Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectno prob. it all starts with breaking down a major goal
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12682494&mesg_id=12682982
12682982, no prob. it all starts with breaking down a major goal
Posted by double negative, Tue Dec-23-14 09:57 AM
religiously sticking to a goal for a single year is like running a marathon without training. You are bound to hurt yourself and become deeply disappointed.

The year can be conveniently broken up into quarters and so I have a hierarchy of goals because of the way a year can break down.

1 year: satisfies major themes, large abstract concepts, think more abstract while being less specific (long distance)
3 months: attainable, potentially challenging tangible goals. this is where the work happens with making BIG goals happen (middle distance)
1 month: very short sprints (short distance)
Weeks: micro sprints.

Day by day stuff is kind of done while you live your life but an interesting thing happens when you have a quarter goal in place; you start to focus your daily energy into completing the goal.

So the nuts and bolts of it is that I have my life divided into a few preselected channels that I focus on currently my channels are:

*Previous Quarter reflection (what happened, what worked, what didn't work)

*Finance (money stuff, obvi)

*Home (status of the house I live in, is it stable? is it not? what big ticket items might I want? what needs work?)

*Social (just making sure I'm reaching out to old connections or building new ones)

*Organizational (work, work and work stuff, what do I want to accomplish? how will I accomplish it?)

*Enrichment (the mind, the body)

Up coming Quarter projection (where MIGHT I want to go after this quarter wraps up?)

At the start of every quarter I have a text document that is created where it is "living". When a fresh quarter begins I outline where I've been, what I am going to do in the quarter and where I might go with the next one.
I mention the "living" aspect of the document because it is an ongoing process of looking back and forward in time to make the most informed decision.

another aspect of this exercise is that it acts as a safe zone to try out potential moves/ideas/decisions because you are forced to think things through before doing them.

The written word is very very very powerful. I believe in it. Just about everything I have written HAS HAPPENED. It is so powerful that I have actually been a bit hesitant about putting the next phase in motion because Im having a good time being lazy. Once you start the process the ball just picks up speed quickly and before you know it you are doing things you never thought you would be doing.