Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'll accept that risk, thanks!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12687676&mesg_id=12688284
12688284, I'll accept that risk, thanks!
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Dec-31-14 08:32 PM
Really though I have thought about his as well and, on a VERY SMALL SCALE, lived it and seen other people live it on a larger scale.

A couple of my uncles are pretty loaded (hasn't helped me any) and they seemed to go through sort of a round of buyouts. Basically doing one big favor for people and then sort of distancing themselves from them. One of them "loaned" his brother, who lived overseas, $50K and told me "If that's all I have to pay to never have him bother me again, I got off cheap." That was pretty cold, I thought.

A good friend's sister is very, very rich now. She is worth a couple hundred mil and growing, has a very successful career and a very successful company (two separate endeavors). She has handled it with a lot of class and decisively, I must say. Very open and cool where she can be, but very clear and direct in who she spends her time on/with.

I know a guy whose dad owed a bunch of coal mines and shit. Also loaded, tens of millions at least. What a weird ass situation. Just the stuff within his family alone gave me pause about being that rich. But I think mental illness also played a big role, plus the nature in which he made his fortune. Kind of an outlier. I don't feel like he handled things particularly well, but it was a tough situation and a damn near bottomless pit of money, so ...