Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCosby's academic credentials in question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12683057
12683057, Cosby's academic credentials in question
Posted by John Forte, Tue Dec-23-14 10:47 AM
Per Michael Eric Dyson, Cosby:

Dropped out of HS after failing 10th grade for the 3rd time

Got his GED in the Navy

Enrolled at Temple, but dropped out to pursue his show business career

Was granted his Bachelors for "life experience"

Apparently, he didn't take any classes for his doctorate and had Fat Albert writers pen his thesis

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20092196,00.html

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/232722/fat-albert-writer-bill-cosby-paid-others-to-write-his-ph-d-thesis/
12683062, i always thought he never finished his BA and the PhD was honorary
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-23-14 10:52 AM
was he any good as a fullback tho?
12683078, i thought it was honorary also...
Posted by luminous, Tue Dec-23-14 10:57 AM
12683082, +1. an unearned real degree seems more shady than
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 10:59 AM
an honorary degree, imo.

i'm not 100% sure i can articulate why.
12683099, Our school did something similar for Matt Lauer
Posted by Marbles, Tue Dec-23-14 11:05 AM

He left school a few credits (4 credits, I think) short of graduating. Years later, after he had become a big name journalist, they awarded him his degree. They said that the work he did during his career counted as an independent study which fulfilled the few credits he needed to graduate.
12683111, that's different though
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-23-14 11:11 AM
matt lauer is white.

jk, cmon, four credits is nothing, seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do.
12683156, LOL!
Posted by Marbles, Tue Dec-23-14 11:30 AM
>matt lauer is white.
>
>jk, cmon, four credits is nothing, seems like a pretty
>reasonable thing to do.

I agree. 4 credits for someone who is one of the top guys in his field is no big deal.

But I wonder how far away from a degree Cosby was?
12683140, that 1985 article is an eyebrow raiser
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 11:24 AM
he never finished his BA, but was allowed into a special program for "mature students", only had to go to one weekend-long seminar, and got class credit for being on the PBS kids' shows.
12683068, next thing you know the neighborhood kids who inspired Fat Albert
Posted by BigJazz, Tue Dec-23-14 10:55 AM
are gonna come out saying some crazy shit about Bill.

it's dog piling at this point...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...
12683086, ^^^^^^
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:00 AM

>it's dog piling at this point...

Yeah, everybody smells blood in the water.

I almost wished I believed in the Illuminati right now.
12683101, ^^^ I cracked up at this...
Posted by Marbles, Tue Dec-23-14 11:06 AM
12683128, RE: ^^^ I cracked up at this...
Posted by RaphaelSoulLee, Tue Dec-23-14 11:21 AM
I did too
12683285, Right, he's a comedian
Posted by Cam, Tue Dec-23-14 12:21 PM
So what!
12683074, okay, this makes sense
Posted by luminous, Tue Dec-23-14 10:57 AM
i always wondered how he got his PhD...
12683077, he claims my high school but never graduated
Posted by labcoat, Tue Dec-23-14 10:57 AM
*shrugs*

if you know him
then you know this
its not new news
12683089, It's not news at all.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:02 AM
And it's been covered by the media like 20+ years ago (apart from bitchass Sam Simon's new claims adding fuel to the fire).

Dyson's looking kinda bitchmade right now.
12683116, Hasn't Dyson been saying this for a while too?
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Dec-23-14 11:15 AM
It's not like he's presenting this stuff as new information. I'm pretty sure he wrote about this in his "Is Bill Cosby Right?" book.
12683137, He has.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:23 AM
But I'm referring to the new life it's been given on social media.

I guess that's just someone who pulled the info out of Dyson's book, though... I wasn't sure if Dyson "re-released" the info because he's been talking smack about Cosby lately too.

For what it's worth, though... I thought Dyson's book was itself bitchmade.
12683171, My father hates that he never mentions Germantown
Posted by Teknontheou, Tue Dec-23-14 11:36 AM
12683329, Central or Germantown?
Posted by Cam, Tue Dec-23-14 12:53 PM
12683408, central
Posted by labcoat, Tue Dec-23-14 01:38 PM
12683087, I heard his Hillman Diploma is fake as well
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-23-14 11:01 AM
12683096, lulz
Posted by luminous, Tue Dec-23-14 11:04 AM
12683113, this mf'er ain't even a real medical practitioner! fraud!
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-23-14 11:12 AM
12683117, I read a biography on Cosby a long time ago
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 11:15 AM
which went over his doctoral "studies" in part.

Even back then, it seemed like, considering he was working on a TV show that was still in production, he sure got his doctorate mad fast. Something didn't add up, even if his thesis revolved around the show...
12683135, why would anyone believe that doctorate was legit?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-23-14 11:22 AM
12683145, I figured we all figured someone'd say something
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 11:26 AM
because he stayed crediting himself in all 200 or so eps of "The Cosby Show" (and all 100+ eps of "A DIfferent World") as "William H. Cosby, Ed.D"
12683121, despite all that, STILL made it. they cant take that from him
Posted by Binlahab, Tue Dec-23-14 11:18 AM
idgaf

does it really matter?

for all my fans who keep my name in their mouth: http://i.imgur.com/v2xNOpS.jpg
12683122, let's not do this. not like this.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 11:18 AM
damn.

it's enough that the man is allegedly a creep and possibly a rapist.

leave the rest alone.
12683130, i feel you but after i read about that kid he shamed
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Dec-23-14 11:21 AM
and how that kid felt like shit for years and years after
cosby can go to hell
12683138, agreed.
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 11:23 AM
shaming that kid would've been unacceptable even if Cosby wasn't a fraud, but his bullshit hypocrisy makes it loads worse.
12683148, lol that's really what did him in
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Dec-23-14 11:26 AM
that was why hannibal cracked that joke
and it's why folks continue to dogpile

i mean yeah we are all hypocrites and im sure we can all be taken down by it one day so there's a lesson here.
12683142, What kid?
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Tue Dec-23-14 11:25 AM
>and how that kid felt like shit for years and years after
>cosby can go to hell
12683152, the death and taxes articles mentions it
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Dec-23-14 11:27 AM
but there were a few articles about it and one article where the kid-really a college graduate who cosby berated on his graduation day for having a 2.5 gpa and making the dude cry-said that he felt like shit for years after cosby did that

the dude died a few years ago
12683155, Notre Dame football player (swipes)
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 11:30 AM
http://deadspin.com/bill-cosby-once-publicly-bullied-a-notre-dame-football-1661325778

Everyone now knows that Bill Cosby is an alleged serial rapist and an all-around sociopath, so it's not all that surprising to stumble across old newspaper articles, like this one, which reveal that Cosby has always been a shitbag.
The Undoing of Bill Cosby

The truth is, Bill Cosby stopped being funny a long time ago. Read more gawker.​com

In 1989, Cosby was invited to Notre Dame to speak to a group of about 50 black graduates. While speaking with the students, Cosby asked All-American tackle Dean Brown what his GPA was. When Brown told him it was a 2.5, Cosby proceeded to humiliate him in front of the other students and parents:

"What do you think of a 2.5 average?" Cosby asked.

"I think it's decent," replied Brown, who was recently drafted by pro football's Indianapolis Colts.

Cosby snarled back: "2.5 is OK if you have a mental disorder. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should have worked harder."

Tears streamed down the 290-lbs. Brown's face as he tried to defend himself: "I worked hard. I did my best..."

But Cosby cut him short. "You didn't do enough."

It's worth noting that Bill Cosby is a college dropout who earned a sham doctorate from UMass Amherst after becoming rich and famous.

Brown died suddenly in 2012 after a blood clot passed through his lung. Based on this Chicago Tribune article written shortly after his death, Brown was a good guy who was beloved by his teammates. He didn't end up playing pro football, but he did work in the education field, serving as a dean of students and a principal at schools in Washington D.C. and Cleveland. He and his brother had also planned to start a Saturday school and run a camping program for at-risk youths.

http://deadspin.com/the-nd-player-bill-cosby-berated-felt-like-a-failure-fo-1661591222

The ND Player Bill Cosby Berated Felt Like A Failure For Years Afterward
Tom_Ley
Tom Ley
ProfileFollow
Tom Ley
Filed to: bill cosby

dean brown
notre dame fighting irish
gettypic

11/21/14 10:58am

Share to Kinja
Share to Facebook
Share to Twitter
Go to permalink

The ND Player Bill Cosby Berated Felt Like A Failure For Years Afterward
Ads by Google
Mountain Living Studio
Art Gallery, Jewelry, Ceramic,Photo 100+ Artists! Manitou Springs, CO
facebook.com/pages

Yesterday, we told you about the time Bill Cosby acted like a dickbag and made a Notre Dame All-American football player named Dean Brown cry at his graduation in 1989. This morning, we received an email from a guy named Jerry Barca, who wrote a book about the 1988 Notre Dame season and saw firsthand just how deep and lasting Cosby's humiliation of Brown was.
Bill Cosby Once Publicly Bullied A Notre Dame Football Player To Tears

Everyone now knows that Bill Cosby is an alleged serial rapist and an all-around sociopath, so… Read more

Here's what Barca sent us:

Saw your piece on Cosby and Dean Brown. Just wanted to send you a little more detail on Dean and the impact of Cosby words on him. It stayed with him for years.

You're right that Dean was a good guy. His nickname on campus was "Big Happy." He also had some serious difficulties growing up. He watched his mother coughing up blood as she had a stroke in front of him when he was 4. His dad had already left by then. She couldn't work for years and was left with a permanent limp. He had no money. He hustled food stamps at 10. He'd collect the food stamps from people in the neighborhood, buy 25 cents of candy, give the food stamp recipient back 75 cents of change, that money was then spent at the liquor store. Dean would resell the candy at school at a marked up price… And his favorite show growing up? Fat Albert. That isn't some nice revisionist detail. He actually wrote that on a media guide questionnaire before his junior year. He was also very candid in saying he benefitted the most of any of his teammates by being at Notre Dame. So he starts on a national title team and then he's set to graduate a year later, a pretty monumental deal for him and Cosby berates him. When I spoke to Dean in 2012 for my book he said this: "I went a lot of years feeling like I was a failure, one because I didn't think I played long enough in the pros," Brown said. "And, there were times that anytime I heard Bill Cosby's name — it wasn't a cringe, but it was a heavy uneasiness about what had transpired."

Here we see the result of Bill Cosby's self-promotional politics. A guy who at the age of 21 had already accomplished and overcome more than Bill Cosby could have ever known gets made to feel like a failure for years and years because a rotten old college dropout whose insights on life boil down to "these black kids need to pull their damn pants up" decided to berate him. Fuck Bill Cosby.
12683177, WOW! what a shit bag!! lisa bonet need to come on wit it
Posted by LAbeathustla, Tue Dec-23-14 11:37 AM
fuck that hush money... this nigga a snake ass nigga
12683208, smh you people fascinated by this Lisa Bonet fan fiction...
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:51 AM
It's kind of demented when you think about it...
12683214, as if Bill was dumb enough to shit where he ate.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 11:53 AM
puhleeze.

the man is apparently a low down dirty dog, but we can make that out of him w/o resorting to fantasy. the real allegations are enough.

12683215, I agree, consistently bringing up lisa bonet ignores
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Dec-23-14 11:53 AM
the many, many victims that have come forward and pretends they're not good enough for some reason.

thank you for pointing that out.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
12683223, fiction? pretty widely known out here playboy
Posted by LAbeathustla, Tue Dec-23-14 11:57 AM
12683234, what's widely known?
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:01 PM
12683243, there's long been rumors
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:03 PM
they've never been substantiated in any meaningful way, and in fact there has been considerable evidence to debunk them.

I don't know whether anything racy happened between Cos and Lisa but the obsession some folks have about it is sort of creepy, like they are panting and touching themselves over the prospect of the quasi-incestuous May-December tryst.
12683250, all of the rumors seem based on inaccurate info.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:07 PM
like they don't take into account the fact that Bonet RETURNED to TCS after she'd left ADW following its debut season.

she left again in 1991 after she'd returned.
12683257, *DING*
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:10 PM
12683247, nothing is known
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Dec-23-14 12:06 PM
the most "known" rumor, which is a rumor, is that cosby was on his moral high horse when lisa wanted to do angel heart and they fell out

now im all here for the other stuff but yeah folks are really hoping he was inappropriate with her.
12683254, And even that is (probably) not exactly true.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:10 PM
>the most "known" rumor, which is a rumor, is that cosby was
>on his moral high horse when lisa wanted to do angel heart and
>they fell out

http://vimeo.com/34414571

The reason she was fired from the show was not really about Angel Heart. It was because when she started fucking with Lenny, she started fucking up at work. And then she got pregnant just as they were building a new show about upright college students around her.

>now im all here for the other stuff but yeah folks are really
>hoping he was inappropriate with her.

That's the demented part. They are actively *hoping* that this woman was molested so as to fulfill some weird fantasy they're harboring within themselves.
12683258, and that AH rumor is bogus i think b/c
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:10 PM
she left ADW due to her pregnancy and had done AH around that time.

she came BACK to the show after that though. and then left again.

so if she and Bill disagreed about AH that disagreement didn't do irreparable damage to their working relationship.

it's always made more sense to me that she left that first time b/c the producers didn't want to work around her pregnancy nor did they want to incorporate it into either show's story lines.

12683267, true
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Dec-23-14 12:13 PM
12683563, You are correct
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 04:27 PM
Lisa Bonét left ADH to have her daughter, because the producers did not want to feature a pregnant Denise.

She also did not get ADW specifically because of Angel Heart. ADW was being piloted before "Angel Heart" was out of post-production.
12683194, just think how badly that dude could have bodied him, too
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-23-14 11:45 AM
12683200, none of that means his UMass degree ain't legit.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 11:47 AM
it does mean he's been a mean-spirited old coot for quite some time. but it doesn't mean he didn't earn his credentials.
12683229, sure, but in my opinion it's more reprehensible if his diplomas
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 11:59 AM
are bogus.
12683235, so far there's nothing credible suggesting his degrees aren't
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:01 PM
legit.
12683219, gotdamn Bill ain't shit...
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-23-14 11:56 AM
12683260, Damn!!!! That was awful. nm
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Tue Dec-23-14 12:11 PM
12683273, what if it motivated him?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Dec-23-14 12:17 PM
12683315, That's a relevant question.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:44 PM
Reports say dude felt like a failure for years after but went on to become an educator himself after he failed to make it in the NFL.

Who's to say that Cos didn't give him that extra motivation to make something of himself academically--even if the reinforcement was negative?
12683324, it is - for Cosby apologists, especially.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:49 PM
i'm not one so maybe that's why i don't care whether that motivated homeboy. Cos, being the professional educator he is, could've and should've found a different and better and less hurtful way to motivate the young man. so even if that awful behavior did motivate the young man it wasn't right of Cos and doesn't excuse the awfulness.

and if that had motivated the young man i bet he'd have said so yrs later when he spoke about the incident. he didn't say he was motivated by it. he said for yrs he cringed when he heard Cosby's name.

most likely the young man was already pretty motivated - he'd made it to Notre Dame and played football and was graduating. he was already fairly uncommonly motivated. most likely he succeeded DESPITE what Cos did, not b/c of it.

much like those of us who were beaten or otherwise abused by our parents tend to succeed (if we do) DESPITE the abuse and not b/c of it. w/o the abuse we'd likely be better off.
12683339, Mind you, I'm not saying it was the *right* thing to do.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:59 PM
I'm certainly not suggesting it was a *nice* thing to do.

But it is what it is.

I'm less invested in defending Cosby's conduct than I am in critiquing the response to it on the Internet where it often seems that like 70% of the content therein is dedicated to snark and humiliation of innocent people in general.

(That being said, American kids are way soft and we as a culture have come to worry way too much about protecting their "self-esteem." If Cos and the kid had been Chinese, nobody would probably think twice about it)
12683351, . . .
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 01:03 PM
>(That being said, American kids are way soft and we as a
>culture have come to worry way too much about protecting their
>"self-esteem." If Cos and the kid had been Chinese, nobody
>would probably think twice about it)

your Nigeria is showing.

and if Cos and the kid had been Chinese it'd be just another example of how awful and rigid ppl can be and how glad i am/we are to not live as they do.
12683356, Fair enough.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 01:05 PM
>your Nigeria is showing.
>
>and if Cos and the kid had been Chinese it'd be just another
>example of how awful and rigid ppl can be and how glad i am/we
>are to not live as they do.
>
12684426, Agreed here:
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Dec-25-14 09:29 AM
>Cos, being the professional educator he
>is, could've and should've found a different and better and
>less hurtful way to motivate the young man.
12684427, Agreed here:
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Dec-25-14 09:29 AM
>Cos, being the professional educator he
>is, could've and should've found a different and better and
>less hurtful way to motivate the young man.
12683818, man-- speechless
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Dec-24-14 09:38 AM
The rape allegations are serious of course, but this is really messed up too. 2.5 isn't that bad or bad at all and it's all arbitrary scoring anyway. I feel for that man.

12683149, not like this.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 11:26 AM
the WaPo article is a fluff piece w/no info. it has no teeth.

it's mean-spirited gossip that simply regurgitates old news.

there's no there there.
12683151, The media is propagating a lot of fake outrage over this.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:27 AM
>and how that kid felt like shit for years and years after
>cosby can go to hell

For real... it's funny to me to see all these people on Black Twitter getting on their moral high horses to weep about how terrible Cos was to make that boy feel like shit when all *they* do all day is clown, bully and humiliate people themselves.

Ditto for an outlet like Deadspin which was one of the first to blow oxygen into the story. They need to GTFO with that bullshit.
12683227, you can't compare Black Twitter to Bill Cosby dude
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-23-14 11:58 AM
there is no way you can defend what Bill did to that kid.
12683231, I can't defend Black Twitter either.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:00 PM
>there is no way you can defend what Bill did to that kid.

I'm not saying either one of them is right... they're both horrible, shitty entities.

But it's just amusing to me to see one of them getting all moralistic about what a piece of shit Cosby is for telling a student he should have studied harder while their whole timeline is them LOLing over pics of people's kids.
12683256, Cosby snarked this kid on his graduation day
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-23-14 12:10 PM
in person...

in front of other people.

he made that student cry.

For what?

12683263, and Black Twitter humiliates and dogpiles on people every day
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:12 PM
Online.

In front of MILLIONS of people.

On the Internet.

Where everything lives forever.

People are known to have committed suicide after being ridiculed on social media.

Your point?
12683289, lol..you reachin man....it's pretty pitiful you using all these
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Dec-23-14 12:24 PM
machinations to be a Cosby apologist...

12683300, How am I reaching?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:35 PM
So everybody wants to climb that high moral ground by talking about how terrible Cosby is for telling a student he should have studied harder.

Fair enough.

But then those same people are dogpiling and ridiculing people on social media... hell, even here on this very forum, folks are posting up photos and videos of innocent, unknowing people just for LOLz

What exactly is the difference, pray tell.

I made reference to the hypocrisy of outlets like Deadspin who got all lachrymose over Cosby's "bullying" of this innocent student. To the point where they even ended their article with the words "Fuck Bill Cosby"

http://deadspin.com/the-nd-player-bill-cosby-berated-felt-like-a-failure-fo-1661591222

But Deadspin is the same site the enjoys reaping click-revenue from articles like this:

http://deadspin.com/5943639/nsfw-at-yankee-stadium-yesterday-two-fans-went-at-it-in-a-bathroom-stall-for-about-three-innings

The father of the girl in question begged them to remove the video and they refused.

So exactly where is Deadspin's moral high ground coming from here?

isn't Deadpin the same site that routinely makes fun of athletes, calling them dumb and shit like that? But y'know... Cosby is a monster for telling a kid he should have worked harder.

Fuck outta here... y'all stay getting manipulated by the damn media.

12683309, equating randoms shit-talking on the internet to
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 12:39 PM
one of a person's heroes belittling him on his graduation day in front of family and friends is reaching.

12683313, it's the media outrage though.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:41 PM
Black Twitter acting mad about Cos shaming the young man when Black Twitter shames ppl regularly.

Deadspin getting outraged over Cos shaming the young man when Deadspin shames ppl on its website - even after they ask for the shaming story to be removed.

that's the point here.
12683318, thank you. nm
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:45 PM
12683322, expecting as much or more ideological consistency
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 12:48 PM
from deadspin as your Notre Dame graduation speaker = more reaching.
12683327, sure, fella.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 12:50 PM
sure.
12683334, i mean if you want to excuse Cosby for belittling a kid
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 12:56 PM
on his graduation day because Deadspin posted a video of people fucking in a bathroom, that's your right.

pretty strange position to take, but have fun there.
12683352, thankfully that's not what i'm trying to do.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 01:04 PM
and my replies in here prove that point.

so good luck ducking out of this by trying that spin. that dog's not gonna hunt, holmes.

i'll restate my position for convenience:

- Cos shaming that young man was awful

- there's no credible proof that Cos's degrees are bogus

- Cos is at minimum a creep and likely a rapist

12683363, what am i ducking out of exactly?
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 01:09 PM
deadspin can't rightly call out Cosby for something he did assholish while also being assholes themselves?

Because unless you're claiming Deadspin made the shit up, the actions speak for themselves.

The only spinning here is the idea that a media outlet that publishes reprehensible content is somehow unable to accurately point out others assholery in other unrelated content.

12683373, please don't care.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Dec-23-14 01:18 PM
Really.
12683380, lol
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 01:21 PM
solid edit
12683328, I expect ideological consistency and morality from HUMAN BEINGS
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 12:50 PM
Period.

Seems to me that you're the one who is really reaching and contorting yourself to avoid making contact with a very clear and basic point here.
12683331, your basic point is what? exactly?
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 12:54 PM
one deadspin writer can't take a position that something bill cosby did is reprehensible because other deadspin postings are themselves reprehensible?

12683343, If you read my posts, you would know my point.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 01:01 PM
I've had to repeat myself too much already and I'm not gonna do it again.

If you don't get the point, then go ahead and just let it slide. I'm sure nothing will be lost from your day.
12683353, Your point is that people who make fun of people on the internet
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 01:05 PM
can't find it outrageous that a successful and culturally important person who was invited to speak at a college kid's graduation would make fun of that kid on his graduation day in front of family and friends with any ideological consistency because sometimes they make fun of people on the internet, which is pretty much the same.

That's a shitty point.
12683514, no you don't... you're only pulling out that card against those who
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Dec-23-14 03:32 PM
are calling Cosby out..

Was Bill Cosby ideologically consistent and moral???

hell no he wasn't...

yet you're trying all you can to give him a pass for it..

nigga quit trying to act like your plea coping for Cosby has some standard to you....

12683333, since you broke it down that way...
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-23-14 12:55 PM
The twitterers are a bunch of horrible people AND a bunch of pussies. At least Cos "put his name on it"
12683337, ah yes, the courageous stance of belittling a college kid
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 12:58 PM
for his grades when you're there as the invited speaker at his college graduation.

Cosby put his name on it.

How bold of him.
12683345, I'm only following your line of logic to the furthest extent, sugardoll
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-23-14 01:01 PM
>for his grades when you're there as the invited speaker at
>his college graduation.
>
>Cosby put his name on it.
>
>How bold of him.
12683349, And your logic got you to calling me sugardoll
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 01:02 PM
and that actually not being the stupidest fucking thing you wrote.

Well done.
12683360, I'm okay with being "stupid"
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-23-14 01:07 PM
>and that actually not being the stupidest fucking thing you
>wrote.
>
>Well done.

I'm just comparing the twitterers and Cos like you did. I just went further and arrived at the conclusion that Cos is better. Just like you went down a different path and came up with the tweeters being better. Let go of the snark and open up.
12683365, right. because he "put his name on it"
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 01:10 PM
like there wasn't an absurd power dynamic where the All American tackle couldn't knock the graduation speaker on his ass for talking shit or even verbally defend himself.

The logical end was he "put his name on it." Nothing else to consider after that. Good grief.
12683393, there's an absurd power dynamic on twitter
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-23-14 01:29 PM
Probably several: groupthink, poor mass communication

People put words in others' mouths on twitter all the time, as well as dogpile.

They're both bad, but anonymity doesn't make Cos any worse in the case of this football player being publicly berated.

Is there anything else I am wrong about?
12683513, the nigga been trying to take the moral high ground for years
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Dec-23-14 03:29 PM
over Black people, while his shit was dirty as hell...

when you do that..particularly in a public manner...you should expect your dirty to come out in a public manner..

that's the bottom line.... you can be mad about it all you want.... but the fact of the matter is Bill Cosby is a fukkin hypocritical elitist ass Nig-gro whose shit is getting exposed...

12683530, It's like the preacher who gets caught with his pants down
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Dec-23-14 03:48 PM
you can't play the moral high ground while being a dirty dog...

12683584, The issue is not about Bill Cosby's moral high ground.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 04:41 PM
It's about the media (both traditional and social) pointing out the speck in Bill Cosby's eyes while missing the log in theirs.

I don't expect you to understand that, though.
12683598, it is about Bill Cosby's moral high ground..
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Dec-23-14 04:52 PM
you do want to make it about that so you're on all this other insignificant bullshit...

now that Bill Cosby is coming under scrutiny..you throwing out this bs that media usually ignores scandalous shit..but now they want to go at Cosby..

dude...there are entire industries based upon the dissemination of people's bs...their dirt... millions of dollars are made on that today... in fact..that industry has basically pushed entire forms of entertainment out of the way and replaced it with gossip/scandal/ratchedness exploitation.....

the media isn't ignoring anything...

they are reporting on scandal of one of the most famous people on earth.... and those who were offended by that person's holier than thou disrespectful comdemnation of people are now seeing him as a hypocrite....

you can talk about what the media is or isn't doing...but they make money off scandal..and this is a scandal..

they ain't invent this shit just to go at Cosby...lol..

this is the game as it is today....

Cosby should have played the shit safer for himself, and spend some of that energy he spent telling people to pull their pants up, and say that shit to his damn self...

12683241, NOPE. put it all out. he deserves it.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Dec-23-14 12:03 PM
12683378, ..
Posted by Case_One, Tue Dec-23-14 01:20 PM
12683379, He deserves it? Really? How so?
Posted by Case_One, Tue Dec-23-14 01:20 PM

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."
12683742, he brought this on himself. always on his muthafuckin high horse
Posted by exactopposite, Tue Dec-23-14 11:11 PM
He stayed on his respectability politics talkin shit about how people need to pull their pants up and all manner of other bullshit about black families, single parents, etc. As if he got all the answers. All he had to do was make jokes and shut the fuck up but NOOOOOOO he had to run off at the damn mouth about everymuthafuckinthing.

The hypocrisy is so immense. This is just chickens coming home to roost.

12683127, this tweet made me LOL
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Dec-23-14 11:21 AM
https://twitter.com/ChristPuncher2/status/545389417557680129
12683158, lmao
Posted by 2.tears.in.a.bucket, Tue Dec-23-14 11:32 AM
12683164, omg me too!
Posted by Damali, Tue Dec-23-14 11:34 AM
somebody just came in my office and asked if i was ok and that it sounded like i was crying
12683199, hahahaha im dyin
Posted by sndesai1, Tue Dec-23-14 11:47 AM
12683335, lmao
Posted by Zion3Lion, Tue Dec-23-14 12:56 PM
12683146, how the fuck you fail the 10th grade three times???
Posted by MrThomas43423, Tue Dec-23-14 11:26 AM

---------------------------------------
it's true what they say...people are strange, when you're strangers.

not compassionate....only polite.

I am not like you at all and i cannot pretend.
12683159, and i'm sure he had his pants pulled up and spoke the kings
Posted by ambient1, Tue Dec-23-14 11:33 AM
english and his 2 parent household
12684271, ^^^^ether
Posted by realityrap, Wed Dec-24-14 07:52 PM
12683154, ya'll really want to delve into the lives of comedians?
Posted by Mgmt, Tue Dec-23-14 11:30 AM
we can pull up some really reprehensible behavior for a week's worth of threads

"pull your pants up" shouldn't have struck this sensitive of a nerve for this long
12683172, don't know if: dr. huxtable or dr. nick
Posted by 2.tears.in.a.bucket, Tue Dec-23-14 11:36 AM

:-(

shit is sad, man
12683191, Hi, everybody! Now all you ladies take these happy sleepy time pills ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-23-14 11:44 AM
and we'll see where this degree from Hollywood Upstairs Medical College takes us ...
12683198, lol - life is fucking wild.
Posted by 2.tears.in.a.bucket, Tue Dec-23-14 11:46 AM
12683175, At this point
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Dec-23-14 11:37 AM
I wonder what kind of bubble Cosby lives in and how aware/unaware he is of the dog piling that's going on. Seems unrelenting at this point. I have to think him and/or his handlers are hoping folks will just want to ignore him at some point.
12683188, He's very much aware of all of it.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:42 AM
His scant public statements have referenced some of it very specifically.
12683210, he's continued to perform
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Dec-23-14 11:52 AM
so clearly he's not that eager to go away.

what afkap won't say

is that the flashpoint for this whole thing is cosb'ys meme contest.

it wasn't hannibal.

hannibal made it bubble again, as it has several times over the years. it had gotten some mainstream media attention.

but it was fading out again.

and then cosby's twitter account decided it was time to do a meme generator.

in the middle of this shit.

LOL

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
12683228, uh... what does this have to do with me?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-23-14 11:58 AM
and more importantly, how is an argument over what the "flashpoint" was relevant to the question that was being asked here?

(For the record, the REAL flashpoint was neither Hannibal nor the meme contest... it was Janice)
12683358, I wont be surprised if Cos kicked the bucket one of these days
Posted by melmag, Tue Dec-23-14 01:05 PM
either by suicide, heartbreak or sheer depression. similar to Joe Pa @ Penn St.

I mean, to hv such an illustrious career as he does only to have it
crumble down to this is just too much.
12683402, i thought about that too. all this shit gotta be HEAVY stress on
Posted by mikediggz, Tue Dec-23-14 01:32 PM
dude...it could definitely be cuttin down the time he has left
12683477, Joe Pa was "beloved" and uncontroversial. that scandal caught him flatfooted
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Tue Dec-23-14 02:42 PM
To see his life's legacy go up in smoke that quickly had to be psychologically jarring.

Cosby's been beating back this shit for over a decade, and if he actually did some of these things, he's probably imagined far worse repercussions than he's actually facing.

I mean, after all this shit, he ain't going to face an legal actions unless those child abuse allegations actually stick. Facing prison time at his age would probably take it's toll... but short of that, I think he'll mostly remain unfazed.
12683529, i mean he also had lung cancer, so there's that.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Dec-23-14 03:47 PM
12683589, He died of a broken heart. Or maybe lung cancer.
Posted by veritas, Tue Dec-23-14 04:43 PM
Kinda the same.
12683749, a 70+ year old black man? he arleady beat the odds
Posted by exactopposite, Tue Dec-23-14 11:59 PM
12683492, Off topic: You could Scrape Michael Eric Dyson off the bottom of your shoe
Posted by DVS, Tue Dec-23-14 02:59 PM
it's like that nigga looked at the entire Civil Rights struggle and was like

".......JESSE JACKSON!!! HOW CAN I BE A LESS IMPORTANT YET EQUALLY REVILED JESSE JACKSON?!?"

D
12683503, Never seen people this happy about a black man with no education
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Tue Dec-23-14 03:14 PM
12683525, Glasshouses
Posted by lfresh, Tue Dec-23-14 03:44 PM
Chickens roosting
Ecetera
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12683741, Basically
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Tue Dec-23-14 11:06 PM
>Chickens roosting
>Ecetera

Essentially
Etcetera
12683714, next y'all gon be tellin me dude from UTFO ain't a real doctor either
Posted by homer_pimpson225, Tue Dec-23-14 09:08 PM
But the nigga had a white coat and a stethoscope.

I seent that shit!
12684424, RE: next y'all gon be tellin me dude from UTFO ain't a real doctor either
Posted by TR808, Thu Dec-25-14 08:56 AM
>But the nigga had a white coat and a stethoscope.
>
>I seent that shit!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DOCTOR ICE!!!!!!
12683744, Also, the shade on all Ed PhD's was hilarious
Posted by Sarah_Bellum, Tue Dec-23-14 11:43 PM
I know a lot of PhDs look at folks with doctorates in educations with full side eye but you rarely hear about it in public.

DJTB YOMM
12684419, Haha!! We really do
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Thu Dec-25-14 07:06 AM
A lot of Principal's in Philly get Ed.D from Penn. I just look at them like please!
12683745, Also, the shade on all Ed PhD's was hilarious
Posted by Sarah_Bellum, Tue Dec-23-14 11:43 PM
I know a lot of PhDs look at folks with doctorates in educations with full side eye but you rarely hear about it in public.

DJTB YOMM
12683825, I see that people are going to sytematically dismantle Cosby
Posted by Case_One, Wed Dec-24-14 09:53 AM

"America, stop turning our Court Houses of Justice into Dens for Justified Murderers."
12684208, Don't matter who said it
Posted by TR808, Wed Dec-24-14 05:18 PM
or if you want to point fingers at other peoples dirty laundry it doesnt change the fact that Bill Cosby was dirty for doing that on dudes graduation
12684283, I just read about him dissing the kid at his graduation
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Wed Dec-24-14 08:54 PM
fukk cosby..

really..

12684435, So no one spoke up to defend Dean Brown when Cosby
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Thu Dec-25-14 10:18 AM
was berating him at the graduation?

That was so unnecessary from Cosby. And I think it's sad how we dick ride.

This should be a wakeup call, people need to stop all this celebrity worshiping. Cosby got a free pass to do anything.