Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFor the bravest of you...How did you crib train your baby?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12689258
12689258, For the bravest of you...How did you crib train your baby?
Posted by deejboram, Sat Jan-03-15 04:26 PM
Cry It Out?
Or some other psychologically and socially acceptable humane option?
12689261, Ferber method. 4 months old. It took 4 days
Posted by John Forte, Sat Jan-03-15 04:37 PM
My son will not be ready at 4 months, though. We'll probably wait until 5 months for him.
12689301, Cry it out. First night cried for 30 minutes. Second night 15 minutes.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Jan-03-15 06:50 PM
third night 5 minutes and we were done from there.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12689307, shit man. i just had 3 wks off work and startin 2 days before i go back
Posted by deejboram, Sat Jan-03-15 07:00 PM
i shoulda started this before xmas so she would be all good by now and we'd be a happy family in the new year
12689322, baby sleeping with yall?
Posted by tomjohn29, Sat Jan-03-15 07:16 PM
12689340, yessir. where's that graphic that MiQL had put up a few months back?
Posted by deejboram, Sat Jan-03-15 08:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/J2BRj.jpg
12689879, That Stalker one gets me everytime
Posted by Frank Mackey, Mon Jan-05-15 08:53 AM
12689319, stuck the babies in the crib
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Sat Jan-03-15 07:13 PM
same as my moms and her moms and everyone else. No methodology or anything, put the baby in the crib.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12689324, right now i just take him to his room
Posted by tomjohn29, Sat Jan-03-15 07:17 PM
read a book...rock him for a couple minutes till he sleeps
then put him in the crib
12689325, put him in the crib.
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Sat Jan-03-15 07:23 PM
played music if he was tripping.
12689409, took a weekend and the wife being away for work
Posted by RobOne4, Sun Jan-04-15 01:21 AM
wife went to AZ for 4 days so I knew it was my chance. First night I put him in his crib and let him cry it out. But I explained to him while I did it. Its bed time blah blah blah. Cried maybe 30 minutes then went to sleep. Next day started saying its bed time again and walking to his crib and he knew and started crying. I put him down and said I love you and he cried maybe 15 minutes. The 3rd day same routine. He cried until I closed the door in his room and instantly stopped because he knew it wasnt going to work. By the 4th day no crying at all.
12689410, I'll leave this here
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sun Jan-04-15 01:25 AM
http://qz.com/310622/the-scientific-evidence-against-spanking-timeouts-and-sleep-training/

some of you who have been in debates with me on child rearing know I dont agree with all of it. But I think its a good article with a different perspective

12689412, Hate to say it, but like I box trained a puppy...
Posted by CRichMonkey, Sun Jan-04-15 01:58 AM
Put her in the bassinet of the Pack-n-Play in our room and, over the course of two or three weeks, we slowly moved her across the room, into the living room, towards her room and eventually into the crib.

It was harder on her mom than her.

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*
12689880, Gotta let them cry and figure it out on their own...
Posted by Frank Mackey, Mon Jan-05-15 08:57 AM
It'll be hard and the wifey will probably lose her mind, but it's best for everyone.
12689886, right now he's sleeping in his crib in our bedroom. this guy will
Posted by Government Name, Mon Jan-05-15 09:17 AM
sleep anywhere once he's full-on tired.
12689914, Little man didn't want to be in the bassinet from like 3 weeks
Posted by magilla vanilla, Mon Jan-05-15 10:06 AM
Momma nurses him, they read a book and he goes down.
12689929, SPEND LOTS OF TIME IN HIS ROOM/WHERE HIS CRIB IS
Posted by eye.M.woman, Mon Jan-05-15 10:22 AM
yes.. im yelling

literally its like re-living the newborn days
for my baby, he woke up every 3 hours
he used to sleep 8-9 hours in the bassinet close to me,
but once we put him in his room - he wasnt familiar with his room.
so we litewrally did naps, played, did everything in his room.
after a week or so, he started sleeping thru the night.

we did not do the cry it out.
i just grabbed him, breastfed him and he went back to sleep.
he just started to soothe himself whenever he woke up in the middle of the night - at 5 months
12689934, RE: For the bravest of you...How did you crib train your baby?
Posted by TR808, Mon Jan-05-15 10:25 AM
Humans are the only animals that dont sleep with they babies....
12689940, RE: For the bravest of you...How did you crib train your baby?
Posted by Tiggerific, Mon Jan-05-15 10:28 AM
She started out in her co-sleeper next to our bed. And, we transitioned her to her room by rocking her to sleep at night and laying her in her crib. Yes, there were times she would wake up but it was pretty easy.

Now that she's almost 3, sleeping in her toddler bed, and that she can open her door and run into our room, she pretty much wakes up at 7 am pretty often now and she will come into our room to lay down for an hour or watch tv while we sleep.

Not too much morning Mommy-Daddy CoEd Nekkid Wrestling going on unless its at the crack of dawn.

12689962, we did pick up/put down method
Posted by J_Sun, Mon Jan-05-15 10:48 AM
The gist is you put them in the crib, if they cry you pick them up and soothe them. AS SOON as they stop crying, you put them back down. A lot of reassuring talk the whole time. It takes a lot longer than straight cry it out, but the idea is that since babies only know how to communicate distress by crying, you don't want to take away that Mommy and Daddy will always be there when they are in distress. It's about teaching them that going to sleep on their own is not something to be distressed about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common
12689973, we let them cry.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Jan-05-15 10:56 AM
patience was definitely tested, but it worked well. they never slept in our room. not even a bassinet. slept overnight pretty quickly. neither of our kids even ask to sleep with us.

I tried to take the lead role in getting them when they'd cry during the night. this helped my wife be more agreeable to letting the cry a lil longer cuz she wouldn't have to be the one getting out of bed to get them.
12690640, Never slept with us. Was in the bassinet beside the bed from day 1
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jan-05-15 08:36 PM
Then moved to the crib. We would sit in the room with her until she went to sleep, then gradually weened off from that.