Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwhat you're talking about is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12680215&mesg_id=12681688
12681688, what you're talking about is
Posted by Jon, Sun Dec-21-14 09:42 AM
some other magical shit, not culture.

Ancestral memory and all that is a remote possibility that I'm willing to entertain sometimes but only so far. We all have ancestors and roots that we feel a special connection to, but if I spend my life doing something totally different from what they did, what they did is not my culture. What I did is. Because what their ancestors did differed from the culture described in what they did. They still could always have an effect on how I feel and operate but its more esoteric.

Everything you're saying requires blind trust in quasi-spiritual presumptions about what ancestral feelings are necessary to birth a hip-hop element like rapping or graffiti and whether anyone with those same ancestral roots would therefore receive credit for the work of Kool Herc and Coke La Rock.

I guess all the early Greek, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Chinese etc co-pioneers of hip-hop elements in the late 60s and early 70s had no idea why they were even doing this since Pharoahe Monch's grandfather wasn't in their hemoglobin.