Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSong structure in popular music is more or less ubiquitous.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12683849&mesg_id=12685105
12685105, Song structure in popular music is more or less ubiquitous.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Dec-27-14 01:56 AM
The format for "what works" in terms of popular music holds strong pretty much across the board. That said...

>what did punk add to song structure that wasnt there
>in old records from the the 50s?

The structure isn't really the significant element though. Simply emphasizing the crash cymbal, distortion, and increasing the tempo yields a significant difference and that's just the start.

>an old person could say it was a warmed over version
>of old records.

Well, they could, but they'd be wrong, because ultimately it's not about the "what", it's about the "how". If they want to have a halfway decent conversation about music, then they'll avoid that argument. Music is subjective in that people have particular tastes, however there are plenty of elements that simply defy a simple matter of opinion. They could go all day about chord progressions or any number of elements, but it only takes small changes in certain elements to dramatically shift from one genre to the next.

>we can do this all day.
>
>music is subjective.

It depends on what's being discussed, really. If the discussion is centered around what I like vs what you like, then yes. If the discussion is, say, what makes a punk song punk and what makes a hip hop song hip hop, well... there are certain inarguable truths. There are always exceptions to the rule and there are always shades of gray, but there are general elements that create the overall sound and culture of a genre.

>i can't prove nas is a great artist to my mom.

Why can't you? He has had an inarguable impact. Again, if the conversation is simply about what you like and what she likes, that's one thing. If the conversation shifts toward what makes an artist great within the context of what they do, then yes, you can prove that Nas is a great artist. I think racing fucking sucks, yet I could quantify why Dale Earnhardt Jr. is great at what he does. I still think racing specifically and car culture in general is unbelievably boring, stupid, and generally worthless, but I can accept that there is greatness to be found within the context of that culture.