Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: cant reply to u guys above in depth right now, but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12680215&mesg_id=12681494
12681494, RE: cant reply to u guys above in depth right now, but
Posted by Sarah_Bellum, Sat Dec-20-14 07:14 PM
My response wasn't about Iggy as much as it was about you and how you brought up your stake and claim into hip-hop and brought out the old manifest destiny to claim it for the world.

>There are some bad analogies imo going on regarding
>"outsiders" claiming ownership from "insiders" of a culture.
>
>First,
>
>She's upset to the point of tears that white ppl are rapping
>and receiving awards.

There is a long history of the Grammys preferencing white artist awards for doing black music while shunning black folks from rap to r&b to hip-hop. Award shows, just like the music industry is highly radicalized and anti-black to boot. Yes, even in the rap category.

>Not a single one of them ever told her "Hip-hop is mine, back
>off, its not yours"
>
>So the analogies of telling Italian ppl in their home to step
>out of the kitchen so you can show them how spaghetti is made
>is not what's going on here. What's going on is you decide to
>bottle your mom's "famous" pasta sauce, people LOVE it and
>then random 20-y/o italian chicks on Long Island start blaming
>you for stealing their creation.

Listen if people only love your "moms famous sauce" only because a non-italian face is on the package and they think that non-italian face makes it taste better, even when it's a shitty sauce.... It's fair game for 20 y/0 italians girls to say, that is fucked up. That's what happens here! Elvis mimics little Richards and black blues singers and the world eats it up, not because Elvis is better or the originator but because he's white!

But my reference to Italians was more about your multiculti fantasy where rap is not black culture. It makes you feel good to believe that but it's not true. He helps you jump from participant to originator... it's self serving. The whole point is that although my black ass family has been making spaghetti for over 70 years, yet it never becomes a black thing or a multi-cultural thing... it remains Italian. I can't say... hey this sauce isn't italian because I've been participating in it. That would be silly. That's what you're doing with hip hop.

>She's pretty explicit in saying hip-hop should be racially
>exclusive. Which brings me to...
>
>Second, people are conflating the elements of hip-hop with the
>entirety of the black experience. So speaking english poetry
>in rhythmical patterns is claiming ownership of the black
>experience.

No, doing it as a response to lived black life and collective black experience is. Founding a whole genre of music on that lived black collective experience is black culture. That's what separates hip-hop from Edgar Allan Poe.

>Scratching records is claiming ownership of the
>black experience.

No, you don't get scratching as you know it without the black experience. You don't get breaking, you don't get any of it.

Graf, Breaking, etc. How is even this the
>case when the elements themselves were born in a multiracial
>context?

My brother, my brother... you may want to live in your multiculti world where everything black belongs to everyone but black people but that whole idea is born out of white relationship with owner.
At best your overestimating your stake as a participant by about 400 years with a sort of white "one drop rule." At worst your stealing.

Just try to have hip-hop without black people and see what you get.

DJTB YOMM