Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectA couple things...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12680215&mesg_id=12681367
12681367, A couple things...
Posted by Sarah_Bellum, Sat Dec-20-14 03:16 PM
I've cooked spaghetti for 30 years. Shit, my mom and her mom cooked spaghetti... and even if our spaghetti is the best thing you've ever tasted, spaghetti it's still Italian food.... think about it.

Now were there moors and greeks all kindsa people that passed through Italy, even contributed to it? Yes, but spaghetti is Italian. Now if I try to walk into any Italians kitchen and tell them "I run this spaghetti shit! I been doing this for 30 years!" guess what, they are going to call me the fuck out and say well actually... no you don't, this is part of our collective culture, birthed out of our collective an unique experience.
There is a thing white folks love to do and it's basically the back bone for this kinda "white-splanning". Just because you feel intimate with something, sometimes intensely so, that translates into ownership when it comes to Black peoples shit. It's never good enough to fully participate in it, enjoy, bath in it and even reap the emotional or financial reward of it. There always has to be that next level of "I own this." You feel intimate with hip hop but just like you might feel intimate with your wife or girlfriend but you didn't birth them. Collectively black people birthed hip-hop, the black experience is the birth canal and the black mind is the seed. There's just no way around that. It makes a lot of white participants feel uncomfortable but it's just true. And I find it odd how there are never these kinda arguments made for irish culture, italian culture, anyone's culture but ours. Can I put on a kilt and say say to a Scottish child, I been kilting it for 30 years before you were born, how you gon' tell me? NO ONE DOES THAT except when it's black peoples shit. That's the epitome of whites relationship with black culture and it's as old as they come.

The aeronautics comparison doesn't fly because technology is not culture. Now technology can influence culture but it is not culture in and of itself. There have been arguments made that technology belongs to the individual who created it but no such thing as collective technology in modern times, prehistory maybe.

You are extremely intimate with hip-hop and that is great, no one is saying you shouldn't be. But why is that never enough? Why is a possession always a requirement for white folks engaged in black culture?

DJTB YOMM