Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNotre Dame football player (swipes)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12683057&mesg_id=12683155
12683155, Notre Dame football player (swipes)
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 11:30 AM
http://deadspin.com/bill-cosby-once-publicly-bullied-a-notre-dame-football-1661325778

Everyone now knows that Bill Cosby is an alleged serial rapist and an all-around sociopath, so it's not all that surprising to stumble across old newspaper articles, like this one, which reveal that Cosby has always been a shitbag.
The Undoing of Bill Cosby

The truth is, Bill Cosby stopped being funny a long time ago. Read more gawker.​com

In 1989, Cosby was invited to Notre Dame to speak to a group of about 50 black graduates. While speaking with the students, Cosby asked All-American tackle Dean Brown what his GPA was. When Brown told him it was a 2.5, Cosby proceeded to humiliate him in front of the other students and parents:

"What do you think of a 2.5 average?" Cosby asked.

"I think it's decent," replied Brown, who was recently drafted by pro football's Indianapolis Colts.

Cosby snarled back: "2.5 is OK if you have a mental disorder. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should have worked harder."

Tears streamed down the 290-lbs. Brown's face as he tried to defend himself: "I worked hard. I did my best..."

But Cosby cut him short. "You didn't do enough."

It's worth noting that Bill Cosby is a college dropout who earned a sham doctorate from UMass Amherst after becoming rich and famous.

Brown died suddenly in 2012 after a blood clot passed through his lung. Based on this Chicago Tribune article written shortly after his death, Brown was a good guy who was beloved by his teammates. He didn't end up playing pro football, but he did work in the education field, serving as a dean of students and a principal at schools in Washington D.C. and Cleveland. He and his brother had also planned to start a Saturday school and run a camping program for at-risk youths.

http://deadspin.com/the-nd-player-bill-cosby-berated-felt-like-a-failure-fo-1661591222

The ND Player Bill Cosby Berated Felt Like A Failure For Years Afterward
Tom_Ley
Tom Ley
ProfileFollow
Tom Ley
Filed to: bill cosby

dean brown
notre dame fighting irish
gettypic

11/21/14 10:58am

Share to Kinja
Share to Facebook
Share to Twitter
Go to permalink

The ND Player Bill Cosby Berated Felt Like A Failure For Years Afterward
Ads by Google
Mountain Living Studio
Art Gallery, Jewelry, Ceramic,Photo 100+ Artists! Manitou Springs, CO
facebook.com/pages

Yesterday, we told you about the time Bill Cosby acted like a dickbag and made a Notre Dame All-American football player named Dean Brown cry at his graduation in 1989. This morning, we received an email from a guy named Jerry Barca, who wrote a book about the 1988 Notre Dame season and saw firsthand just how deep and lasting Cosby's humiliation of Brown was.
Bill Cosby Once Publicly Bullied A Notre Dame Football Player To Tears

Everyone now knows that Bill Cosby is an alleged serial rapist and an all-around sociopath, so… Read more

Here's what Barca sent us:

Saw your piece on Cosby and Dean Brown. Just wanted to send you a little more detail on Dean and the impact of Cosby words on him. It stayed with him for years.

You're right that Dean was a good guy. His nickname on campus was "Big Happy." He also had some serious difficulties growing up. He watched his mother coughing up blood as she had a stroke in front of him when he was 4. His dad had already left by then. She couldn't work for years and was left with a permanent limp. He had no money. He hustled food stamps at 10. He'd collect the food stamps from people in the neighborhood, buy 25 cents of candy, give the food stamp recipient back 75 cents of change, that money was then spent at the liquor store. Dean would resell the candy at school at a marked up price… And his favorite show growing up? Fat Albert. That isn't some nice revisionist detail. He actually wrote that on a media guide questionnaire before his junior year. He was also very candid in saying he benefitted the most of any of his teammates by being at Notre Dame. So he starts on a national title team and then he's set to graduate a year later, a pretty monumental deal for him and Cosby berates him. When I spoke to Dean in 2012 for my book he said this: "I went a lot of years feeling like I was a failure, one because I didn't think I played long enough in the pros," Brown said. "And, there were times that anytime I heard Bill Cosby's name — it wasn't a cringe, but it was a heavy uneasiness about what had transpired."

Here we see the result of Bill Cosby's self-promotional politics. A guy who at the age of 21 had already accomplished and overcome more than Bill Cosby could have ever known gets made to feel like a failure for years and years because a rotten old college dropout whose insights on life boil down to "these black kids need to pull their damn pants up" decided to berate him. Fuck Bill Cosby.