIP my Local Arcade at the Mall
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun Jan-04-15 03:49 PM
it was a sad sad evening. chopped it up with a Bro Man about who was better between Ali and tyson and also Pryor and Eddie

real talks
and then looking over at the arcade because I had some quarters and already to get my play on
and then it was closed.
\\\

the gate was down and it was a empty building. my eyes was sad.

this cat working at teavanna felt the same way about the end of the arcade because i was like NO, it can't be.

good thing i had my LG and Brian Mcknight's"s show you how it works" was playing to bring some smile
despite the saddness.,

who else had arcade blues when it was no more?

12689620, i feel you
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-04-15 04:05 PM
my ex's nephews always got huge eyes when i took them to the arcade down here. we'd shoot pirates and ride bumper cars and run through the dumb little obstacle course. it was always a fun, strangely overpriced day that left the kids exhausted but still begging to go back and play another 10 bucks worth of games. i would fuck up some pop-a-shot (nine outta the ten best scores on the machine including the top five lol) so they'd actually have some tickets for whatever dinky ass prizes they wanted.

it was like a time warp, because this arcade mostly had shit from the '90s and of course as a grown man you can seldom enjoy stupid shit like this.

earlier this year they closed the arcade and moved all the games/equipment to another location in another city. we heard about it and made sure to go and stay til closing one night.
12689628, Been down that road many times
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun Jan-04-15 04:14 PM
You're lucky you had one for so long. The good news is there's an arcade underground that seems to popping up. Arcade cabinets are really a piece of game and computer history and being that they are a limited resource-- I think you will see them survive just in smaller numbers and through avenues different than the local arcade.
12689630, Very little cheap entertainment left
Posted by bigkarma, Sun Jan-04-15 04:21 PM
When I was a teen, we could have a few bucks in our pocket and hit the bowling alley, the arcade, or the dollar theater just to get out of the house and kick it.

Now, you can't pry them out of the house, and if you do, all the little cheap break-off places have been replaced by entertainment megajoints like Dave & Busters, Stars & Stripes, LaserQuest...etc., that are designed to hit those pockets HARD
12689633, exactly, everything is designed to keep you on your ass or spending cash
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-04-15 04:25 PM
or both
12689635, took me 2hrs to burn $5 at Nickelrama couple days ago
Posted by deejboram, Sun Jan-04-15 04:26 PM
http://www.nickelrama.com/

met my nephew and his dad in Garland at this spot and we had a blast
them 3-d driving games got me dizzy tho

we hit the go karts at shenanigans first to get things poppin tho:

http://www.shenaniganz.com/
12689658, dude you were at nicklerama in Garland????
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun Jan-04-15 05:12 PM
omg
12689671, looked like a nice area man.
Posted by deejboram, Sun Jan-04-15 05:37 PM
i was there on saturday with all that rain
i was trying to to 635 to 20 to 45 back to houston but i forgot that propane tanker was still on fire and all 20W lanes were closed so i took 30E to 45S

talk about some CRAZY weather man

but yeah, garland is really nice considering the Oak Cliff that I'm used to
12689673, garland is kinda shitty but there are some very nice parts
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun Jan-04-15 05:38 PM
but ya its definitely a real "suburb" compared to maybe oak cliff which feels more like an extension of dallas to me.
12689653, Man I miss the old school video arcades
Posted by after midnight, Sun Jan-04-15 04:58 PM
Whether it was the big arcades with the pinball machines way in the back, or the grimy hood corner stores and take out food spots, them shits were the shit. Street Fighter, Mario Bros, Ms Pac Man, Berzerk, good times. Dragon's Lair blew my mind. TWO quarters, but fuck it.

X-Box and Playstation are cool, but it ain't the same as a big ass coin-op machine in an arcade.

And there were always shady characters lurking about. And some delinquent little punk trying to weasel his way into your game "You can't beat that boss, let me beat him for you"

Get your ass outta here, youngin'. This is MY quarter, my game.
12689687, They still have the nickel-nickel joint around my way but ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-04-15 05:58 PM
I was disappointed to find that the machines are really shabbily maintained, some are totally unplayable. I haven't been back in years though.
12689696, when Mr. M's got a neogeo cab we lost our minds
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun Jan-04-15 06:15 PM
12689726, i wonder how much the neo geo gold consoles go for now
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-04-15 07:01 PM
like i remember as a kid i would always go to this store where they had one on display and wonder what it would be like to own this console that cost damn near as much as arcade game. i think they ranged from $700-$1500 depending which model you got.

i wonder if today they are worthless or even more expensive because they were not very many of them and of course now 20+ years on a lot of the ones that existed no longer work.

either way i never thought it was *that* much better than like genesis and playstation 1. but it was pretty cool. you could also save your games and play them in the arcade, which was kind of pointless but sounded cool to my pubescent ears.
12689729, hmm i wonder..
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun Jan-04-15 07:03 PM
gonna have to look on ebay lol

my friend runs a tattoo shop they got a neo geo cab with like 50 games
12689762, so it looks like they did some sort of reissue and they are about $150
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Jan-04-15 08:40 PM
the vintage ones from the early 90s are expensive as fuck though
12689799, fam, I hear ya.
Posted by adg87, Sun Jan-04-15 10:25 PM
$5 at the arcade in Wildwood, NJ made you a rich man. My dad would give me and my brother loot and just turn us loose. Heaven, Berzerk, Carnival, Asteroids, Phoenix, Tron, the list goes on and on.
12689661, This post looks fucked up next to the Stuart Scott post
Posted by Anonymous, Sun Jan-04-15 05:17 PM
12689670, My two greatest joys as a kid were Comic shops and Arcades
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sun Jan-04-15 05:36 PM
Va Beach had a Flippers McCoy which I thought was the greatest place on earth.

I wonder what will bring my young ones joy like that.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12689760, Same here, although comic shops were not the same entity that they r now
Posted by Mgmt, Sun Jan-04-15 08:37 PM
>Va Beach had a Flippers McCoy which I thought was the
>greatest place on earth.
>
>I wonder what will bring my young ones joy like that.
>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12689676, *Places a quarter on the marquee* I got next
Posted by spenzalii, Sun Jan-04-15 05:42 PM
There used to be a crew of 5 of us that would head there every week and play whatever version of Street Fighter II or Street Fighter Alpha was out. We would have to fight whoever was on the machine to get them off so we could fight among ourselves. We would watch whoever was playing for one round than argue who would get the chance to take him down.

Online play if fun and all, but there's nothing like being right next to your opponent. You can use a cheesy move online now without recompense but that could get you punched in the arcade. Man I mess those days
12689677, Disney has a 5 floor arcade in Orlando
Posted by seasoned vet, Sun Jan-04-15 05:44 PM
i loved it
12689697, man i havent seen an arcade in years.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Jan-04-15 06:21 PM
12689748, I take mine to the acrade at Circus Circus every time we're in Vegas
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Sun Jan-04-15 07:41 PM
mainly 'cause that's usually where we stay when we're there. My kids LOVE going to the arcade and I still get warm fuzzies when I walk into one.

... and I STILL kick people's asses on SFII, MK/MK2, and Samurai Showdown.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12689759, Any Tokyo heads in here?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun Jan-04-15 08:20 PM
Nothing quite like literally sitting down at a head to head street fighter cabinet and having a dude in a business suit take a seat on the other side, put down his briefcase, and proceed to open a full can of asskick on you.

12689828, *raises hand*
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Jan-05-15 12:13 AM
Yeah... I've done that before. stop off somewhere after work, they got that SFII Hyper Fighting cabinet in the corner with a few kids on it. I walk up, put my quarter on the marquee and wait. My turn comes and I annihilate all comers with Dhalsim just for grins and giggles then give one of the kids my game 'cause I gotta head down the road.

Yutes these days don't realize cats my age have 30+ years of playing vidya.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12689953, I'm in Tokyo right now
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Jan-05-15 10:42 AM
Was in the arcade earlier today. Just got turned onto these crazy coin games. SUPER addictive!

But I know exactly what you mean when playing some cat on the other side and you can't see his face until you beat him and he gets up to walk away. Greatness.
12690146, akiharaba?
Posted by The3rdOne, Mon Jan-05-15 01:24 PM
you try the 6 story Sega Arcade out there?
12690552, I wanna visit so bad, you guys are making me sad over here
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Mon Jan-05-15 05:21 PM
I want to experience this!
12690602, Yes! muslims do mecca...
Posted by The3rdOne, Mon Jan-05-15 06:25 PM
we do this!!!
12690537, *fist bumps*
Posted by Atillah Moor, Mon Jan-05-15 05:07 PM
12689769, Is the joint behind Nathan's, in Yonkers, still open?
Posted by murderbear, Sun Jan-04-15 09:02 PM
It's the only one I've been to
12689804, Haha I know that one!
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun Jan-04-15 10:32 PM
I think it may be. We passed by it two or three years ago and it looked like it still had games but maybe a smaller selection.
12689855, Sorry to hear that, we were supposed to take my girls
Posted by las raises, Mon Jan-05-15 06:31 AM
To the miniature golf/arcade today for the first time but got caught up doing other things
12689858, we used to hit the arcade 5 deep and blow all our money on the xmen joint
Posted by illEskoBar221, Mon Jan-05-15 06:58 AM
yo know the one that had wolverine
nightcrawler cyclops dazzler storm and colossus

we only beat magneto one time
12689860, WTF...the arcade at our mall called Del Amo closed in maybe 99?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Jan-05-15 07:38 AM
At latest, 2001...but feels like 98-99. It was riiiight next to a Sam Goody.....so perfect.

The one at Fox Hills closed sometime in the early or mid 90's.
12689918, I live 2 hrs away from supposedly the best arcade in the world
Posted by Stevie Lee, Mon Jan-05-15 10:10 AM
and I've never been. I've been wanting to for years. http://www.funspotnh.com/

A pretty sweet barcade just opened right near me, though. Me and my bro took 2nd place in their first 2v2 NBA Jam tournament.
12689965, Speaking of Dying Malls
Posted by Cam, Mon Jan-05-15 10:50 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/business/the-economics-and-nostalgia-of-dead-malls.html
12690161, ours closed back in 2000...it hurt me soul
Posted by gumz, Mon Jan-05-15 01:35 PM
i hadn't been there in a couple years but i spent 3-4 summers in there...lotta good memories
12690595, Nobody ran out of the chocolate factory bleeding
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jan-05-15 06:15 PM
Seriously, we didn't forget your disgusting Kells posting. It lives on in the archives.
12690685, I can emphasize, my local mall had arcade AND theater shut down :(
Posted by mtbatol, Tue Jan-06-15 12:04 AM
Shit is more like a glorified strip mall at this point, just a bunch of empty spaces, a no-name taking anchor store space, and a Target you have to walk outside the damn mall to access.

Think a nigga is gonna have to find a way to recreate a arcade at home for the day I have kids n shit.