Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectstrong effort...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12688616&mesg_id=12688770
12688770, strong effort...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Jan-02-15 02:42 PM
..after listening to the album 3 times (played through studio monitors, basic radio, & earpods), i can honestly say that its a strong effort all around.

however, the main issue i have is the overall mix. the production ideas were sound, but they suffer in delivery because the mix isn't balanced/dynamic enough. i like the fact that you steered clear of the typical overdubs & tracking for your vocals, but a tad-bit of enhancement (mostly the accents to your leads) would help as well.

the subs, drums, snares, and some synths (esp the levels on "nigga season") aren't where they need to be in the mix.

shore up the mix and this album goes from average to notable, and certainly an artist to check for.

*highlights:

laurence fishburne
the chase
game goofy

this is one helluva batting order. again, if the mix is right, these 3 songs are as impressive as anything else released in the past year. "the chase" has such a rich piano intro & lead that it damn-near demands an audience. you can't let this go down without a fight, man. PLEASE re-mix/master this album and give these songs their due diligence.

other standout(s):

hard work - nice groove, solid delivery.

congrats on the latest release. keep grindin'.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...