Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFocus: Staring 'Will Smith'. I just noticed the date. so Im just late,. but..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12682694
12682694, Focus: Staring 'Will Smith'. I just noticed the date. so Im just late,. but..
Posted by DavidHasselhoff, Mon Dec-22-14 04:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxCRgtdAuBo

I predict anger from some..
12682964, I feel like Will Smith has painted himself into a corner.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Dec-23-14 09:40 AM
When he turned down Django because he didn't think the role would sufficiently "star" him I was wondering what type of roles would he be picking going forward.

Seems like he is kind stuck in a Hitch mode where he has to be the coolest customer on the screen.

That can get boring quick.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/
12731300, he's gone from Actor to Movie Star
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Feb-19-15 10:40 AM
Daniel Day-Lewis is an Actor, you watch his movies and get lost in the role, and feel that he's the character.

Tom Cruise is a Movie Star, no matter what role he's playing, you never lose sight of the fact that it's Tom Cruise.

It's the difference between "Hey, you wanna go see Ali (which stars Will Smith)" and "Hey, you wanna go see that new Will Smith movie (where he plays Muhammad Ali)."
12737246, Agreed. But how come some actors are lauded for this tipping point?
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Thu Feb-26-15 10:51 PM
I think it's lame.

Pacino is always Pacino. I feel like Mugatu when I watch him.
12746414, Simple
Posted by KosherSam, Tue Mar-10-15 01:14 AM
Once you reach that tipping point, it means that people will go see a movie simply because you're in it. Before you reach that point, they have to first be interested in the movie, and secondarily be interested in the fact that you're in it.

(up until Focus bombed) People saw that a new Will Smith movie was coming out, and they were ready to buy tickets. That wasn't the case when Independence Day came out, they got interested because of the alien invasion, and then later were like "hey, will smith was awesome in that. i'd see him in another action movie without hesitation."
12746433, But still, why is that a good thing?
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Tue Mar-10-15 03:02 AM
If you notice, that public opinion shift is generally how flops happen. Suddenly, projects get greenlit because of who is attached to them instead of their compelling content.

People still rave about Heat because of the "intensity" of the actors. But go watch Righteous Kill. I'll wait.
12746469, yeah that hand gets overplayed
Posted by lfresh, Tue Mar-10-15 07:24 AM
>If you notice, that public opinion shift is generally how
>flops happen. Suddenly, projects get greenlit because of who
>is attached to them instead of their compelling content.
>
>People still rave about Heat because of the "intensity" of the
>actors. But go watch Righteous Kill. I'll wait.

Dicaprio is a good example
People are actually going to see dicaprio playing a role at this point

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12749960, It's a good thing for the actor, because he gets paid more
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Mar-12-15 03:03 PM
when you reach that level, you have way more leverage when negotiating the contract because people are coming to the film to see YOU. That's usually why a big deal gets made about someone reaching that level, because they reach the upper stratosphere of pay grades. Same reason we celebrate basketball players getting max contracts, even if half of them disappoint once they get it.
12737249, he's gone from rapper to Movie Star
Posted by rdhull, Thu Feb-26-15 10:58 PM
12749969, yeah Denzel is pretty much Denzel in everything he's in, lol
Posted by Billy Ray Valentine, Thu Mar-12-15 03:13 PM
12683004, trailer is old but it doesn't come out until the end of Feb
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Dec-23-14 10:20 AM
so you're good.

looks a dreadful bore tho
12683036, not really...i hadn't seen it any any movie previews..looks boring
Posted by Calico, Tue Dec-23-14 10:35 AM
...really boring....i wonder what made him do this movie??
12683039, hmm was the female lead conning him the whole time?
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Tue Dec-23-14 10:37 AM
12683317, Margot Robbie is a spiritual experience
Posted by astralblak, Tue Dec-23-14 12:45 PM
and yeah I'm in

and Wil better get to smash in the narrative of the movie
12731934, ^^Focus(ed)
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Feb-19-15 05:10 PM
12731238, Will Smith Back Y'all!!!!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-19-15 09:58 AM
So I read this new Esquire interview of Will Smith expecting him to be on some scientology type "I’m a student of patterns. At heart, I’m a physicist" type quotables but dude was totally off that.

He was as humble as I have ever heard him speak. Even talked alot about commitment to service to others and his little baptist grandma as an idol. Good Read.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/interviews/a9938/will-smith-interview-0315/

I've been up and down with Will Smith. First rap album I bought myself so once he was my favorite MC. Then I thought he got a bad rap because black folks turned on him when he started talking respectability politics (I always found it interesting that some black folks will turn on you quicker for saying "rappers shouldn't curse so much" than for, say, being accused of rape.)

But dude completely lost me when he started sounding like Tom Cruise. Anyway, sounds like the failure of beyond earth knocked some sense into him.

The healthy ego is still there, but dude navigated questions about ferguson and struggle pretty well. None of that all you have to do is Will success and it will happen type talk.

I wonder how important this movie being a success is for his career going forward?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12731272, shit looks boring and awful...
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Feb-19-15 10:20 AM
I hope it does well because I like Will as an actor.

12731292, Meh, it looks like it will come down to execution.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-19-15 10:34 AM
If reviews say it's good, I could check it out. If reviews say it's garbage, I won't.

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12731322, that has redbox written all over it.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Feb-19-15 11:04 AM
12731531, Just make Bad Boys 3 already nobody wants to see anything else
Posted by Heinz, Thu Feb-19-15 01:24 PM

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z
12731912, Martin ain't Martin no more. They'd probably find a way to cast K. Hart
Posted by Overqualified, Thu Feb-19-15 04:55 PM
n/m
12732167, He wasnt no Martin in 2 tho
Posted by Heinz, Thu Feb-19-15 11:23 PM
its not like he was outlandish in that movie. He was pretty tame to me and it was still a great movie

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z
12731542, RE: Focus: Staring 'Will Smith'. I just noticed the date. so Im just late,. but..
Posted by double 0, Thu Feb-19-15 01:29 PM
He needs a franchise...

Robert Downey got Iron Man, Sherlock

Tom Cruise got Mission Impossible..

Brad and George had the Oceans Movies..

When you scale that big you need a massive vehicle..

12731732, Not sure why he tried to create a new super hero...
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Feb-19-15 03:03 PM
that shit was awful.

I thought they would have an Independence Day trilogy when it first came out.
12731777, MIB isn't a franchise???
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Thu Feb-19-15 03:30 PM
Last I checked Men In Black was 3 flicks deep with a cartoon series.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D
12731919, RE: MIB isn't a franchise???
Posted by double 0, Thu Feb-19-15 05:00 PM
yes.. you are correct

but unless he is doing MIB4 he needs something new
12732065, And you used Sherlock and MI as examples?
Posted by Mgmt, Thu Feb-19-15 08:05 PM
>yes.. you are correct
>
>but unless he is doing MIB4 he needs something new
12738118, RE: And you used Sherlock and MI as examples?
Posted by double 0, Fri Feb-27-15 06:26 PM
There are very few actors in the 20 million a movie club..

Tom is one of them.. and MI has 5 movies thus far
12732174, forgot all about MIB
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Feb-19-15 11:42 PM
12732159, RE: Focus: Staring 'Will Smith'. I just noticed the date. so Im just late,. but..
Posted by murph71, Thu Feb-19-15 10:49 PM

Smith will be one of the 2 centerpiece characters in DC's upcoming Suicide Squad....

He's already plotting his next "franchise".....And this may work out considering that his character is one of the most notorious (cool) villains in the DC universe....
12738115, his franchi$e/formula was:him, outerspace/future, nonhuman foil/sidekick
Posted by Riot, Fri Feb-27-15 06:24 PM
based on what he found where the similarities among the highest grossing movies of all time. so according to plan, we got-

ID4
MIB, MIB2, MIB3
iROBOT
I AM legend
passed on the matrix
hancock

then After earth bombed, so maybe he's moving away from that formula for a while
12746470, Good point
Posted by lfresh, Tue Mar-10-15 07:26 AM
>based on what he found where the similarities among the
>highest grossing movies of all time. so according to plan, we
>got-
>
>
>ID4
>MIB, MIB2, MIB3
>iROBOT
>I AM legend
>passed on the matrix
>hancock
>
>then After earth bombed, so maybe he's moving away from that
>formula for a while
>

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12732161, yall crazy, this looks good
Posted by rdhull, Thu Feb-19-15 10:54 PM
12737043, Saw this shit last night. Mos def see this this weekend
Posted by bwood, Thu Feb-26-15 05:23 PM
It's entertaining as fuck. And hella fun. Will Smith back.
12738064, I'm surprised no outrage Willy don't be having black leading ladies
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Feb-27-15 05:10 PM
these days.

12738071, "These days"?
Posted by nipsey, Fri Feb-27-15 05:16 PM
Has he ever? Yes, he's had movies where he had a black wife or S.O., but in none of those movies were the black women, what I call "leading lady". Meaning they didn't get shine or equal billing to Will. I can't believe all the TV ads for "Focus" are practically giving Margo Robbie equal billing to Will. Based off of what? One film? Tell me why that role could not have gone to a person of color. It's not like she's a household name herself.
12738109, hollywood formula is known. black star + costar makes it a "black film"
Posted by Riot, Fri Feb-27-15 06:14 PM
which "the masses" aka yt wont go see

it can do numbers but not THEM numbers

allegedly

this was "exposed" during hitch, so i guess folk just shrug abt it at this point
12750054, I enjoyed this on date night.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Mar-12-15 03:53 PM
A little derivative but that's okay. Wish there was another black person in it but yeah whatever.

If you liked Hitch you will like this.